PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59 PM
ACSyndicate.net
Pocket PC: Epic
Carrier: Sprint

flyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation levelflyers2114 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to flyers2114
Re: Windows Phone 7... Doomed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Ok 2 things...

1) Microsoft is the name of a company..a company can do many things..Windows on the other hand is a product.. imagine M$ came in next day and called Microsoft Office the XBOX and the XBOX Microsoft office..wouldn't you be confused? you dont have to convince me..ask anyone what Windows is..they will tell you its a computer....I mean M$ even makes commercials saying Windows = PC...

2) The reason why M$ got through the market was 2 things, 1) they paid developers money to make the games..aka bribe...that won't work here because Google is already doing the bribing (its actually one of the reasons Google broke through with Android) and also a lot of game publishers were frustrated with Sony and they lost a bunch of exclusives...
number 2 is funny....bribing....the bigger the bribe the easier to take is the rule of thumb....plus you forgot to mention that Xbox is a great product and that is why it was successful...also Sony is not hurting by any means with the PS3 so I don't think they lost too many exclusives...lets remember MS is a big dog in this game also...they are not going to just lie down and let market share go without a fight...
Old 07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
number 2 is funny....bribing....the bigger the bribe the easier to take is the rule of thumb....plus you forgot to mention that Xbox is a great product and that is why it was successful...also Sony is not hurting by any means with the PS3 so I don't think they lost too many exclusives...lets remember MS is a big dog in this game also...they are not going to just lie down and let market share go without a fight...
Ok but once a company is already bribed its harder to get them to switch sides..not to mention put more financial burden where as before M$ would have needed to pay less..now they must beat Google's bribe + make it worth it for the company.

Not to mention the bribe is not in raw cash...they give the carriers and manufacturers a % of adwords and app store....There is no way bing search advertising is on par with adwords in revenue...and the manufacturer takes a bigger risk with an undeveloped app store...

And lastly, Verizon will not launch the WP7 phones due to the fiasco with the Kin...aka your going in with a new product and already the largest carrier doesn't want your product...AT&T will always be iphone oriented...so only one to push is Sprint..but hey, Sprint did wonders for Palm did it not? >.>

I'm not exactly saying M$ is doomed as in this title but the odds against them is REALLY BAD

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
And lastly, Verizon will not launch the WP7 phones due to the fiasco with the Kin...
source?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
source?
Quote:
Our source says that the fallout from this troubled partnership is that Microsoft has backed away from Verizon as a Windows Phone 7 launch partner, claiming that the first handsets you see won't be offered on the CDMA carrier -- rather that we should expect GSM partners to get first crack.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/30/what-killed-the-kin/
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Back

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

GRRRRR...goddammit microsoft!! thanks for the bad news jerk lol, just kidding, thanks though

EDIT: after reading it a couple times its not as bad as i thought. i guess there wont be any verizon wp7 phones when it first drops, not that they wont carry them at all ever, thats what i thought you were saying

Last edited by redd214; 07-07-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 AM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
GRRRRR...goddammit microsoft!! thanks for the bad news jerk lol, just kidding, thanks though

EDIT: after reading it a couple times its not as bad as i thought. i guess there wont be any verizon wp7 phones when it first drops, not that they wont carry them at all ever, thats what i thought you were saying
Well of course, this is the initial launch..but how long this will last also depends since Verizon was originally one of the launch partners and now it is not..then Verizon may be ticked that M$ left them out and not stock their phones for a while and focus marketing their cdma iphones for a year...either way its not a good start from M$ end...

Obviously eventually they will be on Verizon..assuming it lives to tell about it..

Aka we know the initial launch is what will make or break WP7

Last edited by gTen; 07-08-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Back

the initial launch will be important yes, but it wont make or break the brand, marketing and devs will. if they dont sell a million in the first month that doesnt mean it wont take off. m$ has too much riding on this, this isnt the red headed stepchild that was the kin, this is one of their bread and butter projects.

the kin was just a perfect storm of fail you could say. wrong timing, wrong carrier choice, poor product, poor software, etc all those put together is why it only lasted 2 months. wp7 will be around for YEARS for sure. it may not be the next big thing or wildly popular but microsoft isnt gonna just lay down on this one even if the launch isnt the 2nd coming of the iphone.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:10 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

But the market is different these days..if they don't break through early on it will kill them for other reasons...

Remember that manufacturers actually have to PAY licensing fees to sell the OS to M$...where as using their own platforms and/or android is free.

So if you were a manufacturer..which handsets would you release..ones that that are more popular and you make more profit on..or less popular that you have to pay fees for thus making less money?

Remember, they pretty much killed off their winmo base with wp7 by the looks of things..if they don't break through..manufacturers and consumers will just abandon them little by little...

The mobile department also has high maintenance costs to M$ as well and if its not earning its keep it won't bode well..
Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

For me the move meant I have to carry 2 PDA's, the Evo for general use and the TP2 for HanDBase. There are times I really enjoy the Evo and other times I outright hate it. The TP2 has always been in the "enjoy" column. The Evo in the "hate" column more than I care to think about. Will I go back? No. I may though move on the the next big guy with a real live keyboard. Incidentally, the cost to get the Evo to do what I want is not a factor, only the missing hardware keyboard.

The HanDBase developer is more than aware of my desire for a Windows 7 release, which he says is not in the immediate future due to restrictions placed by Microsoft.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

I still find it very odd that there is no zune app. I don't understand how they are trying to compete with a phone that was the hellspawn of an mp3 player if they won't let users of phones that are more than capable of anything, use the companies music service.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions