View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 07:27 AM
cappy
PPCGeeks Regular

cappy is keeping up the good workcappy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: i know why battery life sucks so much!

Updated Discharge rates - please correct any errors

All Radios Off
mabmarc - 57mA (includes -100 adj. for NuePower)
tg1.0 - 57mA
the7thson - 57mA
cappy - 57mA
foxnews - 57mA

Phone radio on, others off
mabmarc - 57mA (includes -100 adj. for NuePower)
tg1.0 - 57mA
the7thson - 57mA (or 218mA?)
cappy - 57mA
foxnews - 57mA

Phone, Data On not transmitting
mabmarc -
tg1.0 -
the7thson -
cappy - 57mA
foxnews - 57mA (comment: suggests that there is no additional discharge with data On but not transmitting)

Phone, Bluetooth On, NOT paired
mabmarc -
tg1.0 -
the7thson - 61mA
cappy - 61mA (earlier reported 61mA to 125mA. Further observation ALWAYS 61mA)
foxnews - 61mA to high of 377mA - note: probably paired

Phone On, Data On, BT On and Paired
mabmarc -
tg1.0 -
the7thson -
cappy - 136mA (average after 8 hours of monitoring. Reading fluctuates when observed on screen)
foxnews -

Phone, Wifi On
mabmarc -
tg1.0 -
the7thson -
cappy - 283mA to 301mA (see comments below)
foxnews - 171mA to 496mA

Phone, Bluetooth On (not paired), Wifi On
mabmarc - 198mA (includes - 100 adj. for NuePower)
tg1.0 -
the7thson -
cappy - 287mA to 369mA (see comments below)
foxnews -

COMMENTS and OBSERVATIONS
Thanks foxnews. I have added you to the list. Except for mabmarc, who reported the readings from NeuPower that must be adjusted by -100mA, the other readings appear consistent without adjustment - in fact identical. Yours are different. Perhaps we need to make an adjustment, due to the tool that you are using? Edit: foxnews has updated the first three settings. They now agree with the other 4 readings.

foxnews also monitored the Data On discharge rate. I went back and did that too and found that Data On, but inactive, does not add to the discharge rate. Interesting.

foxnews, your second set of readings, I assume with no backlight, indicate a 13mA discharge if Wifi and BT are Off. I do not have the utility installed to read this directly, but was able to observe the same. 1340/13 = 103.07 hours of standby time. HTC specs say "up to 350 hours". Maybe they mean with device turned off?

snovvman, I saw your comment in another thread and began to look for the same. See my post on the last page. When finished charging the device yesterday, it only showed 97% (at times it will read 100 and then quickly drop slightly), but there was no immediate additional drop in reading after that. I can say that during the Bluetooth test that I was conducting since that charge, it took much longer for the battery reading to drop from the 97%. It appeared as though the battery monitor was counting from 100% even though the reading remained at 97%. Once the reading reached 96%, then about 1.5% per hour loss was observed. I will keep monitoring this.

Bluetooth Monitoring - Over the last week I have observed a 10% loss of battery when Bluetooth was turned on. That did not correspond with the discharge rate reported by all above, including my own. Indicated Bluetooth discharge is only 4Ma. So I began a test yesterday, turning only the Phone and Bluetooth On, not pairing the device, and monitoring the battery's reading for the next 15 hours. Battery went from 100% to 90% - a loss of only 1.5% per hour. This is way different than the 10% I have been seeing. Today, I will do the same, but this time I will pair the device with my Gennum 5000 earpiece. Perhaps the pairing is what kicks up the discharge rate.

Last edited by cappy; 10-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.