PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
Ok thats is wrong (nt accurate beyond a doubt).

My account with the U727 usb air card is not capped at 5GB.
New users who are not on a business account or corporate, may come under this.

This "cap" isn't universal. I frequently go over 5GB a month on my Unlimited account with Sprint. And my contract is honored to do so without scrutiny.

I can verify this.

700MB+ over and counting. No alterations in my serivce & this is the 5th month in a row that I have done so.
wann tell me im wrong on the 5gb cap now too?

please read the link where it states, ahh crap i gues ill go get that too... Furthermore, a single month of overage will not freeze a user’s account. Sprint will be using a three month rolling gauge, with a given user having to exceed 5GB in 2 out of the 3 months to register an infringement. First warnings will be issued as a formal reprimand, with further action taken on a case-by-case basis.
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"

Last edited by crazychef; 02-23-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Ok thats is wrong (nt accurate beyond a doubt).

My account with the U727 usb air card is not capped at 5GB.
New users who are not on a business account or corporate, may come under this.

This "cap" isn't universal. I frequently go over 5GB a month on my Unlimited account with Sprint. And my contract is honored to do so without scrutiny.

I can verify this.

700MB+ over and counting. No alterations in my serivce & this is the 5th month in a row that I have done so.
From what I remember the 5GB is a soft-cap and Sprint will let you go over. However if you go over multiple months in a row (or something about 1 in 3 months? don't remember) they have the ability to cut your service. I have not heard any reports of anyone actually getting cut off however. This arguing about the 5GB cap is definitely out the boundary of the OP though. I don't think the legality of tethering without PAM was really in question and proving a 5GB cap exists doesn't really mean much besides Sprint is trying to stop people from abusing their networks.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
From what I remember the 5GB is a soft-cap and Sprint will let you go over. However if you go over multiple months in a row (or something about 1 in 3 months? don't remember) they have the ability to cut your service. I have not heard any reports of anyone actually getting cut off however. This arguing about the 5GB cap is definitely out the boundary of the OP though. I don't think the legality of tethering without PAM was really in question and proving a 5GB cap exists doesn't really mean much besides Sprint is trying to stop people from abusing their networks.
and TELUS just did this to someone on this site...
Old 02-23-2009, 02:47 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Yes. You're close but still wrong to say "everyone" falls under the hat.
Just like your OP, there are exception to the rule.

There is a grey area.

Its up to you to make sure you get your legal entitlements. I did & I will continue to excercise them to the fullest.

In your defence:

Its the cap there. Yes.

Is it for everyone? No.

Your poof is right there, clean as day. I clearly p***** the cap & I expect to do it next month.
Is what I'm getting fair? Ask Sprint...
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Rogers

wraith79 is keeping up the good workwraith79 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
Yeah, the big companies steal from us. Last I checked we all voluntarily gave them our money in return for a service. There's more to the cost of a device and the plans than just the what it cost to make the device. Besides, this isn't even relevant to the topic.

No one is disputing that. Sprint only wants us to use the data on our phone, unless you pay for the Phone as Modem plan.

Read the Terms of Service. It may not be illegal but its is breaking the TOS. Sprint wants us to pay for a service. We aren't. That is stealing. The OP feels we shouldn't be able to talk about it because we can't talk about warez because that is stealing too. Do you see the connection? That's the point of this thread.

Then don't read the thread.
Ok, dude, This msg wasn't for you, it was for crazychef! And I'm not saying that it isn't wrong, and yes, we voluntarily give them our money. But, look at it this way. What about all the inflation, these companies have over an 82% profit margin. Why shouldn't we be able to profit from this as well, in our own way?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

is this want u guys want? ICS hack may/ or not be stealing/supplying/ or cracking software.. but as i wanted to establish.. were still stealing period.. laws or no laws, cuz like coz said, noone has ever asked ppc "offically" to put up that notice, ppc did it on their own..

so just because noones asked this subject of thethering to be "offically" removed, why cant it also now become a seperate banned topic now as well, due to the fact we are stealing... and the point of warez is also about stealing.. so its 2 different topics, but the same basic principal as theft in both cases of warez and tethering..

so why cant the topics both be banned... ppc chose to make a stand against warez on their own, im asking them to stand against this on their own as well..
Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Yes. You're close but still wrong to say "everyone" falls under the hat.
Just like your OP, there are exception to the rule.

There is a grey area.

Its up to you to make sure you get your legal entitlements. I did & I will continue to excercise them to the fullest.

In your defence:

Its the cap there. Yes.

Is it for everyone? No.

Your poof is right there, clean as day. I clearly p***** the cap & I expect to do it next month.
Is what I'm getting fair? Ask Sprint...
um what plan holders doesnt it cover excatly??? can u show me proof that it doesnt affect every type of data usuage and plan.. because im pretty sure SPRINT SITE says Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem... is there another type of connection your arguing is available to use and also unaffected by the cap... remember links and visual proof, from sprints site, because apparently every website on the net other than sprint are wrong about sprint 5gb cap
Old 02-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith79 View Post
Ok, dude, This msg wasn't for you, it was for crazychef! And I'm not saying that it isn't wrong, and yes, we voluntarily give them our money. But, look at it this way. What about all the inflation, these companies have over an 82% profit margin. Why shouldn't we be able to profit from this as well, in our own way?
can u please show some data for this... id really like to see any compnies in a list that have had 82 percent profit marigns in these hard economic times... i live in MI, right now we are DBL the national averages for unemployment... please find me a thriving buisness at 82 percent margin of profit... id really like to notify my new media here, so we can show some promising times in our dire State
Old 02-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
and TELUS just did this to someone on this site...
He wasn't cut off, but merely warned that he is going to be charged for PAM service. Not to mention that he didn't say that he went over the 5GB limit and only that he Telus noticed this PAM usage.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
He wasn't cut off, but merely warned that he is going to be charged for PAM service. Not to mention that he didn't say that he went over the 5GB limit and only that he Telus noticed this PAM usage.
actually i think he made it quite clear that he was WAY UNDER the cap, and they still notfied him.. he said, he never used it that much..

never said he was cut off.. your guys point is cell companies dont care, well in his/this case TELUS does at the moment..
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions