PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dimomand
Carrier: sprint

foxnews is keeping up the good workfoxnews is keeping up the good workfoxnews is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

here is my battery usage using Battery monitor:

----Plug in-----
first number is when the phone backlight is dim after 30sec with no activity. the second number is when backlight is set on at third bar from the right (Power save from settings>power>backlit). gps is on for all settings

airplane

phone on

phone, data on

phone, data, BT on

phone, data, BT, wifi on

----on battery-----
first number is when the phone backlight is off after 30sec with no activity. the second number is when backlight is set on at third bar from the right (Power save from settings>power>backlit). gps is on for all settings

airplane

phone on

phone, data on

phone, data, BT on

phone, data, BT, wifi on

Last edited by foxnews; 10-04-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

marcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good workmarcjen is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjen View Post
Today's test will be, unplugging from power and letting sit (turned off and face down) for the entire day.

I'll see what the batter life is and report if I received texts/emails or phone calls.

I did not do the BT test the other day, I needed to actually use my phone. I've ordered a new battery and cradle/charge kit, but I'd still like to help figure out if the battery life can be improved in some manner.
Phone was at 15% by 7:30pm, I unplugged from power @ 9:30am.

Doesn't seem much different than actually using it. (minus excessive data and/or BT). I did get a couple voice mails I had to check along with texts and some emails (Activesync and AUTD run).

It literally sat there and did nothing most of the day and it STILL can barely manage a 12 hour run.

Tomorrow I'm going to turn the data connection off and see if there's any difference in life. I will also minimally use it.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work

I did a little experiment today after reading some battery issues and, I myself having battery issues. First i deactivated the radio, then reenabled it. I left my phone fully charged sitting on my desk today for the past 9 hours doing absolutely nothing. So far, the phone hasnt even dialed #777 to connect at all. I checked it periodically throughout the day, each time i checked it was in the mid 90s. I just checked 2 minutes ago and it was at 90%. The phone is also cold as expected.

This basically just confirms what i already know.. the 3G radio, heck ANY radio in this thing is the killer of the battery. My mogul's battery wasnt that much bigger, yet it could use bluetooth all day with only a slight difference in power consumption, and the phone would never get hot unless i was doing heavy browsing. Anytime i use the radio on this thing for anything it starts getting very warm, even if its for 15 seconds.

Im not sure if its a defective phone, or just something wrong with the radio stack, but something definitely is NOT right on this. My mogul would have to be plugged in to the wall, running 3G and WiFi to get as hot as this thing gets in 5 minutes of using Opera. Its the same core chipset right? from the 7500 family. I could leave this phone the way it is all weekend and it would still be alive. Its only consuming about 38mA the way it is now.

Just checked it again.. running time 14 hours with no data transmissions but the radio is on, battery life is at 88%
Old 10-05-2008, 07:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work

Updated Discharge rates - please correct any errors

All Radios Off
mabmarc - 57mA (includes -100 adj. for NuePower)
tg1.0 - 57mA
the7thson - 57mA
cappy - 57mA
foxnews - 57mA

Phone radio on, others off
mabmarc - 57mA (includes -100 adj. for NuePower)
tg1.0 - 57mA
the7thson - 57mA (or 218mA?)
cappy - 57mA
foxnews - 57mA

Phone, Data On not transmitting
mabmarc -
tg1.0 -
the7thson -
cappy - 57mA
foxnews - 57mA (comment: suggests that there is no additional discharge with data On but not transmitting)

Phone, Bluetooth On, NOT paired
mabmarc -
tg1.0 -
the7thson - 61mA
cappy - 61mA (earlier reported 61mA to 125mA. Further observation ALWAYS 61mA)
foxnews - 61mA to high of 377mA - note: probably paired

Phone On, Data On, BT On and Paired
mabmarc -
tg1.0 -
the7thson -
cappy - 136mA (average after 8 hours of monitoring. Reading fluctuates when observed on screen)
foxnews -

Phone, Wifi On
mabmarc -
tg1.0 -
the7thson -
cappy - 283mA to 301mA (see comments below)
foxnews - 171mA to 496mA

Phone, Bluetooth On (not paired), Wifi On
mabmarc - 198mA (includes - 100 adj. for NuePower)
tg1.0 -
the7thson -
cappy - 287mA to 369mA (see comments below)
foxnews -

COMMENTS and OBSERVATIONS
Thanks foxnews. I have added you to the list. Except for mabmarc, who reported the readings from NeuPower that must be adjusted by -100mA, the other readings appear consistent without adjustment - in fact identical. Yours are different. Perhaps we need to make an adjustment, due to the tool that you are using? Edit: foxnews has updated the first three settings. They now agree with the other 4 readings.

foxnews also monitored the Data On discharge rate. I went back and did that too and found that Data On, but inactive, does not add to the discharge rate. Interesting.

foxnews, your second set of readings, I assume with no backlight, indicate a 13mA discharge if Wifi and BT are Off. I do not have the utility installed to read this directly, but was able to observe the same. 1340/13 = 103.07 hours of standby time. HTC specs say "up to 350 hours". Maybe they mean with device turned off?

snovvman, I saw your comment in another thread and began to look for the same. See my post on the last page. When finished charging the device yesterday, it only showed 97% (at times it will read 100 and then quickly drop slightly), but there was no immediate additional drop in reading after that. I can say that during the Bluetooth test that I was conducting since that charge, it took much longer for the battery reading to drop from the 97%. It appeared as though the battery monitor was counting from 100% even though the reading remained at 97%. Once the reading reached 96%, then about 1.5% per hour loss was observed. I will keep monitoring this.

Bluetooth Monitoring - Over the last week I have observed a 10% loss of battery when Bluetooth was turned on. That did not correspond with the discharge rate reported by all above, including my own. Indicated Bluetooth discharge is only 4Ma. So I began a test yesterday, turning only the Phone and Bluetooth On, not pairing the device, and monitoring the battery's reading for the next 15 hours. Battery went from 100% to 90% - a loss of only 1.5% per hour. This is way different than the 10% I have been seeing. Today, I will do the same, but this time I will pair the device with my Gennum 5000 earpiece. Perhaps the pairing is what kicks up the discharge rate.

Last edited by cappy; 10-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjen View Post
Phone was at 15% by 7:30pm, I unplugged from power @ 9:30am.

Doesn't seem much different than actually using it. (minus excessive data and/or BT). I did get a couple voice mails I had to check along with texts and some emails (Activesync and AUTD run).

It literally sat there and did nothing most of the day and it STILL can barely manage a 12 hour run.

Tomorrow I'm going to turn the data connection off and see if there's any difference in life. I will also minimally use it.

Marcjen, see the Bluetooth comments in the my last post. I left Bluetooth On yesterday, without pairing, and found a huge difference. Today, I will conduct the same test, but also pair the device. The huge discharge may be in the pairing. We may also find that the discharge rate varies, depending upon what the device is paired to.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:29 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy View Post
Updated Discharge rates - please correct any errors
Outside observer comment...

I did all this mojo a while back in the sprint days. I can give you the general feedback that BT on but not in use does have a very low draw (4ma sounds about right, it's in low power mode, esp if your device is not discoverable!) and that having a EVDO data link on but inactive also has a negligible (unmeasurable) draw as you are seeing in the diamond. BT On and connected to a device is indeed more of a draw then BT just on but no device active.

What are those idle draws reflecting - is that screen/backlight on or off? If its on, then they're pretty good, if its off, then they're pretty bad.

Battery is
1340mah according to sprint vs
1500 on mogul and
1100 on touch

If it's drawing 57ma idle, it should be able to go just shy of 24 hours on that battery in whatever state you're in when its drawing 57ma.

Have you all done the usual power savings reg tweaks?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

schetti

BT On and connected - I am already seeing this and expected it. After I continue monitoring with the Gennum 5000 for a few hours to determine the approximate discharge, I will pair with another earpiece to see if there is a measurable difference.

The idle draws include backlight at the lowest setting. With the backlight off, foxnews reports 13Ma. I do not have the utility installed to verify this, but was able to briefly observe the same when I turned device On from standby before readings were updated on the screen. If 13Ma is correct, the phone should go for 103 hours (1340/13) or 4.29 days in standby - with Phone On, Data On but inactive. It should go 78.8 hours (1340/17) or 3.28 days in standby - with Phone On, Data On but inactive and BT On but not paired. My ancecdotal evidence during the last week has shown that my device will go at least 3 days in a standby state with Phone On and BT off.

Wifi, I have found so far, is a wildcard. On my device, there is constant fluctuation with Wifi On but not connected - no lower than 283Ma.

I have installed by Diamond Tweaks and Advanced Config and applied their recommended settings. No individual Reg Edits.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:19 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Ok, then that's pretty much in line with "improved over previous generations" results.

We've got hardware that, in general, draws 20-50% less power then the Apache/Titan-era gear. It comes with a battery that is 15% lower in capacity. Should be a wash unless there is some other issue.

Diamond Tweaks/Advanced Config's "power savings" stuff should do all the right reg edits, and based on your numbers I'd say they're in. Unless there is some weird power spikes happening this thing should be able to at least do as well as my mogul

My mogul with stock battery after 16 hours with little use - hourly 2 account email checks, EVDO always on, mostly dormant, weather updates via yahoo/mortscript every hour, no direct push, light use less then 30 minutes total screen on time, battery @ 70-80% after 16 hours. Based on that I go a couple days with not much use pretty easily.

However, sounds like it's not?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Dimomand
Carrier: sprint

foxnews is keeping up the good workfoxnews is keeping up the good workfoxnews is keeping up the good work

what tool you guys are using to monitor your battery, link? My readings are not consistant with others. I want to use the same tool and measure again.
also, did you turn your backlight to full brightness when you measure your battery?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxnews View Post
what tool you guys are using to monitor your battery, link? My readings are not consistant with others. I want to use the same tool and measure again.
also, did you turn your backlight to full brightness when you measure your battery?
I have NuePower installed for the 1% battery display. The readings that I have reported are from Homescreen Plus, which is a plugin that I use in conjuction with SecondToday. Homescreen Plus reports -100Ma than NuePower. Both Homescreen Plus and SecondToday are by the same vendor. If you are interested, the link to the site is http://www.chi-tai.info/cs_wm_tools_im_cs.htm. I find this combination of the SecondToday and Homescreen Plus convenient and Homescreen reports CPU usage, battery status, and discharge rate, among other things, on one easily accessible screen.

Both tg1.0 and the7thson appear to be using SystemInfo. They give the same readings as Homescreen Plus (-100Ma less than NuePower). tg1.0 posted a zip file on page 5 of this thread.

mabmarc appears to be using NuePower. It reports 100Ma higher than the others mentioned, probably due to its polling method or screen redraw? There is a link to NuePower on one of the threads, maybe in this one.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond