PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: Rooting and Flashing EVO Instructions for super n00b's on PC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by imneveral0ne View Post
yeah, so i'd like to know that if i wanna do this, it will work.

after trying to get this recovery to work, my computer doesn't recognize my phone at all :-\
Is adb able to recognize your phone before recovery?
Google is the next skynet
Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imneveral0ne View Post
yeah, so i'd like to know that if i wanna do this, it will work.

after trying to get this recovery to work, my computer doesn't recognize my phone at all :-\
Mine didn't try to sync anymore either either until I rebooted the computer. Now it's back to business as usual.

Maybe that recovery is just compatible with the unrevoked method (or at least on phones that nstalled the OTA).
Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 PM
When will then be now?
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizon

imneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on repimneveral0ne is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to imneveral0ne Send a message via MSN to imneveral0ne Send a message via Yahoo to imneveral0ne

well i did the unrevoked method, but i decided to go ahead and do toasts method. i'm stuck here:

"6) When you select bootloader, it will show you more options. Don't pick anything at this time, just wait. It will read your storage card. This takes about 30secs and there is a progress bar on the top right. It's reading the PC36IMG.zip file you placed on the card."

its been sitting here for 5 minutes and its not asking me anything about updating or anything.

any sugestions?

EDIT: i coppied everything to my 8 gig card that they gave me, and now the rooting part is working, weird...

Last edited by imneveral0ne; 06-08-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yang704 View Post
Here is your answer. hacking and distribute idea are illegal........... Click the link if you think I'm kidding http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Tw...gslist-706397/
I guess ppcg, xda-devs and all of the hacking/tweaking/customizing communities are in trouble eh?

BTW, what does rooting; giving yourself superuser/administrator access to your own phone have to do with "Selling Pirated Software on Craigslist"?

-CC
Old 06-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by yang704 View Post
Here is your answer. hacking and distribute idea are illegal........... Click the link if you think I'm kidding http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Tw...gslist-706397/
dude they were selling pirated software, you don't think thats illegal? you didn't have to post this. they didn't get arrested for making cabs and roots, lol. what they were doing is extremely illegal and should be common sense.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

blazin-asian is keeping up the good workblazin-asian is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to blazin-asian

im another user having trouble with the "windows-recovery.bat" portion. i ran command prompt with admin rights, ran the adb recovery command and got to the screen with red triangle and exclamation point.

i have rooted using unrevoked as well and attached is the error i get when trying to run "windows-recovery.bat"

am i missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evo4g.JPG (47.2 KB, 34 views) Click for barcode!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

BlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on repBlackDynamite is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Okay, so I guess the question is:
Has anyone actually been successful with the recovery if they rooted using the unrevoked method, on a device that has the OTA update? I'm seeing a lot of people that couldn't get it to work (me being one of them). I am seeing people say it worked for them, but I haven't seen anyone specify that they were using the unrevoked method on a device that has the OTA installed.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazin-asian View Post
im another user having trouble with the "windows-recovery.bat" portion. i ran command prompt with admin rights, ran the adb recovery command and got to the screen with red triangle and exclamation point.

i have rooted using unrevoked as well and attached is the error i get when trying to run "windows-recovery.bat"

am i missing something?
I got that same error last night on my wife's phone. Her phone had not been rooted yet.
Just to see what would happen, I did the OTA and used unrevoked on her phone.
When I tried to go to recovery, I had the same issue.
I disconnected the phone, rebooted the pc, then connected the phone using HTC Sync and tried the .bat file again and it worked.
Then I was able to flash OMJ's rom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Okay, so I guess the question is:
Has anyone actually been successful with the recovery if they rooted using the unrevoked method, on a device that has the OTA update? I'm seeing a lot of people that couldn't get it to work (me being one of them). I am seeing people say it worked for them, but I haven't seen anyone specify that they were using the unrevoked method on a device that has the OTA installed.
I did it last night. The truth is, it's probably easier just to downgrade.
Basically you flash the latest signed rom, then you flash the original signed rom. Then you're back to square 1. Just follow my directions afterwards.

FYI - I'm recording a video of this process. Will be up later tonight hopefully.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
FYI - I'm recording a video of this process. Will be up later tonight hopefully.
A video is exactly what we need. That would be very much appreciated...
Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

blazin-asian is keeping up the good workblazin-asian is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to blazin-asian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
I got that same error last night on my wife's phone. Her phone had not been rooted yet.
Just to see what would happen, I did the OTA and used unrevoked on her phone.
When I tried to go to recovery, I had the same issue.
I disconnected the phone, rebooted the pc, then connected the phone using HTC Sync and tried the .bat file again and it worked.
Then I was able to flash OMJ's rom.
i just tried it again. i forgot to mention that i was connected using HTC Sync the whole time. im still getting the device not found error. im looking forward to your video and flashing this thing for the first time!

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos