PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: windows 7
Carrier: SPRINT HTC TOUCH PRO 2

tiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How To Compile Your Own Kernels, Modules, Tinboot (NAND boot), and More for Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I think you are getting the terms mixed up. You can partition the SD card to have ext2 partitions which the init script is set up to recognize. If it finds the right partition layout, it will natively write to the sd card rather than creating a data.img.

If you don't partition the sd card and just leave it formatted as FAT32, the data.img by default is in ext2 as you can see from the code: init - eclair-rootfs in XDANDROID Eclair - Gitorious

If you want it to actually say data.ext2, you can just change the extension and update the if statement to check for data.ext2 instead of data.img, but it won't affect performance or change the way it works.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up too. I almost forgot to get it updated! Maybe I'll have some free time tomorrow when I get home from work
thanks nate.

what i want to do is this.
a already created a fat32 and ext2 partition on my sd card. so i have 2 partition.

fat32 for my android stuff (system.ext2,roofts etc....)
ext2 for the data.img only. i want linux to create the data.img inside the ext2 partition. i know the data.img is usually created and locate it in the anboot folder. i want the data.img to be locate it inside the ext2 partition.

i dont know if i making any sense.

thanks man
Old 03-10-2011, 11:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD 400)
Carrier: Sprint

rpierce99 is keeping up the good workrpierce99 is keeping up the good work
Re: How To Compile Your Own Kernels, Modules, Tinboot (NAND boot), and More for Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiad8 View Post
thanks nate.

what i want to do is this.
a already created a fat32 and ext2 partition on my sd card. so i have 2 partition.

fat32 for my android stuff (system.ext2,roofts etc....)
ext2 for the data.img only. i want linux to create the data.img inside the ext2 partition. i know the data.img is usually created and locate it in the anboot folder. i want the data.img to be locate it inside the ext2 partition.

i dont know if i making any sense.

thanks man
The whole point of having an EXT2 partition is so that you're not storing all of the data files in a loop mounted file, but storing them natively on the partition of the card. All you are going to get is added complexity if you require a partition but you're still using a data.img inside that new partition.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I have tried to follow the instruction to compile these kernels etc. both on VMware and VBox and it dies at this command:

bash: git://gitorious.org/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm.git: No such file or directory

Anyone, still trying to do this that can help?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Flashaholic!
Pocket PC: Vogue->(TP2/Incredible 2/ThunderBolt)
Carrier: Verizon

Lmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy View Post
I have tried to follow the instruction to compile these kernels etc. both on VMware and VBox and it dies at this command:

bash: git://gitorious.org/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm.git: No such file or directory

Anyone, still trying to do this that can help?

You don't really need that folder git.

This is all you need. The Bootenv is new since Nate updated the first post.
Code:
git clone git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/prebuilt.git

git clone git://gitorious.org/~acl/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm-rhod-nand.git

git clone git://gitorious.org/tinboot-for-linux-msm/tinboot-linux-msm.git
git clone git://gitorious.org/tinboot-for-linux-msm/bootenv.git
Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

jerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjerryyyyy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmiller1708 View Post

Code:

git clone git://gitorious.org/~acl/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm-rhod-nand.git

Thanks. Have been going in circles. Do you still need wine?

I have had problems with the install in VBOX as a permission window comes up with an <OK> that I cannot hit. I tried using the application manager and installed it from that, but who knows if it is the correct version. I think I will try the application manager version as that does not crash and I can always uninstall.

Thanks, again.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Flashaholic!
Pocket PC: Vogue->(TP2/Incredible 2/ThunderBolt)
Carrier: Verizon

Lmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIP
Wirelessly posted (TP2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; MSM Build/FRX05) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryyyyy
Quote:

Code:

Thanks. Have been going in circles. Do you still need wine?

I have had problems with the install in VBOX as a permission window comes up with an <OK> that I cannot hit. I tried using the application manager and installed it from that, but who knows if it is the correct version. I think I will try the application manager version as that does not crash and I can always uninstall.

Thanks, again.
Yup you still need wine.

Yeah I was having troubles with the ok boxes too just keep hitting the arrow key and it should select it for you.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (TP2: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; MSM Build/FRX05) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Yup you still need wine.

Yeah I was having troubles with the ok boxes too just keep hitting the arrow key and it should select it for you.
Have been working on this and I think my problems stem from an instruction above which reads:

git://gitorious.org/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm.git

and should read:

git clone git://gitorious.org/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/linux-msm.git

The files are downloading... and I will see if it compiles. If this all works, I'll make a list of all the correct commands needed....
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC G1, TP2
Carrier: T-Mobile

highlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good workhighlandsun is keeping up the good work
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierce99 View Post
The whole point of having an EXT2 partition is so that you're not storing all of the data files in a loop mounted file, but storing them natively on the partition of the card. All you are going to get is added complexity if you require a partition but you're still using a data.img inside that new partition.
Also, you can't go half way; if you want data to reside in its own partition you must also create a system partition. (With the current rootfs init script anyway.)

Sent from my MSM using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Looks like with the modification 2 posts above, it worked!

I had to manually cd as below to run the make:

XXXXXXXXXX-VirtualBox:~$ cd linux-msm
XXXXXXXXXX-VirtualBox:~/linux-msm$ make clean
XXXXXXXXXX-VirtualBox:~/linux-msm$ make ARCH=arm htc_msm_android_defconfig
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
scripts/basic/fixdep.c: In function ‘traps’:
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:377: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
scripts/basic/fixdep.c:379: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
HOSTCC scripts/basic/docproc
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function ‘conf_askvalue’:
scripts/kconfig/conf.c:104: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function ‘conf_choice’:
scripts/kconfig/conf.c:306: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
#
# configuration written to .config
#

Now, all I have to do is figure out the next steps...
Old 03-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Lurker
Carrier: MegaFon

vovka48 is a n00b

Tell why my 2.6.27.46-01276-g6a6a1c1-dirty.tar.gz has the size ~7Mb?
And with autobuild site 1.5Mb
Why kernel compilation occupies so much a lot of time?
Did all as in the first post for, but linux it is not loaded
And how correctly to collect archive of modules?

Last edited by vovka48; 03-13-2011 at 11:04 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2