PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

Vancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuffVancer knows their stuff
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey guys,

Ok first off I must state that I AM NO BATTERY expert! I have been following ms79723's thread since the very beginning though (even before it was moved to the dev forum) and read a lot about the SBC kernel. Having said that here is my opinion for what it's worth...

I don't think the kernel is a safety hazard. The code never let's the batt go over 4.2 v nor does it let it over heat ... so my belief is that any of the melting, burning, or blowing up posts must have had other contributing factors. I came to this conclusion by following the thread and other threads and seeing posts with specific explanations from ppl who claim to work in the battery industry in development and design and didn't seem to have any vested interest in ms79723's kernel ... they were just giving information.

The other issue then is batt life and if what I have read has been correct then I believe it will decrease the life of the battery, although I have not seen anybody who could say accurately by how much. What I have read says that the stock kernel doesn't do what SBC does b/c its hard on the batt to be at full charge for prolonged periods of time and of course HTC wants it to last longer for customer satisfaction and avoid warranty replacements (IMHO). So it comes down to individual use needs IMO. If it just bugs u that it drops quick from 100% but it gets u through the day or u have frequent enough access to a charger during the day I wouldn't use it and get better life out of the batt. If that is not the case and u absolutely have to have more life to get through the day then just expect to replace the batt sooner... but who knows how much sooner?

I had to have my phone get through a possible 14hr day with no access to charging so I broke down and bought the Sprint 2600 ext batt and never have to worry anymore with the stock kernel and don't want to kill the life on this batt. If I hadn't bought the ext batt then I would be running the SBC kernel.

Again ... all simply my opinions and perspective from my research!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

jayhuffdaddy is keeping up the good workjayhuffdaddy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is anyone having an issue with the market? When I click my apps it shows I only have one. Also I'm getting a force close on teeter as well.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

byrdtatums is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v4.4 | FroYo 3.70.651.1 | *Updated 12/30/10*

Can anyone share what the differences are between version 3.8, 4.1, and the latest update? I'm new to the Rom so not sure what changed.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker

jayhuffdaddy is keeping up the good workjayhuffdaddy is keeping up the good work
Changes are on page one of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdtatums View Post
Can anyone share what the differences are between version 3.8, 4.1, and the latest update? I'm new to the Rom so not sure what changed.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: SPRINT

Nygel knows their stuffNygel knows their stuffNygel knows their stuffNygel knows their stuffNygel knows their stuffNygel knows their stuffNygel knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhuffdaddy View Post
Is anyone having an issue with the market? When I click my apps it shows I only have one. Also I'm getting a force close on teeter as well.

push teeter if you must have it from a previous build, it got compress thats why its not functioning
Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygel View Post
push teeter if you must have it from a previous build, it got compress thats why its not functioning
Thanks, what about market

Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
I am having the battery problems as well. Seems like the battery drains quickly when its asleep. I am using the latest HTC kernel, I believe 15. This is by far my favorite Rom I just want the battery to be better. Please fix.
It may be helpful it you post what you did to try to fix it to help narrow down the possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpot View Post
Thanks for the link OMJ and the person who posted it earlier.

Anybody who is having problems with battery life, I strongly suggest going back to 3.8.

I just wonder what is causing the drain. It must be something that is running in the background that wasn't before. I'll be monitoring this thread closely to see when it's safe to jump back into 3.7.
LOL, it's safe

Battery is fine for me. Idle time is killer-kinda negates the chances that something is mysteriously running in the background. IMO..If it were something within the 3.70 OTA it would be much more widespread. I know there are some reports of issues.
A few questions to those with issues....

-Did you update radios/wimax?
You should. Mixing old radios with new OTA software is of course possible but from everything I've read you should keep them up to date.
Updating PRI is optional IMO.
I'm up to date on everything.

-Did you update PRL and Profile post flash?
I hit both of those after every flash.

-Did you give the ROM/battery a few charge cycles?
I dont see true battery life till Day 2 or 3.

-If the batt life seems really off a reflash may be in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhuffdaddy View Post
Thanks, what about market

Yeah, Market is being a pain for me today-not your issue but I'm having some type of connection issues, kept getting Server error.
All seems ok atm.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

byrdtatums is a n00b

Just an update from earlier. Went back to the stick kernel that was linked a couple pages back and my battery life is much better now. I'm going on 14 hrs now and still have about 40% of my battery left and that was with pretty heavy use in the afternoon. I do have the extended battery as an fyi as well.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Well, looks like market is working properly again. Just checked "my apps" and they are now there.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
OMJ
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC 10!!!!!
Threadstarter

OMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation levelOMJ can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Thx for the battery info Vancer....I like it when u guys bring info back from your research.....I definitely dont have the time to invest.....

RE: battery life.....

personally I don't think the battery life is all that bad, but I will admit, I am not a heavy user. I do though have Gmail, Exchange & 3 IMAP accounts. Gmail & Exchange are push, IMAPs check every hr. I stick w/ the stock kernel.....recently I was seeing increased battery usage, but remembered I had installed m:IQ & it was draining the battery. I have also started leaving gps off until I need it.

so usually after 13-14 hrs I am still at 60 - 70%....now knowing the battery charger shuts off once @ 100% & the rest of the night it's basically running on battery, explains why the battery drops 10% so fast. so if I had that 10%, ending the day @ 70 - 80% is not bad at all.

This morning I tested it, took it off the charger earlier than normal, hit the web abit.....in no time I was @ 90%, put it back on the charger 45min b4 leaving.....it stayed @ 100% much longer, and after 1.5 hrs I was still @ 95%....so it's definitely better, and I'll be making this a habit every day.

Quote:
here's a quick overview....

3.7 & 3.8 - Based on leaked stocked 3.30.651.2 RUU
3.9 & 4.0 - Based on official stock 3.30.651.3 RUU
4.1 & 4.2 - Based on stock 3.70.651.1 RUU
4.3 & 4.4 - Based on Aamikam's tweaked 3.70 base (re-engineered)

between 3.7 & 4.4, there was several app updates, and framework changes, the changelog on post #1 has better details

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development