PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO - Root|Recovery|Nand Backup|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Quick update -
Thanks to orangekid & winmonewbie for pointing out that Full Root is now available for the EVO. You guys literally sent me the pm's 3 mins apart.
I had plans for tonight, but now I'm sitting at my desk getting ready to make a new video.

Instructions and video to follow soon.
You're welcome but the important question is...who was first?
lol

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion-I'm still reading toasts thread for issues but one thing that jumped out at me that is sure to trip users up is the fact that THIS IS NOT THE SAME PC36IMG.zip used in Step 1.

Posted instead of PM to get the word out.

I'm sure Fast will make it crystal clear if any of you have no idea what I'm taking about.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
You're welcome but the important question is...who was first?
lol

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion-I'm still reading toasts thread for issues but one thing that jumped out at me that is sure to trip users up is the fact that THIS IS NOT THE SAME PC36IMG.zip used in Step 1.

Posted instead of PM to get the word out.

I'm sure Fast will make it crystal clear if any of you have no idea what I'm taking about.
I noticed that too. I made sure that both files are showing on my SDcard in the video.
1 - root-PC36IMG.zip
2- eng-PC36IMG.zip

definitely will point that out because it's easy to overlook.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

d2burke is a n00b

Quote:
I remade the videos. Actually, now it's just one video that shows everything.
Plus, it's updated w/ the method I'm using now which is actually a little easier, especially for those having issues getting into recovery mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oja2a6O96wQ

Also, I'm adding a little F.A.Q. section. If you have any suggestions for what questions/answers I can put there, please let me know.

I need a bit of help...I've been reading and trying stuff for over an hour and I appreciate your instructions and video, but I'm still hung up. I watched the entire video...and even went back over it a bit. I'm one of those guys with the EVO and the red triangle At the 'Run recover-windows as Administrator' in Win 7 the cmd line just flashes on the screen and nothing happens. I just can't get it to install the recovery console.

I know I completed the first step where the phone runs the PC36IMG.zip and installs (?) that automatically...and then i'm supposed to have root...but i don't see the superuser app like when i rooted my N1...and I can't run root-only apps.

I bought mine on launch day and i'm sure i installed an update or two...what's my next step? Thanks for all your work here (everyone) and for whatever help you may be able to provide.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2burke View Post
I need a bit of help...I've been reading and trying stuff for over an hour and I appreciate your instructions and video, but I'm still hung up. I watched the entire video...and even went back over it a bit. I'm one of those guys with the EVO and the red triangle At the 'Run recover-windows as Administrator' in Win 7 the cmd line just flashes on the screen and nothing happens. I just can't get it to install the recovery console.
The order you do things is important. Red triangle>then plug in USB>then run the recover-windows.bat file.
EDIT:Also you may be able to run it as a user, without Admin.

Quote:
I know I completed the first step where the phone runs the PC36IMG.zip and installs (?) that automatically...and then i'm supposed to have root...but i don't see the superuser app like when i rooted my N1...and I can't run root-only apps.
You most likely will NOT see SU icon on stock ROM immediately post root. Flash a custom ROM or the rooted version of Stock and you should be golden.

Quote:
I bought mine on launch day and i'm sure i installed an update or two...what's my next step? Thanks for all your work here (everyone) and for whatever help you may be able to provide.
FULL root is out (the process to date has been basically 1/2 root). You need to do these steps anyway so go ahead and try again.
Keep your eyes open for details from Fast about the next phase to get to full root.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-15-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Full root available now: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125186

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)
Old 06-14-2010, 11:32 PM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixjn View Post
Quote:
Quick update -
Thanks to orangekid & winmonewbie for pointing out that Full Root is now available for the EVO. You guys literally sent me the pm's 3 mins apart.
I had plans for tonight, but now I'm sitting at my desk getting ready to make a new video.

Instructions and video to follow soon.
It's been added to the 1st post. I'm still going to tweak the directions a little but I'm currently editing the video.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC ONE
Carrier: Ting

Mystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the community

Just finished the full root, the auto recovery app worked great. I did the nand backup with it, and it restored everything just how it was.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

ilovemyevo is a n00b

Need a little assistance. I Rooted my phone like the instructions said. I just rooted it nothing more and when i use Wireless Tether for Root Users" by Muller, Lemons, Buxton, and i press the tether button in the center of the screen it says "unable to start tethering. Please try again!" any ideas why?
Old 06-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyevo View Post
Need a little assistance. I Rooted my phone like the instructions said. I just rooted it nothing more and when i use Wireless Tether for Root Users" by Muller, Lemons, Buxton, and i press the tether button in the center of the screen it says "unable to start tethering. Please try again!" any ideas why?
So you are on the stock ROM but rooted?
Do you have an SU (Superuser) icon under programs (apps)?

If not that could be your issue. I've read people trying to run the stock ROM after root encountering issues.
You could flash the rooted version of the stock ROM
http://geekfor.me/evo/21/stock-evo-update-zip/
or a custom ROM.

I went right to custom ROM (OMJ) after root.

EDIT: FULL ROOT FTW!!!!!

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-15-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Threadstarter

Full Root Nand Protection video is done and in post #2
Edit - nevermind. Too long. Be right back.

Ok, here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXTB0eydwE
Still processing though.

Last edited by FastRX8; 06-15-2010 at 02:51 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos