PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
think you hit it right on the head...I did change my sdcard
I went to a 16Gb card AFTER the first root...

I kept all the files from the previous sd card...so I should probably format this one BEFORE I copy the old files onto the sdcard right?
I changed my card and I tried formating it. Neither worked for me.
I only changed it to a smaller card I had lying around because I was trying something out. As a result, I discovered I couldn't get the files to work.
I don't know how to format it so that it reads correctly.
Someone else may be able to help w/ that.
I would suggest using you're original 8gb for now just to get through the entire process.
Afterwards, put you're 16gb back in because it won't really matter.
You may want to copy over your Nandroid backup to the 16gb. Or maybe it's already on there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

ok...phone is now restoring nand.

all steps finally worked out...it WAS the sdcard. I had to format (fat32)..."remount"...then everything took off the way it was supposed to.

thanks to winmonewbie and fastrx8 for your help.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

edub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

how do you know you are fully rooted? i think i didnt install the pc36img thing
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub186 View Post
how do you know you are fully rooted? i think i didnt install the pc36img thing
Um, think you just answered your own question If the PC36IMG "thing" didnt install then you aren't fully rooted.
You did Part I of toast's method for root, not unrevoked?
Full root is easy to verify, power off your phone. Hold Down Vol while you power back on.
When you select Recovery does it boot to the Red Triangle of You Ain't Got Full Root? (no Recovery menu options, just the triangle symbol)
Or does it boot into Recovery-Green font, menu options at the top of the screen?
If ya dont got it, start over. Watch the video.

EDIT: BTW-Dont have your phone connected to your PC when you test it.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-17-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

edub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularedub186 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Um, think you just answered your own question If the PC36IMG "thing" didnt install then you aren't fully rooted.
You did Part I of toast's method for root, not unrevoked?
Full root is easy to verify, power off your phone. Hold Down Vol while you power back on.
When you select Recovery does it boot to the Red Triangle of You Ain't Got Full Root? (no Recovery menu options, just the triangle symbol)
Or does it boot into Recovery-Green font, menu options at the top of the screen?
If ya dont got it, start over. Watch the video.

EDIT: BTW-Dont have your phone connected to your PC when you test it.
its all green

after siting for a few moments it says
Main version is older!
Update Fail (in red letters)
Do you want to reboot device? (blue letters)
<vol up> yes (red letters)
<vol down> no (red letters)

then it says

Last edited by edub186; 06-17-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
its all green

Main version is older!

then it says
Nope you're not in Recovery yet when you see that, that's hboot.
Obviously the update isnt going.
Same thing happened to me the first time I tried it.
Remove the old PC36IMG from Part I if that is on your card-even if you renamed it-just in case.
You missed a step or something didnt go right with the flash_image and mtd-eng part of the process.
You need to start over at the Unlocking Nand Protection part.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo LTE

subzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuffsubzero1313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to subzero1313 Send a message via MSN to subzero1313 Send a message via Yahoo to subzero1313

Ive hit a wall. Idk what exactly happened but my phone wont read my SD card, BT won't turn on, and if I plug my phone in, it takes like 5 minutes for the phone to recognize the connection. And when I plug it into my PC, it won't give me the HTC sync option. Ive tried re-flashing, but like I said it wont recognize the SD card. I tried running the RUU for the stock ROM, but it said the phone wasnt connected to my PC. Ive read a couple threads on XDA about these issues, but unless Im doing something wrong, that's not working either. Anyone got any ideas? Or can break down the solution so my idiotic self can do it. lol, I thought if I mastered WinMo I could master any OS....I was wrong lol
Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
its all green

Main version is older!

then it says
I think you didn't run the commands from the adb shell. Step#3 from Unlocking NAND Protection
Old 06-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
Ive hit a wall. Idk what exactly happened but my phone wont read my SD card, BT won't turn on, and if I plug my phone in, it takes like 5 minutes for the phone to recognize the connection. And when I plug it into my PC, it won't give me the HTC sync option. Ive tried re-flashing, but like I said it wont recognize the SD card. I tried running the RUU for the stock ROM, but it said the phone wasnt connected to my PC. Ive read a couple threads on XDA about these issues, but unless Im doing something wrong, that's not working either. Anyone got any ideas? Or can break down the solution so my idiotic self can do it. lol, I thought if I mastered WinMo I could master any OS....I was wrong lol
What steps from post #1 did you do?
What custom rom did you load?
If you go to menu>settings>about phone>software info - What is your software number?

Also, if you hold down the volume button as you turn on the phone, you'll go straight into bootloader. Did you leave the PC36MIG.zip file on your sdcard?You might be able re-root and start over.
And, from bootloader, you should be able to connect to the phone using "adb-windows shell."
Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero1313 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
What steps from post #1 did you do?
What custom rom did you load?
If you go to menu>settings>about phone>software info - What is your software number?

Also, if you hold down the volume button as you turn on the phone, you'll go straight into bootloader. Did you leave the PC36MIG.zip file on your sdcard?You might be able re-root and start over.
And, from bootloader, you should be able to connect to the phone using "adb-windows shell."
Hey Sub-I answered you over in OMJ's thread-you said you reformatted the card, you may need to remount it in adb

adb remount

Not saying Fast isnt right, just thought I'd mention.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos