View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 02:45 AM
Tplane37
PPCGeeks Regular

Tplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tplane37 Send a message via MSN to Tplane37 Send a message via Yahoo to Tplane37
Re: [SIM-UNLOCKER] - -RhodiumW/Sprint/Verizon/Telus Touch Pro 2 CID/Security/SIM Unlo

Wow, that was a long read... Okay, here's my 2 cents plus my question for clarification purposes.

Sprint RhodiumW. On Sprint network.

Easy way to check to be sure the unlocker worked is to manually enter bootloader (Volume Down + Reset...hold for a couple seconds, you'll enter bootloader) or check the bootloader screen the next time you flash a ROM. If it went through, you should see "Security Unlocked" in red across the top of the bootloader screen. Well, at least mine does. The other way is, well...you followed the instructions and received no errors, you paid attention to your phone during the unlocking process, etc. and you flashed a "WU" Radio without error. Then you know you are unlocked. ANd of course, first and foremost...you donated and received the link.

Now that is out of the way. I would like some clarification as well. After a few hours of reading today, I believe I just wasted a good deal of my time. (I will not say that I wasted money on the unlocker because it worked flawlessly, and cmonex and Olipro have worked hard for the WinMo community and I intended to donate anyway.) I was under the impression that unlocking the SIM would allow my Sprint RhodiumW with the factory provided Sprint SIM Card to improve it's reception while in Global mode by using signal provided from GSM towers/satellites in the US. I did not expect to be able to run 100% in GSM mode on another carriers network without having to pay (as it seems some folks had thought). I thought it had something to do with the Global Alliance (or whatever it's called where the various carriers let customers from other carriers "piggy back" off their towers...like a Sprint customer roaming on a Verizon tower). I thought GSM had a similar setup.

So, since I have a Sprint RhodiumW, I am a Sprint customer with a Sprint SIM Card installed, I have no plans on obtaining cellular service from T-Mobile, AT&T, or any other GSM carrier in order to use their services. Does this pretty much mean that I had absolutely no reason to run the SIM Unlocker? Now that all is said and done, did I end up with anything from this other than the piece of mind knowing that I have donated as planned, and just happened to get a new app to play with for 10 minutes? What did I gain?

Also, did I read correctly that if I try to use this unlocker again in the future for some unforeseen reason, and I am using it on a different computer than the one I used to complete the transaction that I am going to have to catch Olipro to use it on say...my laptop from another room? or at my buddy's house down the road? What if I have to wipe the Hard Drive on this PC? I only have a couple of ReArms left on WIn7, so that day will be coming.

Thanks in advance! And keep up the good work regardless of rather or not I even needed this.