PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

jthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Ok, you are sort of correct.
You rooted in the sense that you have root access, but the rom itself is not a rooted rom.
That causes conflicts. And if you don't see the SU icon, that causes issues too.

If you're happy w/ the stock rom and don't want to make any changes, I would suggest flashing the rooted version of the latest stock rom, courtesy of flipzmode ---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=697636

If you'd like to test the waters w/ a stable, reliable custom rom, may I suggest OMJ's rom --->http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123534
He removed some of the bloatware from sprint, added some useful apps and he has a link to all the removed sprint apps on the first post. You can just extract them to your sdcard and install them if it's an app you use.

Also, with any rom you choose, you may also want to flash the latest radio.
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 05:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 600...Mogul...Touch Pro...Touch Pro 2...Evo

Acedooncoon is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Acedooncoon Send a message via Yahoo to Acedooncoon
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

So i finally went ahead a rooted and flashed my evo....Had it for less than a week but did it anyways...and I have to say...VERY VERY VERY EASY...VERY VERY SIMPLE!..I jus watched the video and that was it....Cant really understand why others are haven any issues....its like having an Open Book Exam....im very happy I can use tether....its very very useful....thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

ok...i've typed in the commands...but it won't ask me to flash the pc36img.zip. This is for nand backup...full ROOT. Should I try it without HTC sync and just charge only? would that make a difference?

have checked and usb debug was connected...

after I typed in the commands in the shell...nothing happens...

do I NEED full root with NAND unlock to flash ROMs really? I'm already on OMJ's

Last edited by amw1972; 06-17-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
ok...i've typed in the commands...but it won't ask me to flash the pc36img.zip. This is for nand backup...full ROOT. Should I try it without HTC sync and just charge only? would that make a difference?

have checked and usb debug was connected...

after I typed in the commands in the shell...nothing happens...

do I NEED full root with NAND unlock to flash ROMs really? I'm already on OMJ's
Yes, try with Charge Only.

You need full root to write to /system and to do restore without a PC (ROM Manager does this but it's not exactly the same)

With the ability to write to system we can pull/add apps to /system/apps vs only /data/apps as we can now, without full root. There be more benes but I'm still learing

You can flash ROM's now obviously, but my *GUESS* is that you may not be able to flash future ROM's that are written for full root. That is just a n00b guess though
Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Jailbroken and rooted

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP

thnx for the quick reply...

have tried charge only...with usb debug connected...

still not asking if I want to flash the pc36img.zip

was there something that's supposed to happen after the 3 lines are typed into the shell???

after I typed in the last line and hit enter...nothing happens.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

was there something that's supposed to happen after the 3 lines are typed into the shell???

You mean these three:

cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

???

If that's what you meant you dont type any commands to run/flash the PC36IMG.zip
If you are at that stage you power off the phone then hold Down Vol while powering back up to load into hboot.
If the file is on your card AND named correctly (including capitals-I think)
it should find it and load it automatically.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Jailbroken and rooted

i double chked...it is named properly...and it is placed at the root of the sdcard.

the bootloader finds the file...loads it...checks it...but it doesn't ask if I want to flash it.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

Did you watch the video?
The video shows you type the 3 lines, hit enter after each line.
Then power down the phone and reboot into bootloader. (or you can just type "reboot bootloader" as a 4th line)
Bootloader is what reads the PC36IMG.zip
Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
i double chked...it is named properly...and it is placed at the root of the sdcard.

the bootloader finds the file...loads it...checks it...but it doesn't ask if I want to flash it.
OK, so you're actually in bootloader.
What does it say then? Wrong file? Wrong image?
It should say something.
It looks for PC36IMG.img, PC36IMG.nbh, then PC36IMG.zip.
It will give you a message after each file. What does it say after the zip file?

Did you change your sdcard? Or did you format your sdcard? When I changed my card I couldn't get any of these things to read correctly.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Jailbroken and rooted

think you hit it right on the head...I did change my sdcard
I went to a 16Gb card AFTER the first root...

I kept all the files from the previous sd card...so I should probably format this one BEFORE I copy the old files onto the sdcard right?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos