PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How To Compile Your Own Kernels, Modules, Tinboot (NAND boot), and More for Begin

I'm finally setup up Ubuntu under Vmware; for the Froyo system.ext2, rootfs, and initrd, how do you grab the sources? Will it be something like this?

Quote:
git clone git://gitorious.org/xdandroid-froyo/froyo-rootfs.git
git clone git://gitorious.org/xdandroid-froyo/initramfs.git

Last edited by ndno; 02-15-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: How To Compile Your Own Kernels, Modules, Tinboot (NAND boot), and More for Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
I'm finally setup up Ubuntu under Vmware; for the Froyo system.ext2, rootfs, and initrd, how do you grab the sources? Will it be something like this?
For building the system, it is much more complicated and something that I have not set up in my environment. You compile a lot with Java and such.

For rootfs and initrd, it's pretty much what you said, but the gits are the wrong addresses. Haret is the only one using rootfs now as we changed it for NAND. Here are the two gits you want to clone:

Code:
git clone git://gitorious.org/xdandroid-eclair/eclair-rootfs.git
git clone git://gitorious.org/xdandroid-eclair/initramfs.git
Note: They are restructuring the XDAndroid stuff to get rid of legacy names like eclair and all that.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 PM
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
For building the system, it is much more complicated and something that I have not set up in my environment. You compile a lot with Java and such.

For rootfs and initrd, it's pretty much what you said, but the gits are the wrong addresses. Haret is the only one using rootfs now as we changed it for NAND. Here are the two gits you want to clone:

Code:
git clone git://gitorious.org/xdandroid-eclair/eclair-rootfs.git
git clone git://gitorious.org/xdandroid-eclair/initramfs.git
Note: They are restructuring the XDAndroid stuff to get rid of legacy names like eclair and all that.
Thanks. I see they have the instructions to build the Froyo system.ext2 posted on the XDAndroid site. I'll follow your instructions to build the rootfs and initrd. Planning to play around and build the full package (include kernel/modules) to run with haret.exe. For my work, I have worked with OMAP A8 processor and have some experience playing around with the x-loader and u-boot on the NAND. Trying to learn a little about how the Android system is set up. For my work, I have the Mistral OMAP3530 board so I'm going to eventually try to get Froyo to run on it using this kit from TI: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index....2_ReleaseNotes

Last edited by ndno; 02-15-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Guys, I wanted to let you all know that this post is now out-dated for NAND, and I'm just waiting for things to finalize a little more before I update it. We officially have no rootfs anymore, and everything is done through init.rc or combined into the system/data store. I'll explain this a little better when I do update the first post.

I also have a huge update to do on the first post of the NAND testing thread as well. This will get first priority, and then I'll head over here and get this one updated as well.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Guys, I wanted to let you all know that this post is now out-dated for NAND, and I'm just waiting for things to finalize a little more before I update it. We officially have no rootfs anymore, and everything is done through init.rc or combined into the system/data store. I'll explain this a little better when I do update the first post.

I also have a huge update to do on the first post of the NAND testing thread as well. This will get first priority, and then I'll head over here and get this one updated as well.
Looking forward to it, thanks for keeping these threads up-to-date!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: windows 7
Carrier: SPRINT HTC TOUCH PRO 2

tiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the community

hi, nate

I know you are very busy. i apologise for that.

I have an important question.

data.img

1- when android is creating the data.img, you think is possible to let initrd.gz know, to add the data.img to an ext2 partition with 300mb. i want to keep the data.img in a ext2 partition by it self.

1- fat32 for all android stuff
2- ext2 for data.img only

thanks
Old 03-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiad8 View Post
hi, nate

I know you are very busy. i apologise for that.

I have an important question.

data.img

1- when android is creating the data.img, you think is possible to let initrd.gz know, to add the data.img to an ext2 partition with 300mb. i want to keep the data.img in a ext2 partition by it self.

1- fat32 for all android stuff
2- ext2 for data.img only

thanks
Can actually already be done, I just did this yesterday. The init script is setup so that if you have 3 partitions, first is fat32 for SD card stuff and Haret, second is ext2 for system, and third is ext2 for data, it will automatically use it.

Order is set by the init file. In the current stock init file in the rootfs, there is an error, and the system partition is set as 3, and the data partition is set as 4, with nothing set to 2. You can create the partitions numbered that way using fdisk in Linux, or you can fix the init script.

My initial experimentation shows that this gets USB/SD card semi-working.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

tiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the communitytiad8 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post
Can actually already be done, I just did this yesterday. The init script is setup so that if you have 3 partitions, first is fat32 for SD card stuff and Haret, second is ext2 for system, and third is ext2 for data, it will automatically use it.

Order is set by the init file. In the current stock init file in the rootfs, there is an error, and the system partition is set as 3, and the data partition is set as 4, with nothing set to 2. You can create the partitions numbered that way using fdisk in Linux, or you can fix the init script.

thank you
Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko View Post

Test 1
I was able to add more mb to my data.img (500), when creating new data.img.

Test 2
I created a fat32(android stuff) and ext2 partition (data.img). But when creating the new data.img. the data.img is in the sd card not in the ext2.

I will play more with this tomorrow. But everything is working according plan.

Thanks

FROYO X RED, BLAZN 2.2.2, GINGERBREAD 2,3,2, SENSE FROYO 2.2/SPRINT TOUCH PRO 2/RHOD400

Last edited by tiad8; 03-10-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:12 AM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiad8 View Post
Test 1
I was able to add more mb to my data.img (500), when creating new data.img.

Test 2
I created a fat32(android stuff) and ext2 partition (data.img). But when creating the new data.img. the data.img is in the sd card not in the ext2.

I will play more with this tomorrow. But everything is working according plan.

Thanks

FROYO X RED, BLAZN 2.2.2, GINGERBREAD 2,3,2, SENSE FROYO 2.2/SPRINT TOUCH PRO 2/RHOD400
I think you are getting the terms mixed up. You can partition the SD card to have ext2 partitions which the init script is set up to recognize. If it finds the right partition layout, it will natively write to the sd card rather than creating a data.img.

If you don't partition the sd card and just leave it formatted as FAT32, the data.img by default is in ext2 as you can see from the code: init - eclair-rootfs in XDANDROID Eclair - Gitorious

If you want it to actually say data.ext2, you can just change the extension and update the if statement to check for data.ext2 instead of data.img, but it won't affect performance or change the way it works.

Thanks for bringing this thread back up too. I almost forgot to get it updated! Maybe I'll have some free time tomorrow when I get home from work

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2