View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Tplane37
PPCGeeks Regular

Tplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tplane37 Send a message via MSN to Tplane37 Send a message via Yahoo to Tplane37
Thumbs up Re: [SIM-UNLOCKER] - -RhodiumW/Sprint/Verizon/Telus Touch Pro 2 CID/Security/SIM Unlo

Okay folks, here's what I have come up with after talking with cmonex (she is such a sweetheart)... My personal experience since I am a Sprint user with a Sprint phone and a Sprint account is not going to be as dramatic as those of you wishing to use a Sprint or Verizon Worldphone with your GSM Carrier.

For clarification, this is what the SIM Unlocker does. It allows you to snag your SIM Card that currently has an active account with a carrier such as AT&T or T-Mobile (there may be others as well) and slide it into the RhodiumW from a different carrier such as Sprint or Verizon. Once the SIM is unlocked and you GSM Carrier SIM Card is installed in place of the Sprint/Verizon SIM Card, the phone will then notice you have changed out your SIM Card and should revert to the settings for the card you have installed. End result, Sprint or Verizon Touch Pro 2 on the AT&T or T-Mobile network (or whichever network your GSM Service is through).

This unlocker also does the security unlock (CID Unlock). This allows you to flash custom or modified radios to your device. As I mentioned before, I am on a Sprint RhodiumW, the unlocked radio found here or here (2.23.WU) was originally for Verizon and Olipro/cmonex worked their magic to "Unlock" the radio. Without the CID Unlocker I would not have been able to flash this radio. Now given, I did not get to use the US GSM towers on Sprint, and I am pretty sure I can still travel outside of the US and continue using my phone as it was designed for world use...but the upgraded radio did improve my CDMA reception 3 fold (nearly triple the bars I was getting before all this). So this unlocker really can be benificial for everyone...some, obviously, more than others.

End result: I did get improved reception by flashing an unlocked radio. CID Unlock was required for this. I have no use for the SIM Unlock as of yet (unless the SIM had to be unlocked to keep me from having to acquire a new A-Key after flashing a radio like we used to have to do on the Titan...the radio simply flashed, booted, and worked), but unlocking the SIM did not hurt anything. So follow the link in the first post, donate and unlock your RhodiumW. At minimum you can then flash unlocked and updated radios and continue using your phone as usual. And also have the peice of mind knowing that you are supporting more quality work for future Windows Mobile Development. Not to mention you have a few more choices if you decide to abandon your current carrier and pick a new one...just take your phone with you

This post has been thanked 1 times.