PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

richarc93 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowsquat View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

king's bfs #8 is the best kernel I've tried.
Same here.... its been running good for past few days..

Sent from my Evo"Nator" using TapaTalk
Old 09-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Gawd no. The Thanks are great but that's not why I do it.
I just do it for the love of the game
True.... gotta love the game.... u do know ur shit though... thanks for ur dedication and "accurate" responses ...

Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Wow... not many posts in past few days.... the EvOdRoiD has been running smoothly I see... usually if more than 2 days past without following up on the thread, I would be 3 or 4 pages behind in chatter.....

Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: sprint

garapyuto is just getting started
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v3.1 | FroYo 3.26.651.6 | *Updated 8/30/10*

OK. IKS, I am still trying to get google maps to install. I found a .zip file that I am trying to use an installer. I can install the zip vial bootloader and recovery, but the version of google maps in the installer is an older version. I tried replacing the new version of maps in the ZIP for the older one, but bootloader/flash from zip won't open with the updated maps apk. Any ideas?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
boostedbanana is VIP!!
Pocket PC: Supercharged EVO with 3000mah of boost!!
Carrier: Sprint

stanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIPstanglifemike is a VIP

Another fan of King's BFS #8 here!! Running great with good Quadrant results. I agree with Rich, not many replies in a ROM thread just means that no one is having any issues with the ROM and everything is running smoothly. I remeber when we first got the HSPL for the TP2 and the ROM threads had 50+ pages of "this/that isnt working" or "ok, found another issue" kind of posts...

Modding phones and modding Mustangs..
My white Evo with a black battery door is SEXY!!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul-touch pro-touch pro 2- HTC Evo!!!!!

mkc90 is keeping up the good workmkc90 is keeping up the good work

i forgot how to update the kernal..??
can somebody refresh my mind please
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community
Lightbulb Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.2 Custom ROM v3.1 | FroYo 3.26.651.6 | *Updated 8/30/10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by garapyuto View Post
OK. IKS, I am still trying to get google maps to install. I found a .zip file that I am trying to use an installer. I can install the zip vial bootloader and recovery, but the version of google maps in the installer is an older version. I tried replacing the new version of maps in the ZIP for the older one, but bootloader/flash from zip won't open with the updated maps apk. Any ideas?
Try installing the old version then go to the Market and either search for Google Maps or hit Menu/Download and see if it says Update on Maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc90 View Post
i forgot how to update the kernal..??
can somebody refresh my mind please
Flash it just like a ROM, you shouldn't need to wipe. If you have issues, wipe cache and Dalvik and reflash.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul-touch pro-touch pro 2- HTC Evo!!!!!

mkc90 is keeping up the good workmkc90 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Try installing the old version then go to the Market and either search for Google Maps or hit Menu/Download and see if it says Update on Maps.

Flash it just like a ROM, you shouldn't need to wipe. If you have issues, wipe cache and Dalvik and reflash.
thank you
Old 09-08-2010, 12:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

That0neUser is keeping up the good workThat0neUser is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Well turns out if you do the data.img restore OMJ posted on Post #3 it isnt the quick and easy way to restore your data and settings like we thought it was. At least in OMJ.
In OMJ's ROM's he uses the data partition for his "custom" apps.
Problem with that is when you do the data restore the old data overwrites the new thus wiping out his updated/newly included apps.
It's kinda like doing a full nand restore apps-wise, you're back on the old ones.
An easy solution could be for OMJ to put all his apps in /system/app.
This way you'd flash the ROM with a blank data partition and could put all your apps back into /data/app.
I would *guess* that would result in you having two versions of the same app. For example if you had wifi tether 7 on your nand data partition and OMJ released a new ROM with wifi tether 8 then when you did your restore you'd have 7 in data/app and 8 from OMJ in /system/app.
Not a big issue IMO.
I've been doing the data.img restore since OMJ first mentioned it and noticed this issue after using it the second time. However, I personally think it's a positive thing...personal taste.

Before OMJ mentioned the data.img restore method, I used to go through and remove most of the apps from data/app in the ROM .zip prior to flashing the ROM to save from having to uninstall them individually once flashed. Restoring the data.img file saves me the effort of having to do either; uninstall or delete them from the ROM .zip file.

So if you already have the apps installed, and updated, that are on a new ROM the data.img restore is nice...and you get all your settings restored. But if there was a new app you wanted, you could just copy that .apk from the data/app and install it manually.

Anyway, it's all personal preference....everyone does things differently. I don't use ROM Manager, and rarely use Titanium Backup. I prefer ADB and the custom recovery...never had any issues whatsoever.

I personally wouldn't be a fan of moving the "custom apps" to system/app. Just my two cents... =)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by That0neUser View Post
I've been doing the data.img restore since OMJ first mentioned it and noticed this issue after using it the second time. However, I personally think it's a positive thing...personal taste.

Before OMJ mentioned the data.img restore method, I used to go through and remove most of the apps from data/app in the ROM .zip prior to flashing the ROM to save from having to uninstall them individually once flashed. Restoring the data.img file saves me the effort of having to do either; uninstall or delete them from the ROM .zip file.

So if you already have the apps installed, and updated, that are on a new ROM the data.img restore is nice...and you get all your settings restored. But if there was a new app you wanted, you could just copy that .apk from the data/app and install it manually.

Anyway, it's all personal preference....everyone does things differently. I don't use ROM Manager, and rarely use Titanium Backup. I prefer ADB and the custom recovery...never had any issues whatsoever.

I personally wouldn't be a fan of moving the "custom apps" to system/app. Just my two cents... =)
I hear ya Bro. I wasn't condemning the whole process, just pointing out the issue with the updated apps.
For a smart feller like you who has updated the apps already it really isn't an issue.

The question was asked does the old data overwrite the new and I didnt know so that's why I looked into it. I thought it important to mention for those users who rely on OMJ for updated apps.
They would be the ones "going backward" apps-wise by restoring the old data.img

I personally dont see an issue with apps in /system/app since I yank them out of there all the time. Like you said, personal preference.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development