PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: sprint mogul
Carrier: sprint

mjoey77 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: RhodiumW/Sprint/Verizon/Telus Touch Pro 2 CID/Security/SIM Unlocker

Claims of 24/7 support then denying that support is not a good business model.
We shouldnt care what their personal life is about..
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetraveler View Post
how does one check to see if you are cid - Sim +security unlocked
the easiest way to tell is to ask yourself "did i buy the unlocker?" if the answer is no, you are not security unlocked.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:34 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

Ok so I'm kinda confused here lol... Flashed my CDMA Sprint TP like a bajillion times and never even floated over to this thread so I wasn't well prepared... Well Sprint CDMA Touch Pro 2 just got here today and I'm ready to MightyRom it out but obviously I have to unlock it first... So just to unlock it to flash ROM's, run the "RhodiumW-HardSPL_V1_10R3.exe" file and I'll be all set right..?? All this talk about SIM card has got me a bit confused and it seems that no matter how much searching I do everybody keeps referring to it as a GSM TP2 and well, I just know from the Touch Pro to stay away from anything GSM lol... Any help, perhaps I looked a bit to hard and oversearched but I can't find the info I'm looking for...

Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint RhodiumW (SIM/CID Unlocked), Titan, Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

Tplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to Tplane37 Send a message via MSN to Tplane37 Send a message via Yahoo to Tplane37
Re: [SIM-UNLOCKER] - -RhodiumW/Sprint/Verizon/Telus Touch Pro 2 CID/Security/SIM Unlo

Wow, that was a long read... Okay, here's my 2 cents plus my question for clarification purposes.

Sprint RhodiumW. On Sprint network.

Easy way to check to be sure the unlocker worked is to manually enter bootloader (Volume Down + Reset...hold for a couple seconds, you'll enter bootloader) or check the bootloader screen the next time you flash a ROM. If it went through, you should see "Security Unlocked" in red across the top of the bootloader screen. Well, at least mine does. The other way is, well...you followed the instructions and received no errors, you paid attention to your phone during the unlocking process, etc. and you flashed a "WU" Radio without error. Then you know you are unlocked. ANd of course, first and foremost...you donated and received the link.

Now that is out of the way. I would like some clarification as well. After a few hours of reading today, I believe I just wasted a good deal of my time. (I will not say that I wasted money on the unlocker because it worked flawlessly, and cmonex and Olipro have worked hard for the WinMo community and I intended to donate anyway.) I was under the impression that unlocking the SIM would allow my Sprint RhodiumW with the factory provided Sprint SIM Card to improve it's reception while in Global mode by using signal provided from GSM towers/satellites in the US. I did not expect to be able to run 100% in GSM mode on another carriers network without having to pay (as it seems some folks had thought). I thought it had something to do with the Global Alliance (or whatever it's called where the various carriers let customers from other carriers "piggy back" off their towers...like a Sprint customer roaming on a Verizon tower). I thought GSM had a similar setup.

So, since I have a Sprint RhodiumW, I am a Sprint customer with a Sprint SIM Card installed, I have no plans on obtaining cellular service from T-Mobile, AT&T, or any other GSM carrier in order to use their services. Does this pretty much mean that I had absolutely no reason to run the SIM Unlocker? Now that all is said and done, did I end up with anything from this other than the piece of mind knowing that I have donated as planned, and just happened to get a new app to play with for 10 minutes? What did I gain?

Also, did I read correctly that if I try to use this unlocker again in the future for some unforeseen reason, and I am using it on a different computer than the one I used to complete the transaction that I am going to have to catch Olipro to use it on say...my laptop from another room? or at my buddy's house down the road? What if I have to wipe the Hard Drive on this PC? I only have a couple of ReArms left on WIn7, so that day will be coming.

Thanks in advance! And keep up the good work regardless of rather or not I even needed this.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Tplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to Tplane37 Send a message via MSN to Tplane37 Send a message via Yahoo to Tplane37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 View Post
Ok so I'm kinda confused here lol... Flashed my CDMA Sprint TP like a bajillion times and never even floated over to this thread so I wasn't well prepared... Well Sprint CDMA Touch Pro 2 just got here today and I'm ready to MightyRom it out but obviously I have to unlock it first... So just to unlock it to flash ROM's, run the "RhodiumW-HardSPL_V1_10R3.exe" file and I'll be all set right..?? All this talk about SIM card has got me a bit confused and it seems that no matter how much searching I do everybody keeps referring to it as a GSM TP2 and well, I just know from the Touch Pro to stay away from anything GSM lol... Any help, perhaps I looked a bit to hard and oversearched but I can't find the info I'm looking for...
Use the free HardSPL if all you want to do if flash custom ROMs... It's free.

Found here: http://rhodiumw.htc-unlocks.com/hard-spl.php

(But I would tell you to donate anyway since they did work hard on the HardSPL as well...Donations recommended, but not required for flashing Custom ROMs.)
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: [SIM-UNLOCKER] - -RhodiumW/Sprint/Verizon/Telus Touch Pro 2 CID/Security/SIM Unlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tplane37 View Post
So, since I have a Sprint RhodiumW, I am a Sprint customer with a Sprint SIM Card installed, I have no plans on obtaining cellular service from T-Mobile, AT&T, or any other GSM carrier in order to use their services. Does this pretty much mean that I had absolutely no reason to run the SIM Unlocker? Now that all is said and done, did I end up with anything from this other than the piece of mind knowing that I have donated as planned, and just happened to get a new app to play with for 10 minutes? What did I gain?
if you don't plan on using gsm, you don't need the sim unlocker. i'm not touching the other part lol.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Thumbs up Re: [SIM-UNLOCKER] - -RhodiumW/Sprint/Verizon/Telus Touch Pro 2 CID/Security/SIM Unlo

Okay folks, here's what I have come up with after talking with cmonex (she is such a sweetheart)... My personal experience since I am a Sprint user with a Sprint phone and a Sprint account is not going to be as dramatic as those of you wishing to use a Sprint or Verizon Worldphone with your GSM Carrier.

For clarification, this is what the SIM Unlocker does. It allows you to snag your SIM Card that currently has an active account with a carrier such as AT&T or T-Mobile (there may be others as well) and slide it into the RhodiumW from a different carrier such as Sprint or Verizon. Once the SIM is unlocked and you GSM Carrier SIM Card is installed in place of the Sprint/Verizon SIM Card, the phone will then notice you have changed out your SIM Card and should revert to the settings for the card you have installed. End result, Sprint or Verizon Touch Pro 2 on the AT&T or T-Mobile network (or whichever network your GSM Service is through).

This unlocker also does the security unlock (CID Unlock). This allows you to flash custom or modified radios to your device. As I mentioned before, I am on a Sprint RhodiumW, the unlocked radio found here or here (2.23.WU) was originally for Verizon and Olipro/cmonex worked their magic to "Unlock" the radio. Without the CID Unlocker I would not have been able to flash this radio. Now given, I did not get to use the US GSM towers on Sprint, and I am pretty sure I can still travel outside of the US and continue using my phone as it was designed for world use...but the upgraded radio did improve my CDMA reception 3 fold (nearly triple the bars I was getting before all this). So this unlocker really can be benificial for everyone...some, obviously, more than others.

End result: I did get improved reception by flashing an unlocked radio. CID Unlock was required for this. I have no use for the SIM Unlock as of yet (unless the SIM had to be unlocked to keep me from having to acquire a new A-Key after flashing a radio like we used to have to do on the Titan...the radio simply flashed, booted, and worked), but unlocking the SIM did not hurt anything. So follow the link in the first post, donate and unlock your RhodiumW. At minimum you can then flash unlocked and updated radios and continue using your phone as usual. And also have the peice of mind knowing that you are supporting more quality work for future Windows Mobile Development. Not to mention you have a few more choices if you decide to abandon your current carrier and pick a new one...just take your phone with you
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Kmagn13 is becoming a great contributor

Just unlocked my Sprint TP2.... Worked like a charm.... used the 2.23 WU radio....Took like 5 minutes to complete whole thing....

DONT FORGET TO HIT THANKS IF I HELPED YOU
Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Raphael CDMA

Syriel is just getting started

Quote:
I was under the impression that unlocking the SIM would allow my Sprint RhodiumW with the factory provided Sprint SIM Card to improve it's reception while in Global mode by using signal provided from GSM towers/satellites in the US. I did not expect to be able to run 100% in GSM mode on another carriers network without having to pay (as it seems some folks had thought). I thought it had something to do with the Global Alliance (or whatever it's called where the various carriers let customers from other carriers "piggy back" off their towers...like a Sprint customer roaming on a Verizon tower). I thought GSM had a similar setup.
GSM does have a similar setup, but Sprint does not have roaming agreements with ATT US or TMO US. Basically, if you put the Sprint SIM in any GSM phone you're not going to lock onto a tower inside the US. The Sprint roaming agreements only come into play with foreign carriers.

Quote:
If you only plan on using Sprint as your carrier you did not gain anything in the way of service options. You will NOT use any GSM towers in the US with the Sprint SIM. What you did gain is the ability to flash custom radio ROMs to the device.

By default, the stock Sprint radio only has support for GSM 900/1800 (Euro bands) even though the hardware supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900. When you flash Oli's WU radio to the Sprint TP2 it re-enables support for GSM 850/1900 (NA bands).

The reason that Sprint disabled the (NA bands) is because the Sprint TP2 (unlike the VZW TP2) is SIM unlocked from the factory. The VZW TP2 ships with full band support, but it is SIM locked from the factory.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Kmagn13 is becoming a great contributor

I did see a boost in my reception.... Dont know if this i was why... i had the 2.23WV radio before....Then Flashed the 2.23 WU radio... I did see any improvement with the 2.23 WU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriel View Post
GSM does have a similar setup, but Sprint does not have roaming agreements with ATT US or TMO US. Basically, if you put the Sprint SIM in any GSM phone you're not going to lock onto a tower inside the US. The Sprint roaming agreements only come into play with foreign carriers.

If you only plan on using Sprint as your carrier you did not gain anything in the way of service options. You will NOT use any GSM towers in the US with the Sprint SIM. What you did gain is the ability to flash custom radio ROMs to the device.

By default, the stock Sprint radio only has support for GSM 900/1800 (Euro bands) even though the hardware supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900. When you flash Oli's WU radio to the Sprint TP2 it re-enables support for GSM 850/1900 (NA bands).

The reason that Sprint disabled the (NA bands) is because the Sprint TP2 (unlike the VZW TP2) is SIM unlocked from the factory. The VZW TP2 ships with full band support, but it is SIM locked from the factory.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development