PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

tool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stufftool2269 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Re: newbie looking to learn...(root issues)

you need to know which software version your phone has.. and you need to know which hboot your phone has.

software version menu>settings>about phone>software info> software number

hboot..turn off phone.. press volume down and hold pwr button. at top find hboot version. (to get out just vol down to 'reboot' then press pwr)

this information will determine which root method you can use. this thread might be of help: SprintUsers.com - View Single Post - EVO Custom ROM's Thread

various root guides can be found here: EVO 4G Android Development - xda-developers
Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

leerage is keeping up the good workleerage is keeping up the good work

So is the phone working right now? If you got the phone less than a week ago, it will have HBOOT 2.02 or 2.10. Using the Unrevoked method on it will not work and you probably just erased your 4G RSA key since Unrevoked isn't coded for those partitions.

This is the tutorial you need to use is if you have HBOOT 2.02 or 2.10:

[ROOT][GUIDE] HBoot 2.02/2.10 SOFF - The Savior Edition - Upd. 12.26.10 - xda-developers

Edit- I'm hoping when you used the Unrevoked method it didn't wipe out the RSA key. Once you verify your HBOOT version (I'm assuming it is 2.02 or 2.10), use the tutorial above and get it rooted.

Last edited by leerage; 12-28-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc evo
Carrier: sprint

jon31592 is a n00b

Yeah, the phone works fine, it is 2.02 and I have decided to go with that method... my software number is 3.30.651.3 that shouldent affect me should it? I mean, on the forum it doesent say anything about the software number I don't think.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon31592 View Post
Yeah, the phone works fine, it is 2.02 and I have decided to go with that method... my software number is 3.30.651.3 that shouldent affect me should it? I mean, on the forum it doesent say anything about the software number I don't think.
No the software number doesn't effect anything. The newer builds from chefs have the latest 3.70 OTA so once you flash a custom ROM, you will be up to 3.70.

Proceed with the linked tutorial and you'll be rooted in no time. I'd also perform the back up of your RSA key as stated in the tutorial.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Lurker

jon31592 is a n00b

Okay, so things were goin alright up until step 4b. I typed "chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage" and I get "chmod0755: permission denied"

I clicked the 2 links for why this might be but those were both referring to around step 10... talking about the red triangle and such... and I never even had htc sync on my computer to begin with...
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Lurker

jon31592 is a n00b

Previous problem was operator error... *heavy sigh*...

This is what i got....
[*] adb connection will be reset. Restart adb server on desktop and re-login.
$
C:\hboot_2.xx_soff-V8.4>adb shell
$

And so I did what it says I rebooted the phone and now it won't even recognise it when I plug it in... it charges, but that's it.... now when I..

C:\hboot_2.xx_soff-V8.4>adb shell

I get

error: device not found
Old 12-28-2010, 06:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Make sure you have this driver installed. Check device manager. There should be a category called Android Phone, and under it should be ADB... it should be listed as device unknown.

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/lib/ex...usb-driver.zip

Right click on the ADB and update software. Select the option to manually install the driver yourself. Select the .inf file from the zip you just downloaded.

heres the tutorial on how to install it as well

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.p...driver_install

Last edited by leerage; 12-28-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

i think this one is noob friendly
[ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v1.9.4 (12/22/10) - xda-developers

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 12-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Lurker

jon31592 is a n00b

I have that driver installed allready, read back at my first post, I had issues rooting with unrevoked 3 but had to have that driver from the very beginning.... and even when I diddent the phone still showed up in xp. What I'm saying is when I connect the cable now its like nothing happend according to xp and evo is charging... thats it...
Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

does it show up in device manager ?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos