PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 12:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

ryee34 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question The Question of Memory? Medium Hill Rom's <> SYS 23544

Dibbson or anyone else for that matter, I'm only asking out of pure curiosity because actually my phone has been running flawlessly since installation of 23544. What is your opinion on how much program memory is normal for a high usage, one soft reset a day and every 3hr CleanRam setup Touch Pro2? Mine starts with close to 90mb and after several hours it is down to 30+mb. I have that NoPushInternet .cab installed but I never know whether or not it even applies with custom ROMS. Are there any memory saving tweaks you've found to be useful that I haven't listed? Thanks Everyone in advance.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Medium Hill Rom's
Pocket PC: HTC EVO & 2 HTC TP2's
Threadstarter

dibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dibbson Send a message via MSN to dibbson
Re: <> 3-9-10 <> Medium Hill Rom's <> SYS 23544 & 21895 <> MH UC & Provisioning v3.2

Hmm, interesting. I never soft reset mine (unless it's cuz i'm flashing a test build and that's not really a soft reset, lol), and I never use clean ram. And i never ever fall below 65 or 70 MB even with 6 email accounts refreshing every 30 minutes, and weather every 3 hours. How many apps are you leaving running all the time? Besides email and weather, I don't really leave any apps running, I always close them out. And I don't have push internet installed, so no need for that cab. Sounds like you got something going on, or either a whole bunch of apps running, as I doubt it would be that nopushinternet cab, but you can uninstall that.

Donations are never required, but ever so much appreciated if you feel the need to do so.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Rhodium

geekdaddy is keeping up the good workgeekdaddy is keeping up the good workgeekdaddy is keeping up the good work
Re: <> 3-9-10 <> Medium Hill Rom's <> SYS 23544 & 21895 <> MH UC & Provisioning v3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbson View Post
Hmm, interesting. I never soft reset mine (unless it's cuz i'm flashing a test build and that's not really a soft reset, lol), and I never use clean ram. And i never ever fall below 65 or 70 MB even with 6 email accounts refreshing every 30 minutes, and weather every 3 hours. How many apps are you leaving running all the time? Besides email and weather, I don't really leave any apps running, I always close them out. And I don't have push internet installed, so no need for that cab. Sounds like you got something going on, or either a whole bunch of apps running, as I doubt it would be that nopushinternet cab, but you can uninstall that.
On the most recent MH ROM, I get ~90MB free RAM after a clean install. After setting up my corp exchange server, I've got under 80MB after a soft reset. The free RAM drops quickly after that and I rely on CleanRAM to keep me going between soft resets. Opera seems to be an especially large memory hog and free RAM is never the same after running (and closing) it. So I'd say that my experience is more similar to ryee34's.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibbson View Post
Well, I'm pretty diligent about closing everything out immediately after using it via the upper right hand corner task mgr. I'll uninstall NoPushInternet and keep an eye on things. Maybe it was just something I did today. Otherwise, there's nothing I can think of that might be reducing it so much. Don't get me wrong, my phone still runs fine without a single "not enough memory" errors even after it drops significantly. I was actually just curious because free RAM seems to always be such a high priority. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks.

Last edited by ryee34; 03-11-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Medium Hill Rom's
Threadstarter

dibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the communitydibbson is a trusted member of the community

Yeah, that darned opera can really be like a pig in a food trough with RAM. That's one reason I strictly run off of skyfire. Some people may say it's slow, but i'm always in such a good evdo area it runs really smooth for me, and waayyy better on the memory.

Here's something that will be on the first post tomorrow, but here's just a link for now as I didn't have time to get the verizon version done tonight. Lots of goodies, apps that were missing are back in, updater is back in, and one surprise app as well
http://mediumhill.com/dibbson/roms/t...45Sense2.5.rar

Last edited by dibbson; 03-11-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Yeah, I prefer Skyfire too. Did you have a chance to try the new YouTube app? It seems to run a little faster and have a much better interface. Thanks for the link too.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Medium Hill Rom's
Threadstarter

Crap, seems like something is off with the web browser in the updater, or either i accidentally cooked the wrong version. oh well i will fix/cook in the right one tomorrow. but enjoy the rest of what i did.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: sprint

Wizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWizzard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Dibbs,

Can you please include a cab for the former Tsowen taskbar please??

I like all of the colors and the round battery meter!

Love the ROM 23544 works great! Will pick up the 45 tomorrow!

Can we wear these things out by flashing them too much????

You are the greatest!!!!

Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Medium Hill Rom's
Threadstarter

i don't have a cab for that, only OEM. And it's a good thing the updater had an issue with the web browser control, cuz it gave me an awesome idea i should have thought of to begin with, lol. Will fix it tonight. And technically, yes, you could possibly wear your phone out from flashing too much. But I highly doubt it will happen.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc rhodium
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

cls_ is becoming a great contributor
Re: The Question of Memory? Medium Hill Rom's <> SYS 23544

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryee34 View Post
Dibbson or anyone else for that matter, I'm only asking out of pure curiosity because actually my phone has been running flawlessly since installation of 23544. What is your opinion on how much program memory is normal for a high usage, one soft reset a day and every 3hr CleanRam setup Touch Pro2? Mine starts with close to 90mb and after several hours it is down to 30+mb. I have that NoPushInternet .cab installed but I never know whether or not it even applies with custom ROMS. Are there any memory saving tweaks you've found to be useful that I haven't listed? Thanks Everyone in advance.

Yeah, I got the same problem. I've believe the problem started in the 2354x series, and I don't believe it happened on any of the versions before that. I also noticed this issue on other custom roms using the 2354x series, in particular energy rom. Guessing it has to do with the newest SYS builds... in particular is seems gwes,exe eats up more memory over time and never really releases it.

Things to Note:
- Memory eventually settles around 30MB.
- Clean ram only frees up a few megs on a level 3 clean.
- All programs are closed out, and NOT left running.
- I have noticed this problem with heavy and light usage.
- Using Exchange, and that is the only mail account on the phone.

Last edited by cls_; 03-11-2010 at 01:14 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > CDMA TP2 Development