View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 02:58 AM
ndno
VIP Member

ndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIPndno is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [BUILD] [GingerBread] CM7 from Neopeek!! **Dev Preview** Not Stable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I just took a peek at this, and yes, it looks like he just merged initrd, rootfs, and system into one file. I haven't had WinMo on my phone for about 3 months now, but if we get LK stuff ironed out well and I have time, I will look into this.

For anyone who wants to try it on their own, there are two methods (starting with the easiest first):

Option 1 is to get your setup installed and running, then:
1. On first boot, use mke2fs to make a system.ext2 file on the FAT32 partition
2. Loop mount system.ext2 and copy all files from / to the ext2 file except init
3. Compress init and /bin into a new file named initrd.gz
4. Open initrd.gz and modify init to loop mount system.ext2 to /
5. Point startup.txt to use initrd.gz

Option 2 may be more difficult but will achieve a similar build to XDAndroid:
1. Create system.ext2 from the /system directory while maintaining the original permissions
2. Try using XDAndroid's initrd and rootfs and see if it works just from that. If not, move on.
3. Modify init to mount system.ext2 on /system
4. Copy the remaining contents into initrd.gz and point startup.txt to use that initrd.
5. Try booting, and if it doesn't work still, then something with his installer is doing something else additional that I'm not aware of, and you'll have to figure that out.
Thanks Nate. I will give your instructions a try. Now I gotta get it into a working native ext2 partition first before I can try your steps.

Great job with the NAND stuff by the way.

Last edited by ndno; 04-14-2011 at 03:20 AM.