PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Phone 7... Doomed?

good point, im not the biggest music fan but i know many are. they will need something esp with google bringing in their own music sharing service with gingerbread
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
I still find it very odd that there is no zune app. I don't understand how they are trying to compete with a phone that was the hellspawn of an mp3 player if they won't let users of phones that are more than capable of anything, use the companies music service.
My guess is it boils down with this..if they copy Apple and include WP7 inside the Zune they will get complaints from their Hardware partners...(since zune is manufactured by M$..well at least produced by them)

But yes it is kinda silly on their side..I mean Zune HD beat the iphone 3gs except the development is dead :/

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 07-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

testacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartestacon is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The problem as I see it with WP7 is timing. They are releasing a phone that is seriously short on options compared to what the WM6.x line already delivered on.

While there are some new features, what made it a Windows device is forever lost. They went to look at what the competition was bringing to the table and cloned it some form or another. Unfortunately for them what they cloned was about the first generation (software wise) of each device.

On top of their "lack of timing" anything new that they bring to the table, I'm sure the competition is more then happy to steal into their designs since Microsoft stole the whole concept from Apple. Whatever new innovations that is currently being integrated into WP7 has probably already been reversed engineered and will be seen in a future Apple or Gingerbread update whenever those are released.

What's Microsoft going to do then, sue? I can hear Apple now, hey here's a Windows 6.x device and here's a iPhone from 3 years ago. Now here's a WP7 device and here's a current iPhone, who copied from who?

It's going to be so much easier to integrate a couple of cool features into an already stable OS then to start from the ground up as Microsoft decided to do.

While I still haven't given up my PPC-6800 because I'm not fully happy with Android yet, I can't see trying something that's practically 3 years stale out the door. Plus in January if the iPhone goes to Verizon as rumored and finally off of AT&T, why not just go to the original designer of the phone Microsoft cloned? Why pay Microsoft anything for stealing a design concept to begin with?

Finally GSM, really? Nearly everyone I know despises AT&T. Who in their right mind is going to leave Sprint to go AT&T and their newly imposed metered data plans. We already know that Verizon is passing on the initial release. That alone might hurt Microsoft sales enough for WP7 "Kin" levels of karma to kick in.

I guess we will see what happens after this holiday season, but personally I'm really disappointed in what M$ did and eagerly await it's judgment day.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

IM0001 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIM0001 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularIM0001 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to IM0001 Send a message via AIM to IM0001 Send a message via MSN to IM0001 Send a message via Skype™ to IM0001

Why do people keep talking about an OS that is not even out yet "Doomed"
"lost" "no chance" etc. WTH?

Look at the Xbox, Did it have a chance seeing as how it was joining in on a market that already had the big 3? (Sega later departed but hey shows you how hard the market was to figure out.) Did Microsoft not "Fix" Windows with Win7 for all those people who disliked Vista? Did Android really have a clear chance when it first came out vs Winmo, BB, Palm, iPhone, etc?

Everything going into WP7 looks fantastic, things that are not in it yet will be added later. (and more than likely months not years later) and the direction they are going allows for more universal app support (less this app works on this phone and not that one) universal driver requirements (no more broken drivers, slow devices, etc) and overall ease of use.

One thing Microsoft Sees and knows they need is Dev support. Look at Win Mobile now. Almost every large dev that makes apps is making them for Android and iOS but not WM6. This really blows for us WM6.X users now but its mainly due to the fact that making 1 great app for all WM devices really is becoming a pain in the neck. With WM7 the app support is much easier and fluid which should help make apps easier to develop and easier to distribute to all the devices with a much more guarantee that it WILL work.

Now if you need something that it cannot do out of the box, what in the world makes you think that outside devs will leave it like that? Seriously? the iPhone can be Jailbroken, Android Rooted, Why do you think WP7 will be locked forever? Mass USB support? Of course, File Managers? Sure, outside app installs? Duh.

Wait until the phone makes it out and Microsoft with a clear goal in mind, starts putting real pressure on the competition. OF course you are not forced to choose one or the other OS out there, but the pressure of such a large company as Microsoft against Google and Apple = Great pressure to make the OS better than the other guy. That in turn means better support and options for the consumer. So until the OS is out (and then hopefully after a year I say) then be the judge of the OS/Device.. Until then. Please people stop with the ignorant nonsense about WP7. If you really don't want to believe it will succeed, nobody is keeping you from going to Android or iOS.

Phone History with Sprint: Samsung N400 (Lockup King) - Toshiba VM4050 (Great Screen. No BT) - PPC6700 (Squishy Touchscreen) - Mogul (USB Port No More) - Touch Pro (Davy Jones Locker) - Touch Pro 2 (Oldie But Goodie) - HTC Arrive (I<3WP) : History of Pocket PC's: Dell Axim X50V WM6.5.3 (Still the best VGA PDA gaming and multimedia device since 2004)

Last edited by IM0001; 07-14-2010 at 02:07 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: ATT

NIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regularNIKKG is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I looked at two recent reviews of it on BGR and CNET, it seems none of the reviewers liked it. Just looking at it, it seems to be overly complicated for no reason. Too much eye candy with all those moving tiles on the home screen. MS's biggest problem with the old WinMo was that it was too techy for the average user and they seem to be making it worse with 7.

I hope they get their act straight on release day, the way it is looking now is going to be a disaster, only the hardcore nerds will buy it, the rest will stick to the iphones, androids and bb.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM0001 View Post
Look at the Xbox, Did it have a chance seeing as how it was joining in on a market that already had the big 3? (Sega later departed but hey shows you how hard the market was to figure out.)
The XBOX succeeded because microsoft gave away money to the developers...at the same time Sony lost quite a few exclusives and Nitendo started targeting little kids...sega was already pretty much out just by their release times...

Quote:
Did Microsoft not "Fix" Windows with Win7 for all those people who disliked Vista?
Yes..same way they fixed win ME with XP..by making you pay 2x for something that is defective and then for a fix...

Quote:
Did Android really have a clear chance when it first came out vs Winmo, BB, Palm, iPhone, etc?
Android got support because Google started to pay manufacturers to use Android, which interested the dieing Motorola cellphone division and teamed up with Verizon (who actually knows how to market) created the "Droid" campaign.

Quote:
Everything going into WP7 looks fantastic, things that are not in it yet will be added later. (and more than likely months not years later) and the direction they are going allows for more universal app support (less this app works on this phone and not that one) universal driver requirements (no more broken drivers, slow devices, etc) and overall ease of use.
People already have those features elsewhere....unlike buying a game console or on operating system you have to cough up a 2 year contract for something incomplete?

Quote:
One thing Microsoft Sees and knows they need is Dev support. Look at Win Mobile now. Almost every large dev that makes apps is making them for Android and iOS but not WM6. This really blows for us WM6.X users now but its mainly due to the fact that making 1 great app for all WM devices really is becoming a pain in the neck. With WM7 the app support is much easier and fluid which should help make apps easier to develop and easier to distribute to all the devices with a much more guarantee that it WILL work.
M$ took too long getting their appstore out.and they killed most of the development by saying WP7 won't support old apps...there used to be a LOT of APPS for winmo that others didn't have...

Quote:
Now if you need something that it cannot do out of the box, what in the world makes you think that outside devs will leave it like that? Seriously? the iPhone can be Jailbroken, Android Rooted, Why do you think WP7 will be locked forever? Mass USB support? Of course, File Managers? Sure, outside app installs? Duh. .
Same reason we aren't hacking the Instinct?

---------------------------------------------------

M$ is not gonna get a golden pass in..if they can't pull through fast enough they will be eaten by the competition...similar to what happened to the kin...I'm not saying exactly they are doomed but out of all the things they have done, this is the longest stretch....
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Eat Static
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

popdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIPpopdog54 is a VIP

Here's a preview from Engadget. Overall it's positive. The only things I can see that I really don't like about WP7 is the lack of multitasking and the Facebook integration (I might actually be able to live with no copy and paste). My biggest problem with the Facebook stuff is that certain people, like me, who don't use Facebook that much or not at all, won't need all the Facebook stuff. Also, say in a few years Facebook loses popularity when the next big social networking site comes around. Remember when Myspace was all the rage and Facebook was only used by college kids?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/w...depth-preview/
Old 07-19-2010, 05:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Tim Smith is keeping up the good workTim Smith is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by popdog54 View Post
(I might actually be able to live with no copy and paste)
What's to live with? Why the hell does every talk like it's never coming? It won't be there at launch but soon after in an update it'll get it. It's not that big of a deal.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

cyclical is keeping up the good workcyclical is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by popdog54 View Post
Here's a preview from Engadget. Overall it's positive. The only things I can see that I really don't like about WP7 is the lack of multitasking and the Facebook integration (I might actually be able to live with no copy and paste). My biggest problem with the Facebook stuff is that certain people, like me, who don't use Facebook that much or not at all, won't need all the Facebook stuff. Also, say in a few years Facebook loses popularity when the next big social networking site comes around. Remember when Myspace was all the rage and Facebook was only used by college kids?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/19/w...depth-preview/

Most of the reviews I have read seem to be pretty positive as well. Responsive touch, different interface. I agree, most of the general complaints have been with the facebook thing, copy and paste, and multitasking. Hopefully by release, the facebook thing will be like similar to Sense, where it only "updates" the information from your phone contact list, and not all your "friends" on facebook.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:59 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Apple
Carrier: Vodafone

jesonkwilliam is a n00b

Well this is the rule by the nature that the person always likes what he has seen first. So if the android came first then windows have to suffer the loss.

PPCGeeks > Windows Phone 7 > General Windows Phone 7 Discussions