PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 04:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovvman View Post
I have never seen my CPU go to 0%. It stays at 1%, but never zero. Have you seen your CPU go to 0% for any amount of time?

That was a lot of work to write all that. I'm sure it will help people. Good job.

Thanks.
Thank you. I became obsessed watching those readings for a week. They have been too consistent to ignore and I had to put it down on paper. Time to move on and do a little more Diamond polishing.

Like yours, my device has never gone to 0% before. But today I installed the Resco Explorer plugin to the Second Today screen and added several program icons to it. That's when I saw 0%. It does not always appear and when it does it only lasts for a second or two. I think the new plugin just slows down screen redrawing a bit.

Yea SprintTouch08, God gave us 1340 mA to make the best of. It is up to us how we use it. I should note for those who are comparing, I have been estimating talk/data time at roughly 20% per hour without much in depth testing. It could be 25% as SprintTouch08 says. Or it could vary, depending upon signal and other factors. With the overall battery life that I have been seeing and the way that I use the phone, there has been no need for me to pin that number down.

Last edited by cappy; 10-10-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Shop smart, shop S-MART!!
Pocket PC: Evolte, Gnex

themuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIPthemuffinman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintTouch08 View Post
totally agree ive been trying to make this whole point clear. People simply expect too much out of the device most of the time. people want to have their cake and eat it too- run gps and wifi and push email and last all day, its simply not going to happen. everything adds into the battery drain as you said especially voice and data at a decent percent chunk per hour of either or.

Using data/voice for a mere 60 min a day, which isnt much, will drain the battery 25% per hour just on that hour alone, not counting standby or push email or gps or wifi. You use the phone an hour for voice and or data and boo your already down to 75%, standby is another 1-2% per hour. 10 hours in standby and an hour of usage puts you way down to about 50% not counting push or gps or wifi or any other apps that use the net. 10 hours plus a 45 min call and an hour of browsing or a net access app will drain you down to little to nothing (20-30%). Thats simply the facts of the numbers when you calculate it out.

Thats jsut how it is and how it is on all PPC's at that. In the end it all adds up to battery drainage. A lot of people need to honestly evaluate their usage based on those type of figures before complaining and come to an honest realization to change their usage or get another battery if they use the device a lot. It may be your usage pattern simply not conforming to the capacity of the battery, not the battey being poor.
That is so true, everyone wants it to be 10 times better, while running 10 times faster, and in a small a device as possible, something is gonna get sacrificed in the process. Personally I think I have been getting pretty decent performance out of my diamond. Admittedly, I haven't played with it too much since I am really waiting for the pro, so I put my girlfriend up to the task since she is a phonaholic and a textaholic. On a typical day of use: 9am off the charger, by 8 in the evening its at 40% to 50% which is acceptable in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch Pro

bigdaddie is becoming a great contributor

Did everybody see this:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39966

Worked for me. Battery at 91% after 8 hours instead of 35%
Old 10-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Most new phones from these carriers except BBs (don't like RIM).
Carrier: Sprint, ATT, Verizon AND T-Mobile. Yes, you read right.

snovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on repsnovvman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddie View Post
Did everybody see this:

Today is not April 1st, right? Was your usage pattern the same between the two days? It's hard to imagine that significant of a difference.

Thanks.

Last edited by snovvman; 10-10-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff

Quote:
Did everybody see this:

Whoa! Going to try this today *fingers crossed*
Old 10-10-2008, 11:15 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond (CDMA Version)
Carrier: Telus

tg1.0 is just getting started

Good suggestions, cappy. I hope this helps people pinpoint the causes of their battery problems, or that this shows them that their battery life isn't really that bad.

For people to accurately reproduce your usage however, they should also remove their password if they have one, preferably before they soft reset. (I won't bother linking to my previous posts.) Perhaps you can add this suggestion to your post.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

reprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regularreprod is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Did everybody see this:

Just made this edit... Will post back at the end of the day with results
Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch Pro

bigdaddie is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Today is not April 1st, right? Was your usage pattern the same between the two days? It's hard to imagine that significant of a difference.

Thanks.
Nope not April 1st. Changes the polling interval for the battery, I think. As far as usage, the phone was idle sitting on my nightstand both nights. I don't know what kind of battery life you were getting but mine was spotty and just plain BAD. Works fine now.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Diamond

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg1.0 View Post
Good suggestions, cappy. I hope this helps people pinpoint the causes of their battery problems, or that this shows them that their battery life isn't really that bad.

For people to accurately reproduce your usage however, they should also remove their password if they have one, preferably before they soft reset. (I won't bother linking to my previous posts.) Perhaps you can add this suggestion to your post.
Your suggestion has been added to the post. I hope that enough people try this so that there is a group of users who can demonstrate a fixed baseline that can be duplicated. I say this because I am starting to move on to other areas. In playing with the device this morning, I found that the Data Connection, even while idle, can hang and drain the battery although there appears to be no activity. When it did hang, a soft reset was required to stop it. Closing the connection from the settings menu was not enough. But that is the subject of another thread. I need to play with it for a few days.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

the7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuffthe7thson knows their stuff
Question Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Quote:
BTW, the built-in charger does not charge the battery completely (the drop in % Cappy & I observed after unplug).

When I use an external battery charger, insert the battery, and boot, the battery will show and stay at 100% for up to an hour if I don't use the phone or turn on the screen much. This seems to give me an addtional 1/2 hour to 1 hour of burn time.
You mean it's the stock HTC wall charger that doesn't charge it up to 100%? I've been using an old Blackberry charger to charge the Diamond but I still get the immediate drop from 100% to 94-96% within a few minutes after unplugging.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond