PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Mesmerize
Carrier: USCC

123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff123sit knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to 123sit
Re: <> 3-9-10 <> Medium Hill Rom's <> SYS 23544 & 21895 <> MH UC & Provisioning v3.2

I've been running the newest arkswitch (1.1.2) with no issues in conjunction with ameba. I don't use the taskbar to activate it though i have it tied to a hard key and open it like that. With the latest ROM I've been experiencing the sleep of death, anyone else? I even flashed back to stock, cleared storage, flashed new rom and then cleared storage but to no avail. Other than that great rom as usual Dibbs
Old 03-11-2010, 02:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

DKSE is a n00b
Re: <> 3-9-10 <> Medium Hill Rom's <> SYS 23544 & 21895 <> MH UC & Provisioning v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123sit View Post
I've been running the newest arkswitch (1.1.2) with no issues in conjunction with ameba. I don't use the taskbar to activate it though i have it tied to a hard key and open it like that. With the latest ROM I've been experiencing the sleep of death, anyone else? I even flashed back to stock, cleared storage, flashed new rom and then cleared storage but to no avail. Other than that great rom as usual Dibbs
I occasonally experience the sleep of death every day or two on 23544. A soft reset seems to fix it for a day or so.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Medium Hill Rom's
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & 2 HTC TP2's
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

dibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dibbson Send a message via MSN to dibbson

No sleep of death for me, been running since it's been cooked with no reset, it is probably your ameba arkswitch combo as arkswitch has and can cause issues. I'm not saying that's it, but i have not experienced any SOD on 23545 or 23544. Although I also have zero extra cabs installed besides prov and mms.

It is funny you are that low, I am currently at 62MB and have not soft reset or used clean ram since I flashed this last night. But none the less, I'm gonna give you'll my long 2 or 3 cents about the RAM issue you are reporting, so here goes....

Back a few years ago when Vista launched, I had the privilege of being one of the MS representatives for the Vista OS launch. One thing that did for me was let me pose questions to the Vista Dev team. As I tend to tear apart a PC or MAC OS rather quickly when they come out, one of the first things I noticed was the way Vista managed, controlled, released, etc... memory. And one of the big irritation factors for me was the way Vista allocated memory from your main system RAM to your graphics card or lack there of (on board mobo chipset) or what ever the case may have been. As at the time, I had a brand spankin' new nVidia 8800 (powerhouse gcard at the time) with 512MB of on board video ram. So why would I need any extra RAM allocated from my system RAM to my gcard? Seemed pointless to me. So for a week or so, I went on a hunt trying to figure out why and a way to release the system RAM from my gcard. After not finding anything to do about it, I took advantage of speaking with the Vista dev team to try and find an answer. So I posed the question in a diminishing returns/bottle neck situation type of question. I asked what if someone had a gcard with 256 or 512MB of on board ram (which back then was plenty) and they had 1GB of system ram, and vista was allocating say.... 256MB of system ram to the gcard, Vista itself was taking up 376MB which would leave less than half of your system memory left for apps. You then proceed to run a few apps and the system RAM start to bottle neck (ie. reach 100% usage). At that point would the OS start to release the allocated system RAM that was initially allocated to the gcard to offset the extra load from the running applications....? Direct answer from the Vista dev team at the time was yes, yes the OS can release RAM and there was supposedly a built in percentage of system RAM of when it needed to start releasing more RAM from the gcard (and other non essential items), although it may not reflect that change in RAM under gcard properties where it showed how much system ram was being sent over from the system, mostly because of the way the pae system was so broke in reporting system RAM sometimes.

Anyways, long story short, this may be what they are doing with these new builds, as the 235xx series is a pretty active and experimental com branch. It would not surprise me if they were experimenting further with dynamic RAM control with a percentage based releasing scheme (ie. release the RAM when it gets to a certain point). This would also explain the lower RAM numbers but if you noticed as I did with the last couple of builds, the speed of the wm system improved drastically across the board. So I would not worry about the RAM thing, this may be MS just improving system speed by better dynamic control and releasing of RAM.

Donations are never required, but ever so much appreciated if you feel the need to do so.

Last edited by dibbson; 03-11-2010 at 02:24 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Re: The Question of Memory? Medium Hill Rom's <> SYS 23544

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryee34 View Post
Dibbson or anyone else for that matter, I'm only asking out of pure curiosity because actually my phone has been running flawlessly since installation of 23544. What is your opinion on how much program memory is normal for a high usage, one soft reset a day and every 3hr CleanRam setup Touch Pro2? Mine starts with close to 90mb and after several hours it is down to 30+mb. I have that NoPushInternet .cab installed but I never know whether or not it even applies with custom ROMS. Are there any memory saving tweaks you've found to be useful that I haven't listed? Thanks Everyone in advance.
I never fall below ~60-65mb unless i have stuff running. And i rarelly soft reset cause dibbsons rom is just that fcking cool.

Last edited by PropagandaX; 03-11-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbson View Post
because they don't use PPCK, they use VK variants, totally different. Like i stated before the people who made/developed ppck are aware for sometime and have been looking at it, just like i have. Since it's a kitchen problem, all those people you listed would be in the same boat as me since they didn't make the kitchen.
I have no proof of this but when i flash roms made from VK variants (like mighty) about 50% of the time I have issues with random hard resets, etc. On your roms and a few others I have NEVER had a random hard reset or even had to flash stock to fix a problem. I love it.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Medium Hill Rom's
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & 2 HTC TP2's
Threadstarter

dibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dibbson Send a message via MSN to dibbson

yep same here, i'm not advocating this, but i never flash to stock either and never have random hard resets. One thing to keep in mind though, is if your on a rom that has a different page pool than the one your about to flash, that can cause issues if you don't follow a proper procedure. Also using vista/win 7 with wmdc and not flashing correctly can cause issues as well, as there is a preferred flashing procedure for that as well. I only flash my roms, as i don't have time to flash allot of other chefs, but I always manually put mine into bootloader to flash.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X & TP2
Carrier: VZW

mugsy77 knows their stuffmugsy77 knows their stuffmugsy77 knows their stuffmugsy77 knows their stuffmugsy77 knows their stuffmugsy77 knows their stuffmugsy77 knows their stuffmugsy77 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKSE View Post
I occasionally experience the sleep of death every day or two on 23544. A soft reset seems to fix it for a day or so.
This almost occurs quote often, and a lot of times right after running the Verizon provision .cab upon first boot. I've not had it occur with running other provision .cabs and I don't add many mods to custom roms. Not sure what to say...

-The whole pleasure of marriage is that it is a perpetual crisis — GK Chesterton
Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

ryee34 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropagandaX View Post
I never fall below ~60-65mb unless i have stuff running. And i rarelly soft reset cause dibbsons rom is just that fcking cool.
I'm pretty much OCD when it comes to closing programs out immediately after using them. Let's be clear, my experience with this ROM has been nothing short of excellent. The last 36 hrs or so, my RAM usually settles around 44-45mb. I will note in support of Dibbsons hypothesis that even when it had dipped much lower, the performance of my device has never lagged. I was actually really surprised that I didn't get any "not enough memory" errors whatsoever. I simply thought it was curious. Either way, Medium Hill 23544 is THE MOST STABLE ROM I've tried, by far, out of the many I've installed.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryee34 View Post
I'm pretty much OCD when it comes to closing programs out immediately after using them. Let's be clear, my experience with this ROM has been nothing short of excellent. The last 36 hrs or so, my RAM usually settles around 44-45mb. I will note in support of Dibbsons hypothesis that even when it had dipped much lower, the performance of my device has never lagged. I was actually really surprised that I didn't get any "not enough memory" errors whatsoever. I simply thought it was curious. Either way, Medium Hill 23544 is THE MOST STABLE ROM I've tried, by far, out of the many I've installed.
I too usually run in the mid 40mb free ram (its much higher than this at first boot but that is usually what it settles to with all apps closed). that being said, i don't think it matters as dibbs pointed out earlier. in fact, windows will close apps for more memory when needed. that happens to opera on most of these 6.5.x roms, but i don't remember that happening to me yet on this build bc it is that good. I have had 1 sod in 3 days, but I don't think that is enough to start thinking its a trend.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good workivwonka is keeping up the good work

My screen shots are attached. This thing runs awesome even with all the following installed and some reg edits:

mh sprint provisioning, teeter, santod no calendar date bkground, santod mods no calendar, page bkground, santod no clock background, bigdadad clock font wonton blue, rtwood blue ash slider, santod blue notify bubble, bignadad sense transparent clock, santod flat black slider, cookie tab editor, cookie home tab, santod b4all test1, farkle, pedometer, gravityballs, divxplayer, nfs undercover, wunderradio, mystopwatch, mobipocket, smart simon, sudoku, tripyzee, sportypal, flashlight, all mobile mines, diamondbeer, weather radar,
gps location, shakeandsave, hdwobble, sprite backup, goosync, spinthearrow2, weatherbug, bluffmycall, smartlyrics, tarkim keyboard controller, g invaders, diamond cubes, bubblelevel, audiopara3, opnmarket, bubblewrap, dusk wmp skin, nanogroove (i much prefer to grovefish), mobilemetronome, arelas battery monitor, zm dialer, bsb g-config, dh listview start menu, slacker radio, htceros blue clouds, 2way recording, apristel reply2allfix, marketplace, picranium, ap mobile, fakecall, pocketuno, glympse, freda, boingles, ndrouletta, experiment 13, opera mini5, bnm7bnm weather tab icons and home tab arrows, mh mms sprint

obviously, i have not had a chance to test everything, but i have had no bugs yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1.jpg (10.0 KB, 17 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg ScreenShot2.jpg (10.4 KB, 14 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg ScreenShot3.jpg (7.5 KB, 14 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg ScreenShot4.jpg (9.6 KB, 12 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg ScreenShot5.jpg (9.6 KB, 13 views) Click for barcode!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development