PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

donniezazen is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | for n00b's with vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowsquat View Post
Totally, move them into a folder or save them on your PC.
Thanks. Do i need them to get into recovery mode? Or ROM Manager can do it on its own?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVERYTHING EVO - Rooting | NAND | Flashing Roms | for n00b's with vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniezazen View Post
What's the difference between Titanium Backup and ROM backup? Will restoring ROM backup using ROM manager restore everything? Titanium backup is to backup all apps and settings and ROM backup to backup the OS.
Do you have a habit of answering your own questions? You are correct. Use ROM Manager backup as a failsafe in case you want
/need to jump back to where you left off before flashing the new ROM. It is essentially the same as the NAND backup.

Quote:
Thanks. Do i need them to get into recovery mode? Or ROM Manager can do it on its own?
No those files are no longer needed provided you completed all the steps successfully. ROM Manager will boot you into Recovery. So will an app from the Market called Quickboot. Of course there's also the manual way of booting into bootloader and then selecting Recovery but those two apps make that way pointless.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-27-2010 at 05:22 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Lurker

donniezazen is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowsquat View Post
Do you have a habit of answering your own questions? You are correct. Use ROM Manager backup as a failsafe in case you want
/need to jump back to where you left off before flashing the new ROM. It is essentially the same as the NAND backup.

No those files are no longer needed provided you completed all the steps successfully. ROM Manager will boot you into Recovery. So will an app from the Market called Quickboot. Of course there's also the manual way of booting into bootloader and then selecting Recovery but those two apps make that way pointless.
Thanks. Hehe, I am 5 days old in Android world and overwhelmed by choices. Thank you so much for answering my idiotic questions.

One more question. Is ROM Backup different from nandroid backup? To be on safer side when testing a new ROM i should first backup using titanium, then ROM manager and then nandroid. Have i answered my question...lol
Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Jspecrx7 is just getting started

Donniezazen good question, I was wondering that my self. I've downloaded both titanium and rom manager but have been waiting to get the specifics on what to do before trying it. I figure Titanium then Rom manager but not sure what boxes to check within the apps. I believe Rom manager serves the same purpose as nanroid, not sure.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Lurker

donniezazen is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspecrx7 View Post
Donniezazen good question, I was wondering that my self. I've downloaded both titanium and rom manager but have been waiting to get the specifics on what to do before trying it. I figure Titanium then Rom manager but not sure what boxes to check within the apps. I believe Rom manager serves the same purpose as nanroid, not sure.
I also want to know if Titanium can be used across different ROMs and from 2.1 to 2.2.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Thanks. Hehe, I am 5 days old in Android world and overwhelmed by choices. Thank you so much for answering my idiotic questions.

One more question. Is ROM Backup different from nandroid backup? To be on safer side when testing a new ROM i should first backup using titanium, then ROM manager and then nandroid. Have i answered my question...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspecrx7 View Post
Quote:
I also want to know if Titanium can be used across different ROMs and from 2.1 to 2.2.
IF there's a difference between nand backup and ROM backup I havent found it so I'll say no. I've read that you can take the files from one and put it into the folder of the other so that leads me to believe they are the same.
After flashing a new ROM I'd just pick one nand or ROM Manager backup and Titanium (reasoning explained below). If you were uber-paranoid you COULD run all three but it's not necessary.

Titanium backup--while you can take it ROM to ROM within the same OS version if the ROMs were completely different some data may not transfer well.
You can however use the Titanium backup to carry your apps from 2.1 to 2.1 even if they are vastly different ROM OR from 2.1 to 2.2 (provided they're written for 2.2). While there may be some exceptions, for the most part most of your system data wont transfer from 2.1 to 2.2. Contacts and Calendar backed up via gmail being the exception (without using Titanium)

@Jspecrx7-within Titanium the choice is yours. I'd backup EVERYTHING then when you go to restore you can pick and choose what you want to add back into the new ROM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

vinnyt225 is a n00b
Exclamation 1-click root????

apparantly the droid x just got a one click root method. does the evo have one??

all i want is to get the wifi tethering and the rest i dont care about.

no ones helping me with this post: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=128790

anyone care to guide me through this process please!!! thankssssssss

p.s i have ota 1.47.651.1 currently installed and stock everything!!

Last edited by vinnyt225; 07-28-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch,Mogul,DiAMOND,Hero,EVO

davedamit is just getting started
Re: 1-click root????

I tried about 8 times to root using the "rooting for n00bs" guide, (which is an awseome piece of work, Thanks again!) and I am not new to any of this. I got every error and then some.

Used this, actually about 4 clicks: http://myevo4g.net/simple/

Last edited by davedamit; 07-28-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Almost a VIP

rjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuffrjmjr69 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedamit View Post
I tried about 8 times to root using the "rooting for n00bs" guide, and I am not new to any of this. I got every error and then some.

Used this, actually about 4 clicks: http://myevo4g.net/simple/
This is a good app but if you have 1.47 it most likely wont work fully for you. if you dont get the dreaded main version is older error your all set. if you do get that error pm me I will walk you thru the process as long as you have an hour or so its not very easy

Last edited by rjmjr69; 07-28-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Konfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on repKonfuzion is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Man I helped you.... 3 click root inst much more work than a 1 click root. lol

PPC 6700 > HTC Diamond > HTC Hero > HTC Evo

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos