PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

stogchris81 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

because of problems i am having with htc sync and the android sdk(adb) , and because my new evo came with OTA 1.47.651.1, would it be possible to root OTA 1.47.651.1 without adb or sync?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:03 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogchris81 View Post
because of problems i am having with htc sync and the android sdk(adb) , and because my new evo came with OTA 1.47.651.1, would it be possible to root OTA 1.47.651.1 without adb or sync?
Well Simple Root may help but you still need HTC Sync
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720565

What issues ya got?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
Well Simple Root may help but you still need HTC Sync
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720565

What issues ya got?
i have tried every which way to install sync on my vista pc, but my phone keeps saying my pc does not have it. device manager even calls it my htc. i downloaded and installed the sdk, but i cant get adb to work. device manager doesnt see an adb device at all. just a usb storage device and a usb composite device.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
i have tried every which way to install sync on my vista pc, but my phone keeps saying my pc does not have it. device manager even calls it my htc. i downloaded and installed the sdk, but i cant get adb to work. device manager doesnt see an adb device at all. just a usb storage device and a usb composite device.
Well I wouldn't worry about the fact that your phone can't find Sync on your PC. That's common. If you haven't, make sure you have the latest version from HTC. The link on the Simple root thread should take you to HTC.
I would still try to run Simple root.
As far as adb goes, I've heard that Vista will sometimes DL the drivers needed but wont install them correctly. One work-around is to do multiple reboots of the PC and device, reconnecting the phone after each reboot.
Another option may be try to manually update drivers from device manager.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

i tried running simple root, after choosing htc sync when i plugged my phone to usb, the program on pc was working, but nothing happened on the phone.

what state should the phone be in while trying to manually install the adb drivers?
btw, thanks thank you for your help.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Yo, VIP - Let's Kick It!!
Pocket PC: EVO - Rooted & OMJ's Rom
Threadstarter

FastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the communityFastRX8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
i tried running simple root, after choosing htc sync when i plugged my phone to usb, the program on pc was working, but nothing happened on the phone.

what state should the phone be in while trying to manually install the adb drivers?
btw, thanks thank you for your help.
Your phone should be on charging only w/ usb debugging turned on.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

roofus3000 is just getting started

Will rooting erase my installed apps? Sorry Im new to android rooting

If so how do i reinstall everything that i had on my phone...it took a long time to get everything just right.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus3000 View Post
Will rooting erase my installed apps? Sorry Im new to android rooting

If so how do i reinstall everything that i had on my phone...it took a long time to get everything just right.
rooting will erase everything. backup with titanium backup or just reinstall from the market. to be safe, you should read through the rooting thread to see what other issues might arise from rooting.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Thank you winmonewbie and fastrx8 for the help...but I give up. Nothing is working. I am going to try to install the sdk on a friends pc and see if it works. I installed sdk on my pc numerous times for my G1 and used adb plenty of times. No idea why it won't work now.

Unless it is possible to root the latest ota w/o adb or sync. But everything I have seen so far says not.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Thank you winmonewbie and fastrx8 for the help...but I give up. Nothing is working. I am going to try to install the sdk on a friends pc and see if it works. I installed sdk on my pc numerous times for my G1 and used adb plenty of times. No idea why it won't work now.

Unless it is possible to root the latest ota w/o adb or sync. But everything I have seen so far says not.
Hope the new machine gets it for you, didnt run Simple root so I'm at a loss.
You used Charge Only or HTC Sync with USB Debugging enabled and Simple root still wont go?
Did you search their thread?
I searched "wont work" and got this among other hits:

Originally posted by revlis240
here is my piece of advice for you guys:

MAKE SURE THAT THE DOS WINDOW HAS THE FOCUS 100% OF THE TIME.

I had to run through the steps twice because somewhere in between step 2 and 3 I clicked away from the dos screen which caused it to lose focus and it SEEMs to be fine, but it is not. Also, in step 3 make sure that you are seeing the flash animation and that its fully loaded, this is very important. I didnt see it the first time and that caused problems.

So, Run through all the steps and DO NOT CLICK ANYWHERE ELSE while the screen is working. Use the video on the link on the first page to reference how much time each step should take. If you follow the steps EXACTLY, I see no reason it should not work.

My evo is 3 days old, with the latest OTAs and all the crap sprint threw at it, I was still able to use simpleroot and put damage control on it with ease

good luck
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos