PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: u.s cellular

thankobidient is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

On the very first step after entering the command prompt, as soon as type "adb-windows shell' and hit enter, i am getting an error message as folows

adb-server is out of date.killig........
*daemon started succesfully*
#

I am getting the # sign instead of $ sign...

please tell me if thats fine or something is wrong here
Old 07-20-2010, 06:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

stogchris81 is just getting started
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Hope the new machine gets it for you, didnt run Simple root so I'm at a loss.
You used Charge Only or HTC Sync with USB Debugging enabled and Simple root still wont go?
Did you search their thread?
I searched "wont work" and got this among other hits:

Originally posted by revlis240
here is my piece of advice for you guys:

MAKE SURE THAT THE DOS WINDOW HAS THE FOCUS 100% OF THE TIME.

I had to run through the steps twice because somewhere in between step 2 and 3 I clicked away from the dos screen which caused it to lose focus and it SEEMs to be fine, but it is not. Also, in step 3 make sure that you are seeing the flash animation and that its fully loaded, this is very important. I didnt see it the first time and that caused problems.

So, Run through all the steps and DO NOT CLICK ANYWHERE ELSE while the screen is working. Use the video on the link on the first page to reference how much time each step should take. If you follow the steps EXACTLY, I see no reason it should not work.

My evo is 3 days old, with the latest OTAs and all the crap sprint threw at it, I was still able to use simpleroot and put damage control on it with ease

good luck
i actually did read a bunch of that thread. my machine just plain isnt communicating with my phone. i can mount the sd card and browse its contents with explorer...but sync wont work and "adb devices" wont return my device.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

im reading now in device manager under My HTC that windows cant initialize the driver. i try to update it to the drivers i downloaded from sdk and windows tells me that the current driver is working properly.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankobidient View Post
On the very first step after entering the command prompt, as soon as type "adb-windows shell' and hit enter, i am getting an error message as folows

adb-server is out of date.killig........
*daemon started succesfully*
#

I am getting the # sign instead of $ sign...

please tell me if thats fine or something is wrong here
I thought you already went through this process? If you're rooted then you should be seeing the #.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogchris81 View Post
i actually did read a bunch of that thread. my machine just plain isnt communicating with my phone. i can mount the sd card and browse its contents with explorer...but sync wont work and "adb devices" wont return my device.
Try this:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices

I know this isnt your first rodeo but when you ran the SDK setup are you sure you got all the updated packages? There's a force download option to try even if you think you got all the packages. I downloaded EVERYthing when I got the SDK since I had no clue what I would need and what I wouldnt.

OR

Did you try to uninstall HTC Sync, reboot PC, plug in phone again, reinstall latest Sync from HTC site?

Just throwing stuff against the wall in the hopes that something sticks....
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

no, by all means throw anything at me. i will try each your suggestions.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
no, by all means throw anything at me. i will try each your suggestions.
OK in that case also try different USB ports and turn off any virus protection while you are trying to get things set up
Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

will do.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

hey winmonewbie...i tried everything you said.
what finally did it for me was completely uninstalling anything having to do with sdk and somehow forcing windows to install the correct sync driver(but i had tried that a dozen times already). after that, i ran simpleroot ota without a problem.

thank you for all of your help. you are a good dood.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
hey winmonewbie...i tried everything you said.
what finally did it for me was completely uninstalling anything having to do with sdk and somehow forcing windows to install the correct sync driver(but i had tried that a dozen times already). after that, i ran simpleroot ota without a problem.

thank you for all of your help. you are a good dood.
Schweet! Glad you're up and running! Enjoy.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos