PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE
Carrier: Sprint

AYSIANA is keeping up the good workAYSIANA is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: EVO - Root|Recovery|Nand Backup|Flashing for n00b's Instructions & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
No clue, but Rom Manager has been doing some screwy things.

I'm confused, are you actually running a rooted rom?
Which stock rom are you using?
If you root the phone, but don't flash a rooted rom, you'll have issues. (Like missing apps in the store)
Im on the stock 1.32.651.1 which I had to downgrade to from thee 1.32.651.6 before rooting. I guess I cant say for sure Im rooted or not but I assume I am or else the apps that I have that require being rooted wouldnt work, right?

I dont want to flash to any custom roms until I know more about Android. Plus I dont see anything wrong with the stock rom other than having a bunch of apps I dont want/need, other than that, its fine for now.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSIANA View Post
Im on the stock 1.32.651.1 which I had to downgrade to from thee 1.32.651.6 before rooting. I guess I cant say for sure Im rooted or not but I assume I am or else the apps that I have that require being rooted wouldnt work, right?

I dont want to flash to any custom roms until I know more about Android. Plus I dont see anything wrong with the stock rom other than having a bunch of apps I dont want/need, other than that, its fine for now.
There's the issue.

I'm sure that someone could explain this better than me, but I'll just put it in simple terms because I don't know exactly what I'm doing yet.

You rooted your phone, which means you gave yourself access to be a Superuser. So, like you said, apps that need SU will work. The problem is, you're doing this on a rom that was not designed to work w/ SU permissions.

Some developers have taken the exact same rom you have and tweaked it so that it works with SU permissions. In other words, it is a Rooted Stock Rom. Nothing changes other than the fact that it doesn't mind you having SU permissions.

It's kind of like me giving you a wooden box w/ a bunch of stuff in it. But the box is completely sealed and nailed shut on every side. You could punch a hole it, and get access to everything, but that's not what the box was designed for. However, some guy over at XDA-Carpenters takes that same box and builds a door into it, now you have the same box with the same contents, but your accessing it the way it was intended.

So...
Your solution is...

Install the stock rooted Sprint rom.

This thread has every rom --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=698044
You should install "Stock with Root, OTA update1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideawake View Post
This guide seemed a more of all in one and better than the other sticked how-to. So I stuck this one instead.
~mike
And thank you.

Last edited by FastRX8; 06-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

xunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to xunknownx

Quote:
When you install Rom Manager, if everything goes according to plan, update.zip is placed on the root of your sd card.
Someone else had similar issue. He just got the update.zip and placed it on the root of the card. I attached a copy of my update.zip to this post.

However, like AYSIANA, I had issues actually installing a rom from Rom Manager. (See her response below) She got it to work using the manual method just like I had to do.
i placed that update.zip file in the root of my sd card. rebooted and it worked perfectly. after applying the update.zip, i rebooted my phone. what do i now? i just want to remove the sprint stuff.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g LTE

AYSIANA is keeping up the good workAYSIANA is keeping up the good work

Quote:
So...
Your solution is...

Install the stock rooted Sprint rom.

This thread has every rom --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=698044
You should install "Stock with Root, OTA update1"
Ok so I guess thats what Ill do although after all the problems I had last night, I am VERY afraid!! Lol...I was at it until 3:58am last night!! So to flash to the "Stock with Root, OTA update1"...do I just attach it to my pc and run the ruu file and then Im good to go?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by xunknownx View Post
i placed that update.zip file in the root of my sd card. rebooted and it worked perfectly. after applying the update.zip, i rebooted my phone. what do i now? i just want to remove the sprint stuff.
Won't happen. That's not what superuser permissions do.
For that, you'll have to flash a custom rom that either has them removed, or has the ability to let you uninstall them.
Check the upgrades section. OMJ's rom has them removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYSIANA View Post
Ok so I guess thats what Ill do although after all the problems I had last night, I am VERY afraid!! Lol...I was at it until 3:58am last night!! So to flash to the "Stock with Root, OTA update1"...do I just attach it to my pc and run the ruu file and then Im good to go?
Pretty sure that file is a zip file. You need to follow the "Flashing" instructions on the first post or try your luck w/ Rom Manager. Either way, you'll need to copy the zip to the root of the sdcard.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

wetbar is a n00b

help - wow what did I do? OK I downloaded the zip file. first of all should the file be like 250 Meg? put it in my root dir rebooted with button down came up with the 5 options about reboot hboot whatever. Wait the 10 sec it says found the zip file but then says images are bad, and goes back to the 5 options. It did this the first time so no I have not rooted yet. I ran the recovery incase some how I rooted and didnt know I did? Now I get the triangle with the " !" in the middle when I hook it to my pc. hum
Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 PM
you know ...
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D

meatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on repmeatgel is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to meatgel

So, I read everything 100 times before I jump in ... if I am reading this correctly, downgrading if you did the OTA is no longer necessary, right?

(I also don't trust myself and would like a little confirmation to make me feel better.)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...62&postcount=1

Sprint Evo 3D! ...

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

xunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxunknownx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to xunknownx

Quote:
Won't happen. That's not what superuser permissions do.
For that, you'll have to flash a custom rom that either has them removed, or has the ability to let you uninstall them.
Check the upgrades section. OMJ's rom has them removed.
ok i also want to remove ads by going into recovery mode.
following these instructions
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&highlight=ads
i'm now in recovery mode but how do i run adp?
i downloaded the android sdk from here
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
extracted it to C:\androidSDK
i opened up a command prompt
directed it to C:\androidSDK\tools
and when i try type adp in the command prompt, i get a 'adp is not recognized as an internal or external command'
Old 06-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Dude, you're stickied!!! It's only right
Thanks Wide!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrnugh View Post
I am a complete and total NOOB and this was simply brillant! I wish I could thank you more and more and more. Truly thanks!
You can! I'm sure Fast isn't looking for a bloated Rep but if you truly feel ANY member deserves a double Thank, just find another post of theirs and slap it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatgel View Post
So, I read everything 100 times before I jump in ... if I am reading this correctly, downgrading if you did the OTA is no longer necessary, right?

(I also don't trust myself and would like a little confirmation to make me feel better.)

You should be golden Bro, I rooted via Fast's tutorial right from the OTA and am loving life! Thought maybe I just got lucky but thank YOU for the link, now I now I didn't.

Quote:
and when i try type adp in the command prompt, i get a 'adp is not recognized as an internal or external command'
Try:
adb-windows

EDITED-haha, I copied the OP's "adp" by mistake

Last edited by iknowsquat; 06-11-2010 at 06:36 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetbar View Post
help - wow what did I do? OK I downloaded the zip file. first of all should the file be like 250 Meg? put it in my root dir rebooted with button down came up with the 5 options about reboot hboot whatever. Wait the 10 sec it says found the zip file but then says images are bad, and goes back to the 5 options. It did this the first time so no I have not rooted yet. I ran the recovery incase some how I rooted and didnt know I did? Now I get the triangle with the " !" in the middle when I hook it to my pc. hum
The PC36IMG.zip file is about 168mb. Not sure what you have downloaded.
The /!\ screen is the first part of the recovery section. If your PC36 file didn't work, you're not rooted so there is no point in going into the recovery screen.
Just pull the battery.
Make sure you get a good PM36IMG.zip file and make sure it's on the root of the storage card. BTW - I downgraded to stock a couple of hours ago. I put a smaller sdcard in and formated it. Then I copied the PC36IMG.zip file over to the card, tried to root, and also got a message that the 'image was wrong.' Tried several times and even took the file straight off my original card to the other smaller sdcard. Still got an error. Put the original 8gb card back in, and it worked. Did you by any chance change your card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatgel View Post

You should be fine. However, I have a question for you...
If you haven't started any of the process yet, and you're on a completely stock rom w/ the OTA, if you don't mind, I'd like to walk you through the entire process by phone/chat?

Rom manager has been pumping out updates faster than I can download them. I think they are fixing stuff, but when I downgrade to stock, I still have the same issue w/ Rom Manager. I have 2 Evo's and they have the same thing happen, but I think it's because I've already rooted, upgraded, and then downgraded. The only way to be sure is to find someone that has a completely stock rom.

If rom manager doesn't work, I can walk you through the manual method, which I think is very easy anyways.

If we can do this, I wouldn't be able to call you until about 6:30PM PST (7:30PM your time in Colorado) but at least you'd get personalized help rooting and flashing your phone.

Quote:
I don't know anything about androidSDK or using the adb commands. However, in your example you wrote "adp" which is a security company
Did you mis-type it on the pc too?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos