PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

wrxyboy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

^^^ thanks i was beginning to freak out. Ill give that a try.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Lurker

wrxyboy is a n00b
Re: EVO Full Root & OTA ROOT|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing| for n00b's + Vide

well that didnt work either. I typed su and got permission denied. Any ideas now. I am able to get to the boot loader. I did a factory wipe/restore and delvik wipe as well. Reloaded omj 1.6 rom. Just cant figure out why im not rooted.

Last edited by wrxyboy; 07-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxyboy View Post
well that didnt work either. I typed su and got permission denied. Any ideas now. I am able to get to the boot loader. I did a factory wipe/restore and delvik wipe as well. Reloaded omj 1.6 rom. Just cant figure out why im not rooted.
1st, is USB Debugging turn on?
If it is, then go to
Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Info, and list exactly what you have for these
Baseband version -
Software number -

Also, check your apps and make sure you have a Superuser Permissions Icon.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Lurker

wrxyboy is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
1st, is USB Debugging turn on?
If it is, then go to
Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Info, and list exactly what you have for these
Baseband version -
Software number -

Also, check your apps and make sure you have a Superuser Permissions Icon.
yes superuser permission icon is on and usb debugging. I tried to do wifi tethering and the app wont work. It makes me force close the im assuming that is because im not rooted.

Baseband version -1.36.00.04.02
Software number - 1.47.651.1 omj v1.6

Last edited by wrxyboy; 07-08-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
For some reason, when you're on 1.47.651.1 you get the $ first.
Type "su" and hit enter. You should get a Superuser Permission window on your phone to "Allow" or "Deny" then you're good to go. You should then see #.

Not sure why that happens after 1.47
It's not neccessarily a 1.47 thing.
The boot.img needs to be modified so adb has root access by default. If the chef doesn't mod it you'll get a $ even though you are rooted.
I checked via adb on OMJ and his is not modded for that. I told him about it.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

XxChris514xX is a n00b

For part 5Q, I did it and all, got the part 2 is scanning, and then it popped up with the command line of
/app-cache/com.android.browser/BEC48C17295CAF9F550BCD500A0A6F03/.foo.PWsZ8k
crw-rw-rw- root root 90, 2 2010-07-05 19:37 mtd1
and all that, but I must have accidentally typing in the
adb-windows shell /data/local/part2 again, because it went back to having that and part 2 is scanning. So I couldn't do anything. So I decided to try the step again, and have done it about 3 times, each time spamming the command all through startup, but all I can get out of it is part 2 is scanning. Maybe I'm not doing it fast enough, but would having it go through one time and screwing it up by executing it again have any impact? If so, what should I do?
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxyboy View Post
yes superuser permission icon is on and usb debugging. I tried to do wifi tethering and the app wont work. It makes me force close the im assuming that is because im not rooted.

Baseband version -1.36.00.04.02
Software number - 1.47.651.1 omj v1.6
When you type su for the first time Super User will pop up on the device and you have to hit Allow.
Edit:nvrmnd Fast already said that.

For WiFi tether a uninstall/reinstall usually fixes it.
Edit2:If you weren't rooted you wouldn't be as far along as you are.
There may be something wrong with your Super User.
What happens on your device when you type su in adb?
You may want to try a uninstall/reinstall of Super User.

whitslack has a flashable zip for Superuser. If you want to try that go to the link in my Sig.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-08-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

XxChris514xX is a n00b

Yeah, I've tried it a few more times and I really don't see how I wouldn't be hitting the window for 5Q. Is there any way to backtrack a few steps, so that I can kind of reset this step and do it correctly?

Edit: I went back to part 5L and did the whole part over again. When I got to 5Q, I must have done it correctly, because again it gave me the
command line, and as soon as I got it I went to get some water. When I came back, it now says

c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell /data/local/part2
part 2 is scanning

, and so I can't type anything in or continue with the rest of it. Why would it have that now? Maybe I hit up arrow+enter again after it was accepted or something, but how do I continue on from here?

Edit Edit: I found the problem. Apparently I was hitting it too fast, and I accidentally entered the command while part 2 was scanning, meaning that once it was done it tried to do it again. I was under the impression that there was like this impossibly hard to hit split second window where I had to enter it, but it's quite a bit longer than that. If anyone else has this problem, just go back to 5L and redo everything from there...and don't hit the
c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell /data/local/part2 an extra time while it's already scanning.

Last edited by XxChris514xX; 07-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxChris514xX View Post
Yeah, I've tried it a few more times and I really don't see how I wouldn't be hitting the window for 5Q. Is there any way to backtrack a few steps, so that I can kind of reset this step and do it correctly?

Edit: I went back to part 5L and did the whole part over again. When I got to 5Q, I must have done it correctly, because again it gave me the
command line, and as soon as I got it I went to get some water. When I came back, it now says

c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell /data/local/part2
part 2 is scanning

, and so I can't type anything in or continue with the rest of it. Why would it have that now? Maybe I hit up arrow+enter again after it was accepted or something, but how do I continue on from here?

Edit Edit: I found the problem. Apparently I was hitting it too fast, and I accidentally entered the command while part 2 was scanning, meaning that once it was done it tried to do it again. I was under the impression that there was like this impossibly hard to hit split second window where I had to enter it, but it's quite a bit longer than that. If anyone else has this problem, just go back to 5L and redo everything from there...and don't hit the
c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell /data/local/part2 an extra time while it's already scanning.
I did the same thing when I was doing the process yesterday. It doesn't affect it at all if you do it too many times. It will just sit at "scanning". You can close the window and start a new window for the next step.

As long as you got the "crw-rw-rw- root root 90" line, you're fine.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: A Perma-Temp Rooted HTC EVO 3D

RidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRidleyJ329 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

if im running the rooted stock rom and have the wifi tethering app installed am i still detectable by sprint or is there more i have to do?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos