PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo
Carrier: Sprint

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc90 View Post
winmonewbie it let me type everything and i went to update in the white screen i click the up bottom for yes but im in this step n i get another error
2L) In the window that opens, type (do not cut/paste this)
Code:
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
reboot recovery
when i type the first code and click enter it says invalid lenght ..
Answered via PM
Old 07-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: Sprint,,, i know,,why did i do it

v_lestat is a n00b
Re: [TUTORIALS] EVO Full Root|OTA Root|Nand Backup/Restore|Flashing|for n00b's + vide

Quote:
c:\evo-recovery>adb-windows shell
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory

this is what i get when doing the last steps,,,, no such file or directory...
i kept getting the 5N error and since the directions for the 5N fix are oh so very clear about what i am supposed to type to fix it,, well. i said screw it and did simpleroot which worked deadbang right away.
i mean come on,, "big ass filename" and type that for each line.. ok well wtf,, type what for each line,,,
it would be nice if someone would post an example instead of posting "type that",,, well type what???
maybe the 5N fix would work

i get the # sign when running adb so i figured i would flash with the rooted stock rom since there is just a nightmare of information about all these crazy roms and nothing anywhere says if they are worth a crap or not, so i HATE going back to stock but frankly i dont have a choice.

anyways i typed all the commands for the last step and i am stuck at the recovery screen with the red ! and triangle and evo picture.

why isnt it booting into recovery mode?

what am i doing wrong that the error of no such file or directory came up?

all i want to do is flash the stock rooted rom and i am so numb from all the reading i am lost.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:23 AM
Retired Staff

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_lestat View Post
this is what i get when doing the last steps,,,, no such file or directory...
i kept getting the 5N error and since the directions for the 5N fix are oh so very clear about what i am supposed to type to fix it,, well. i said screw it and did simpleroot which worked deadbang right away.
i mean come on,, "big ass filename" and type that for each line.. ok well wtf,, type what for each line,,,
it would be nice if someone would post an example instead of posting "type that",,, well type what???
You mean like the video Fast did? Post #2??

Quote:
maybe the 5N fix would work

i get the # sign when running adb so i figured i would flash with the rooted stock rom since there is just a nightmare of information about all these crazy roms and nothing anywhere says if they are worth a crap or not, so i HATE going back to stock but frankly i dont have a choice.

anyways i typed all the commands for the last step and i am stuck at the recovery screen with the red ! and triangle and evo picture.

why isnt it booting into recovery mode?

what am i doing wrong that the error of no such file or directory came up?

all i want to do is flash the stock rooted rom and i am so numb from all the reading i am lost.
OK Big Fella, deep breath. Sorry but you are going to have to read, that's life. If you want to find out about a ROM then you READ the thread. You can even try it out and if you dont like it you can jump back to the nand backup you should make before flashing any new ROM and all will be well again.

As far as why you are not booting into Recovery there are two main (and maybe other) possibilities. Either you 1) Didnt unlock nand correctly or 2) despite typing the commands you did not apply the recovery image correctly.

You can verify if your nand is unlocked by booting into bootloader and looking at your hboot version. If it says .76.2 then your nand is unlocked and something went wrong when trying to flash the recovery image. If it says .79 then you are only "partially" rooted and need to do the eng-PC36IMG file again.

Turn off your phone.
Hold Vol Down while you power back on. Keep holding Vol Down till the white screen shows.
Look for your hboot version at the top of your screen. Let us know what it says.

EDIT: I re-read you "oh so very clear" post and if I understand you it looks like you are saying you are getting the "no such file or directory" error during the flashing of the recovery image.
Is your phone connected via Charge Only with USB debugging enabled?
Are you sure you unzipped all the necessary files to the root of your SD card?

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-17-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Jspecrx7 is just getting started

Ok looks like I'm rooted now. Thanks a million..!! Now what is next? How do I verify that everything correctly and how do I load the free tethering?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:41 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspecrx7 View Post
Ok looks like I'm rooted now. Thanks a million..!! Now what is next? How do I verify that everything correctly and how do I load the free tethering?
Well if you only rooted then you should flash a ROM, at least the rooted version of Stock or a custom ROM.
If you went through all the steps and follow my post above about booting into bootloader then select Recovery-you will boot into Recovery if all went correctly.
Fast links a rooted version of Stock on the first Post. That is a .6 (pre-latest OTA) ROM. You could flash that. If you want to get a ROM with the latest OTA files then you could flash the files found here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915
Or you could go custom with a ROM like OMJ that is stable and very much like Stock just with the bloat removed found here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=123534

Since both of those ROMs require being updated to the latest OTA files they are NOT flashed like Fast talks about on Post 1. They are in PC36IMG format and are used in a very similar fashion to that file type that is used in the rooting process.
Personally I recommend going with one of those two OTA ROM's so you get the benefits of the latest software.
If the ROM you flash does not include Wifi Tether it is available in the Market.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

I went to the link FastRX8 provided and followed the instructions there. Looks like everything booted back up correctly. My EVO already came pre loaded with the 1.47.651.1 went I bought it at BB.

[QUOTE=FastRX8;1868798]Do the SimpleRoot Method. I'm not going to write a guide for it, but I am going to do a video. It's pretty self-explanatory. Download it. You'll also need the latest HTC Sync install and MS Net Framework.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720565

Unzip the downloaded file onto you pc and run the SimpleRoot.exe file.
Then just follow the directions on the screen.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Retired Staff

[QUOTE=Jspecrx7;1870034]I went to the link FastRX8 provided and followed the instructions there. Looks like everything booted back up correctly. My EVO already came pre loaded with the 1.47.651.1 went I bought it at BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRX8 View Post
Do the SimpleRoot Method. I'm not going to write a guide for it, but I am going to do a video. It's pretty self-explanatory. Download it. You'll also need the latest HTC Sync install and MS Net Framework.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=720565

Unzip the downloaded file onto you pc and run the SimpleRoot.exe file.
Then just follow the directions on the screen.
Right but SimpleRoot does not give you the latest 1.47 software, I believe it leaves you rooted but on a non-rooted version of an older stock ROM.
Go into Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Info>Software number
I'm pretty sure it will end in a .6 which is the # for Stock ROM before the latest OTA. You will still need to flash to a rooted ROM like I mentioned above.
Let me know if I'm wrong on the software #.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Ok its 1.17.651.1 I went to the link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915) you provided and saw that I would need Hboot. What the heck is that? I'm a total newb with this man. I'm sure you already figured that out.

[QUOTE=winmonewbie;1870043]
Quote:
I went to the link FastRX8 provided and followed the instructions there. Looks like everything booted back up correctly. My EVO already came pre loaded with the 1.47.651.1 went I bought it at BB.

Right but SimpleRoot does not give you the latest 1.47 software, I believe it leaves you rooted but on a non-rooted version of an older stock ROM.
Go into Menu>Settings>About Phone>Software Info>Software number
I'm pretty sure it will end in a .6 which is the # for Stock ROM before the latest OTA. You will still need to flash to a rooted ROM like I mentioned above.
Let me know if I'm wrong on the software #.

Last edited by Jspecrx7; 07-17-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: none
Carrier: Sprint,,, i know,,why did i do it

v_lestat is a n00b

Quote:
10 Connect your phone to your computer. In the evo-recovery files you downloaded, run recovery-windows.bat as administrator (by right clicking and choosing the option)
11 A command prompt will pop up and stream files to your phone. This in turn will enable options on your phone.
12 go to backup/restore using the same navigating you have been.
13 Choose nand backup and then confirm. This backs up your NAND in case you EFF things up. It will be stored in a folder on your SD card as NANDROID. be sure to keep a copy safe somewhere.
14 when its done return to the main system recovery menu and enable "USB-MS" which will mount your SD card. Copy over your Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip courtesy of Flipz to the root of your SD and then untoggle "USB-MS"
15 Now navigate to "Wipe" in the recovery menu
16 navigate to 'Wipe data/factory reset" and confirm the selection
17 navigate to "Davlik-cashe" and wipe that as well
18 return to recovery main menu and choose "flash zip from sdcard"
19 Choose Supersonic_1.32.651.1_rooted.zip or the rooted rom of your choice and let it install. Choose to reboot your phone. (IF YOU SKIP STEPS 16 AND 17 YOU WILL BE STUCK IN AN INFINITE BOOT AFTER INSTALLING THE ROOTED ROM. This can be remedied by returning to recovery mode (after pulling your batery to stop the loop) and following steps 16 and 17)
20. Superuser access is now available.

THAT just saved my arse,,,, no where in the OP's instructions does it mention to do this for the OTA root.. this NEEDS to be there because the 2 phones i am rooting refused to create the directory as i mentioned above.

PLEASE add this as optional steps if your OTA root attempt fails on the final CHMOD steps where it fails to create file or directory.

thank you to the guy who posted those steps.

i am now fully rooted and going full steam.

seriously though, why are those steps not even mentioned in the OTA Root technique ?

and as far as my ROM comment, this and every other forum is just a huge rats nest of roms which crazy subject titles for stickies and posts.

someone needs to actually make a decent database of roms with user ratings.

i want so bad to go to Froyo but i will be darned if i can tell what rom works and what doesnt and then keep track of what roms actually have working parts compared to others.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Ok its 1.17.651.1 I went to the link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915) you provided and saw that I would need Hboot. What the heck is that? I'm a total newb with this man. I'm sure you already figured that out.
**WARNING** n00b (me) explanation**
hboot is simply one of the main ROM (system?) files and it need to be a customized version to load files and still mainaint root.
If you followed all the steps correctly then you have it. I'm sure your fine but you could double check by booting int bootloader like I mentioned above and verify that you have the .76.2 version. If so you are free to install whitslacks ROM with all the OTA goodies.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G

Tags
backup, basics, easy, evo, hboot-.076, help root, htc evo 4g, htc evo password, radio-1.36.00.04.02, recovery, restore, root, rooting, videos