PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

dodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIPdodge_longhorn is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

i have the file on my sd card and i have the phone set to htc sync should i just do charge only?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC ONE
Carrier: Ting

Mystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the communityMystery is a trusted member of the community
Re: EVO Full Root|Recovery|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_longhorn View Post
i have the file on my sd card and i have the phone set to htc sync should i just do charge only?
Yes change it to charge only and it should work.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: sprint

itouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on repitouch24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...C%20Evo%20ROMs

ROMS consolidated in one spot

FRESH/OMJ/DAMAGE ... HMMM, decisions

does 4g work on rooted phone .. i have read that people had isues with 4g not sure if that was ROM specific

and when u root phone u loose hotspot access? can anyone confirm
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsachirpthing View Post
Coming from a touch pro 2 the Android system is growing on me. I have successfully rooted, nand backup, and flashed OMJ's Rom without a hitch. I have attempted to unlock the nand and feel that I have completed it. However, how can I verify that I have successfully unlocked the nand? Thanks for the great thread guys!
Did you do the restore step? If you did, and you're back to were you started with the same custom rom, the NAND Unlock worked.
During the NAND Unlock process, you loaded the PC36IMG.zip and it changed your startup screen. Once you restore, it goes back to normal.
Also, in the adb shell, if something didn't work, you'd get an error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge_longhorn View Post
Charge only works. The reason I used HTC Sync in the video was for 2 reasons
1 - It forces people to at least have the right drivers installed because they loaded HTC Sync
2 - Early on, I was seeing "USB Debugging" go off when using "Charge Only."
USB Debugging must be turned on for any of the shell commands to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itouch24 View Post
does 4g work on rooted phone .. i have read that people had isues with 4g not sure if that was ROM specific

and when u root phone u loose hotspot access? can anyone confirm
To my knowledge, the current custom roms have fixed any 4G issues that existed earlier.
I believe the Sprint Hotspot no longer works when you're rooted.
However, that's the point. You install Wifi tether for rooted users and save the $30/month.
As I said before, you can go custom and do it for free and then call Sprint to cancel the Hotspot. Donate $10/month to your rom chef and $5/month to me for saving you $15/month.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

jthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuff

Is there a way to test or check that the root actually works? I did all the steps above to root the phone and WiFi Tethering is still not working and I was told that I need to make sure my phone is rooted... Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas8946 View Post
Is there a way to test or check that the root actually works? I did all the steps above to root the phone and WiFi Tethering is still not working and I was told that I need to make sure my phone is rooted... Thanks!
Read posts #346 & #347, that'll clear things up for you.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker

jthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuffjthomas8946 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Read posts #346 & #347, that'll clear things up for you.
I followed the steps in post 347 (it was easier). According to that post, I am rooted. However, I am unable to install the SuperUser White List to use for Tethering. I get a message that the installation was unsuccessful. The poster talked about this app in post 347 also. Any ideas?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I followed the steps in post 347 (it was easier). According to that post, I am rooted. However, I am unable to install the SuperUser White List to use for Tethering. I get a message that the installation was unsuccessful. The poster talked about this app in post 347 also. Any ideas?
What rooted rom did you flash?
Do you see the SU Icon?
Did you wipe?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
What rooted rom did you flash?
Do you see the SU Icon?
Did you wipe?
I did not use a rooted ROM. I was under the impression that I could root the OEM ROM. That maybe my problem. No I do not see the SU Icon and yes I did do a wipe.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
I did not use a rooted ROM. I was under the impression that I could root the OEM ROM. That maybe my problem. No I do not see the SU Icon and yes I did do a wipe.
Ok, you are sort of correct.
You rooted in the sense that you have root access, but the rom itself is not a rooted rom.
That causes conflicts. And if you don't see the SU icon, that causes issues too.

If you're happy w/ the stock rom and don't want to make any changes, I would suggest flashing the rooted version of the latest stock rom, courtesy of flipzmode ---> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=697636

If you'd like to test the waters w/ a stable, reliable custom rom, may I suggest OMJ's rom --->http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123534
He removed some of the bloatware from sprint, added some useful apps and he has a link to all the removed sprint apps on the first post. You can just extract them to your sdcard and install them if it's an app you use.

Also, with any rom you choose, you may also want to flash the latest radio.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos