PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] [GingerBread] CM7 from Neopeek!! **Dev Preview** Not Stable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
arrrghhh, if you put method #2 up again, I can try to mess with it to see if I can get it working.
That's the problem I can't get the system.ext2 file to boot. It keeps hanging on boot, and I don't get any adb. I hear neopeek changed a lot in the init, and I don't really know what I'm doing mucking around in there to be perfectly honest .
Old 04-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Boominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Boominsvx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndno View Post
arrrghhh, if you put method #2 up again, I can try to mess with it to see if I can get it working.

Sent from my FRX06-ized TP2
He hasn't put #2 up yet because it hasn't been done yet. Neopeek uses a Fat32 partition, an Ext2 partition and a Linux swap-file partition, while XDAndroid uses one Fat32 partition on the SD card. Apparently Neo made some changes and we don't have a system-ext2 of Cyanogenmmod7 yet, but if you'd like, The more people we have putting an effort toward this, the better. I keep ending up with corrupt SD cards from resets and init errors just using the partitioned card. I'd hate to be a noob on neopeek.

EDIT: Woops, sorry arrrghhh. 2 minutes to late.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:08 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint

xddy is a n00b

Does the 3.5mm jack work on CM7? I've been waiting for a long time......
Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by xddy View Post
Does the 3.5mm jack work on CM7? I've been waiting for a long time......
As have the rest of us RHOD400/500 users.

It's a kernel issue, not a build issue... so no, the 3.5mm jack does not work in CM7.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
That's the problem I can't get the system.ext2 file to boot. It keeps hanging on boot, and I don't get any adb. I hear neopeek changed a lot in the init, and I don't really know what I'm doing mucking around in there to be perfectly honest .
I just took a peek at this, and yes, it looks like he just merged initrd, rootfs, and system into one file. I haven't had WinMo on my phone for about 3 months now, but if we get LK stuff ironed out well and I have time, I will look into this.

For anyone who wants to try it on their own, there are two methods (starting with the easiest first):

Option 1 is to get your setup installed and running, then:
1. On first boot, use mke2fs to make a system.ext2 file on the FAT32 partition
2. Loop mount system.ext2 and copy all files from / to the ext2 file except init
3. Compress init and /bin into a new file named initrd.gz
4. Open initrd.gz and modify init to loop mount system.ext2 to /
5. Point startup.txt to use initrd.gz

Option 2 may be more difficult but will achieve a similar build to XDAndroid:
1. Create system.ext2 from the /system directory while maintaining the original permissions
2. Try using XDAndroid's initrd and rootfs and see if it works just from that. If not, move on.
3. Modify init to mount system.ext2 on /system
4. Copy the remaining contents into initrd.gz and point startup.txt to use that initrd.
5. Try booting, and if it doesn't work still, then something with his installer is doing something else additional that I'm not aware of, and you'll have to figure that out.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:58 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I just took a peek at this, and yes, it looks like he just merged initrd, rootfs, and system into one file. I haven't had WinMo on my phone for about 3 months now, but if we get LK stuff ironed out well and I have time, I will look into this.

For anyone who wants to try it on their own, there are two methods (starting with the easiest first):

Option 1 is to get your setup installed and running, then:
1. On first boot, use mke2fs to make a system.ext2 file on the FAT32 partition
2. Loop mount system.ext2 and copy all files from / to the ext2 file except init
3. Compress init and /bin into a new file named initrd.gz
4. Open initrd.gz and modify init to loop mount system.ext2 to /
5. Point startup.txt to use initrd.gz

Option 2 may be more difficult but will achieve a similar build to XDAndroid:
1. Create system.ext2 from the /system directory while maintaining the original permissions
2. Try using XDAndroid's initrd and rootfs and see if it works just from that. If not, move on.
3. Modify init to mount system.ext2 on /system
4. Copy the remaining contents into initrd.gz and point startup.txt to use that initrd.
5. Try booting, and if it doesn't work still, then something with his installer is doing something else additional that I'm not aware of, and you'll have to figure that out.
Thanks Nate. I will give your instructions a try. Now I gotta get it into a working native ext2 partition first before I can try your steps.

Great job with the NAND stuff by the way.

Last edited by ndno; 04-14-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 AM
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

arrrghhh, I finally got some time to try this out. I'm trying to set up the ext2 method but when I download the link you provided, it doesn't have the directory you mentioned or the MotherLoad tutorial mentions. The cm7*tar.gz file just looks like a tarred-up file of the final filesystem; it doesn't have the npkinstall folder, the AndroidApps folder, the kernel/modules, etc. I checked neopeek's original thread and the download link is for the same file.

I'm guessing I need to get the full bundle that has the full folder structure, including the npkinstall folder. I guess I would take the cm7-rc4-01042011.tar.gz file I downloaded from your post, rename it to androidinstall.tar.gz and replace the one in the npkinstall folder of that full bundle, correct? I see there's a CM6.1 bundle.

EDIT: OK, I got Cherry Pie to set up using an ext2 partition and it's running fine using the MotherLoad tutorial; I'll see if I can use the Cherry Pie bundle as a template and rename cm7-rc4-01042011.tar.gz to androidinstall.tar.gz and replace the one in the npkinstall folder of the Cherry Pie bundle and start the ext2 file system install process for CM7.

Last edited by ndno; 04-14-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Boominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on repBoominsvx is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Boominsvx

Yes, that's what I had to do as well. I used a GB build from Neopeek, tho it wasn't cherry pie. Just be sure that whatever you have in the npkinstall folder is the same zip format as what came there. I'm pretty sure both builds would be tar.gz. If npkinstall is looking for a .tar.gz, but only finds a .tar, it'll fail. I went through the init file and edited it by hand, but never sucessfully created a build to try it on.

I'm really glad to see more people getting involved with this build. I used it for a few hours, but they were a great few hours with all those customizations, and it booted/move beautifully. Froyo, Gingerbread, CM7. These should be the 3 basic builds of Android IMO.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Threadstarter

Glad it's getting more attention indeed!

Nate, I tried things similar to that but failed. I will try again, I didn't dig very deeply TBH - I mostly just tried making a system.ext2 file from the /system folder. It would always end up hanging right before there was a bootani (which I forgot to add... shouldn't have caused a non-boot condition tho I wouldn't think).

I admit, I haven't put a lot of time into this project lately. I'd like to give it the time it deserves, as CM7 is a great piece of work. I'll clean up the first post soon, thanks for pointing that out ndno and Boominsvx. I kinda just threw the file up there, with the hopes that making a looped build would be easy and I would just clean up the rest. I'm not that good yet tho .

We'll get it workin - Neopeek has some great things in store for CM7 Final, so I'm going to wait to clean up the first post for that. Plus, I need to take another crack at making a looped mount. Thanks guys!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:28 PM
VIP Member

OK, I got CM7 set up and booting up fine. Getting the annoying "com.Android.Phone" crashing window popping up every few seconds. Neopeek said this to fix it:

Quote:
Process "com.Android.Phone" is crashing and should be easily fixable by replacing phone app or logcating the error.
Boominsvx or arrrghhh, you guys know where can I find a phone app to replace it? How did you guys fix that issue? I searched his original thread and didn't see any resolution besides his comment above. Can't really do much with that popping up every few seconds after I close it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development