PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think about Google Plus?
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! 6 66.67%
Who needs it? 3 33.33%
Google What? 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Google Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
another pro. lol
maybe for the google addicts out there. I couldn't even get their +1 feature on this site to work it says my browser is incompatible WTF? its IE9 which is compatible with all web standards. I also get redirected to their mobile sites when I shouldn't be, google,and YouTube are the only sites that do this to me. this did not happen on my bros friends Android device that I helped him set up. so google is doing something to try to prevent other devices or browsers from getting the best of their services.

PS I think this should be moved out of the android discuss in section to get greater coverage and better votes.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:46 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

works fine for me on firefox on android, not mobile view here. (user error)
Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
works fine for me on firefox on android, not mobile view here. (user error)
you said the keyword Android. somehow google is able to detect that I am on a wp7 device (even though im set to desktop mode) and as such either redirect me to a mobile site and say content not available on mobile,or just say not compatible with device. no other sites are doing this, I can view html5 videos perfectly on other sites while only spotty on YouTube.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:37 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
nope ill stick to Facebook,im not too keen on google's large attempt to try to take over the world. they should've stayed a search engine and that business is suffering now since they've began unreasonably branching out to others.
I don't think you are understanding how google works...they dont just "Branch out"..everything they do compliments their search engine business aka with ad sense..everything they do is focused on ad sense...its not unreasonable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swear0730 View Post
Wait, I thought it was Facebook trying to take over the world LOL.
They are all trying to take over the world..facebook just publicly anounces it while Google does it behind the scenes...

Quote:
maybe for the google addicts out there. I couldn't even get their +1 feature on this site to work it says my browser is incompatible WTF? its IE9 which is compatible with all web standards. I also get redirected to their mobile sites when I shouldn't be, google,and YouTube are the only sites that do this to me. this did not happen on my bros friends Android device that I helped him set up. so google is doing something to try to prevent other devices or browsers from getting the best of their services.

PS I think this should be moved out of the android discuss in section to get greater coverage and better votes.
Since when is IE9 compatible with all web standards? while IE9 is better complaint then its previous versions..its still behind the competition...

I mean look:

The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

Desktop IE9 gets a score of 130+5...my phone has almost 2x higher HTML5 compliance score...

Quote:
you said the keyword Android. somehow google is able to detect that I am on a wp7 device (even though im set to desktop mode) and as such either redirect me to a mobile site and say content not available on mobile,or just say not compatible with device. no other sites are doing this, I can view html5 videos perfectly on other sites while only spotty on YouTube.
Blame M$ here actually...they did not want to support WebM video which Google uses..all the other browsers support it...thus have no problem with youtube and HTML5....you can get the WebM plugin for your desktop IE9 from Google but for your phone there is not much that can be done until M$ supports it...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
I don't think you are understanding how google works...they dont just "Branch out"..everything they do compliments their search engine business aka with ad sense..everything they do is focused on ad sense...its not unreasonable...

what about their driverless cars?

They are all trying to take over the world..facebook just publicly anounces it while Google does it behind the scenes...

their search engine is suffering because of it, nowhere near what it was like back when I was soph in HS. their translator isn't even as good anymore, everytime id type something in Spanish and put it in one to look it up Bing always provided the translation closest to what I meant

Since when is IE9 compatible with all web standards? while IE9 is better complaint then its previous versions..its still behind the competition...

I mean look:

The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

Desktop IE9 gets a score of 130+5...my phone has almost 2x higher HTML5 compliance score...

IE9 mobile was demonstrated to have the highest framerate for html5 out of all the default mobile browsers. video is on WMPU and pocketnow

Blame M$ here actually...they did not want to support WebM video which Google uses..all the other browsers support it...thus have no problem with youtube and HTML5....you can get the WebM plugin for your desktop IE9 from Google but for your phone there is not much that can be done until M$ supports it...
all html5 videos that I've tested playback fine,some in the Zune player. I found that it was the ad videos that would default to flash on YouTube
that pretty much sums it up. I also think this thread should be moved out of Android general and into off topic.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:

what about their driverless cars?
For their Google Maps, which compliments their search..

Quote:
their search engine is suffering because of it, nowhere near what it was like back when I was soph in HS. their translator isn't even as good anymore, everytime id type something in Spanish and put it in one to look it up Bing always provided the translation closest to what I meant
How can it be not as good? it doesn't get worse..if you mean haven't improved much that is understandable but I doubt it just got worse..

Quote:
IE9 mobile was demonstrated to have the highest framerate for html5 out of all the default mobile browsers. video is on WMPU and pocketnow
First of all Frame rate for HTML5 has nothing to do with standards compatibility! ...just cause it does good on 1 test does not mean its compliant with HTML5 standards..there are over 400 tests for HTML5..IE9 failed over half of them..thats not web compliant...PS I did a test on Mobile FireFox 6 and got a score of 285+9 in HTML5Test

Second of all, It measures FPS of css 3d which the older versions of the browsers don't support yet, and little sites use it yet but its irrelevant in the end because M$ is not picking up WebCL yet..which will allow framerates of 10x higher then your used to now.

Third of all your competing unreleased software vs released software. Like the default iOS5's Safari beat IE9 on framerate, read it up on pocketnow..we will see how Ice cream sandwich default browser compares..

Quote:
all html5 videos that I've tested playback fine,some in the Zune player. I found that it was the ad videos that would default to flash on YouTube
There are multiple standards for HTML5 video..so sure if you went to sites that use H264 video and AAC/MP3 audio it would play fine..but those that are WebM, OGG/Theora, MPG4, PCM won't play fine...YouTube uses WebM for HTML5....hence why you have issues...ask M$ to support WebM and it will work wonders...

Last edited by gTen; 07-09-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned User

Quote:

How can it be not as good? it doesn't get worse..if you mean haven't improved much that is understandable but I doubt it just got worse..
haven't been making improvements is just as bad as getting worse, especially since Bing is improving significantly by the day. I'll say some things in Spanish and put them in a comparison later

First of all Frame rate for HTML5 has nothing to do with standards compatibility! ...just cause it does good on 1 test does not mean its compliant with HTML5 standards..there are over 400 tests for HTML5..IE9 failed over half of them..thats not web compliant...PS I did a test on Mobile FireFox 6 and got a score of 285+9 in HTML5Test

Second of all, It measures FPS of css 3d which the older versions of the browsers don't support yet, and little sites use it yet but its irrelevant in the end because M$ is not picking up WebCL yet..which will allow framerates of 10x higher then your used to now.

it scores 97/100 on acid3 test tho, other browsers have gotten low to mid 90s cept for chrome and opera who were 100 but they didn't perform as such.

Third of all your competing unreleased software vs released software. Like the default iOS5's Safari beat IE9 on framerate, read it up on pocketnow..we will see how Ice cream sandwich default browser compares..
I saw that, they were going back n forth on framerate and IE9M came on top in subsequent tests at least this was on the WMPU article I saw on it. none are officially released yet so we'll see when they're out

There are multiple standards for HTML5 video..so sure if you went to sites that use H264 video and AAC/MP3 audio it would play fine..but those that are WebM, OGG/Theora, MPG4, PCM won't play fine...YouTube uses WebM for HTML5....hence why you have issues...ask M$ to support WebM and it will work wonders...
I figured out that my issue was that the videos with ads haven't been migrated to html5 yet which is why they still used the flash player. so far the html5 videos either played on the site or in the video player on my phone. I still haven't figured out how the hell they're able to detect im on a wp7 and redirect me to a less functional mobile site even tho im set to desktop mode and no other sites are doing it
you're quite knowledgeable about google you should work for them. sometimes I say these things to test you.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:07 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:

haven't been making improvements is just as bad as getting worse, especially since Bing is improving significantly by the day. I'll say some things in Spanish and put them in a comparison later
Personally I will tell you this, As far as translation goes..both are sub par translations. As far as search goes, Bing has improved A LOT and probably the 2nd best..but its still got ways to go to catch up to Google Search...as an example I know someone who is part of their Live Club..the one with the word games that you use Bing to solve..and most of the time using Google gives them more accurate answers :/

Not to mention don't forget Bing uses where people visit to rank their results..since Google is the biggest search engine, the top results of Bing tend to copy the results of Google..(M$ admitted to this back in feb)

Quote:
it scores 97/100 on acid3 test tho, other browsers have gotten low to mid 90s cept for chrome and opera who were 100 but they didn't perform as such.
now that is just M$ marketing talking..ACID3 has been released in 2008 and is semi outdated..until ACID4 is released HTML5 is the standard to test by...

That said most browsers pass with 97 or higher..

IE9 tests for 95 actually on ACID3 just tested it myself(and so does IE10)...only Desktop browsers that test in low/mid 90s are old browsers or outdated browsers..

Android tests for 93 but in honeycomb it get 100..

Quote:
I saw that, they were going back n forth on framerate and IE9M came on top in subsequent tests at least this was on the WMPU article I saw on it. none are officially released yet so we'll see when they're out
But again at end of the day I see people using WebGL over standard canvas as its more efficient..

Quote:
I figured out that my issue was that the videos with ads haven't been migrated to html5 yet which is why they still used the flash player. so far the html5 videos either played on the site or in the video player on my phone. I still haven't figured out how the hell they're able to detect im on a wp7 and redirect me to a less functional mobile site even tho im set to desktop mode and no other sites are doing it
They don't test what your using and redirect you...what happens is this..remember that HTML5 test site? they check if your browser supports certain features and when they see you don't it redirects you...its not targeting wp7 in specific...

Quote:
you're quite knowledgeable about google you should work for them. sometimes I say these things to test you.
As I said before..I have no interest in Google controlling everything....I tend to use Amazon Appstore over Google Appstore when I can, and I use FireFox for my secure stuff while Google Chrome just to surf...For my cellphone I use Opera/FireFox to surf...for mail I use Yahoo over Gmail..etc..

Aka I choose the product that works best for my needs..be it Google or not...
Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: The Great EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint = #1
Threadstarter

KDmospd is keeping up the good workKDmospd is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
for mail I use Yahoo over Gmail..etc..
I get the point you are making but Yahoo over Gmail? Really? Yahoo and hotmail are two email clients I wouldn't trust amy of my email.

PS, G+ is actually pretty good as a small group/personal friend basis. I'm loving it.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDmospd View Post
I get the point you are making but Yahoo over Gmail? Really? Yahoo and hotmail are two email clients I wouldn't trust amy of my email.

PS, G+ is actually pretty good as a small group/personal friend basis. I'm loving it.
gmail actually reads your emails to target ads....its not human read..but still...

As for yahoo..they are the biggest mail client..whats wrong that?

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Tags
google, google +, google plus