PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: Sprint

pts69666 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: NAND Boot Testing - 01-07: Panel power on/off fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I've got about 12 different USB cables that I've tried, including the special ones with 2x USB to 1x mini-USB connector (for powering laptop drives that exceed 500ma). I have three original HTC cables that came with the phone (and two others at work that are the same). Sadly, none of them work.

Wish it were that simple. I've used canned air as well as a plastic brush we commonly use to clean the fans on servers. It looks perfectly clean in there, so my thought is it must be the connector to the board or something wrong with the bootloader itself. Sadly, I can't re-flash HSPL since I have no USB...
If you have insurance on the phone, flash to Task 29 off of the SD card and bring it in to Verizon and tell them you tried doing an update and for some reason it died. Since it doesn't boot up into Android anymore after the Task 29, they will see what they think is a bricked phone. They will probably try and flash it with the updater from HTC's website and when they fail, they will more than likely swap out your phone. I worked at a Sprint store and know how stupid most techs are when it comes to ROM's on the phones.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Flashaholic!
Pocket PC: Vogue->(TP2/Incredible 2/ThunderBolt)
Carrier: Verizon

Lmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I've got about 12 different USB cables that I've tried, including the special ones with 2x USB to 1x mini-USB connector (for powering laptop drives that exceed 500ma). I have three original HTC cables that came with the phone (and two others at work that are the same). Sadly, none of them work.

Wish it were that simple. I've used canned air as well as a plastic brush we commonly use to clean the fans on servers. It looks perfectly clean in there, so my thought is it must be the connector to the board or something wrong with the bootloader itself. Sadly, I can't re-flash HSPL since I have no USB...
Ok... Just checking, you never know.
It does sound like a hardware issue!
Sounds like it is time to take it apart and check the solder connections. I had to do that do my Vogue to fix the Speaker... It wasn't too bad at all. If you can't find a star bit just find a small enough standard that will fit.
Good luck! (If you want too that is!)
Old 02-01-2011, 01:45 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

android is messing with me..

ok so i did confirm we can write to nand.

Last edited by [ACL]; 02-01-2011 at 01:57 AM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:26 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
that sucks... I figured you would've tried that already. I'm assuming you don't carry insurance on the device...? Although, if it's flashed to Android, they probably won't be too happy if you take it in like that...

I'd say the only option there is to dunk it in water and hope they can't figure out what you did to it .
Nope, no insurance. I'm always going to unlock my phone and flash a custom ROM. Since I'm voiding my warranty right there, not much of a point in carrying insurance. Also, dunking it in water would be bad :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ACL] View Post
wow so this is possibly hardware issue. So what do you have in there now that boots ? if its android then when you plug usb in, dmesg shouldnt see any gpios trigger.

have you tried going back to oem winmo via sdcard and praying ?
It's probably hardware, but I'm still holding out hope that it's something in the SPL or firmware somewhere. I can still flash whatever I want off the SD card, so I've tried going to stock, and I can still flash Android. I just can't ADB or Haretconsole

I haven't tried a dmesg from within Android though. I may give that a try tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pts69666 View Post
If you have insurance on the phone, flash to Task 29 off of the SD card and bring it in to Verizon and tell them you tried doing an update and for some reason it died. Since it doesn't boot up into Android anymore after the Task 29, they will see what they think is a bricked phone. They will probably try and flash it with the updater from HTC's website and when they fail, they will more than likely swap out your phone. I worked at a Sprint store and know how stupid most techs are when it comes to ROM's on the phones.
Task 29 is a command issued by the EXE, not from a NBH. Also, I'm not down with deceiving people like that. I'd rather just go in, say look, I unlocked it, but the USB port stopped working due to something completely unrelated. If they say no, that's totally within their rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmiller1708 View Post
Ok... Just checking, you never know.
It does sound like a hardware issue!
Sounds like it is time to take it apart and check the solder connections. I had to do that do my Vogue to fix the Speaker... It wasn't too bad at all. If you can't find a star bit just find a small enough standard that will fit.
Good luck! (If you want too that is!)
If the dmesg idea from ACL doesn't work, I may have to take it apart. While I'm in there, I may try to figure out a way to JTAG so I can get serial console in. Been trying to find info on it unsuccessfully

Gonna wrap this up though. I know more than I should about electronics as circuitry, physics, and architecture were major parts of my Master's program. Unless someone knows how to issue commands from the phone in bootloader mode or something, I've tried it already ;P
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:

That's great news. My wife was sick today, so I didn't get to work on the tinboot stuff. Tomorrow should be a slow day, so hopefully I can get started on that
Old 02-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Flashaholic!

Lmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIPLmiller1708 is a VIP

Quote:

Great Job ACL!

What was going on with it?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Great Job ACL!

What was going on with it?
Tons of stuff. But actually i think i celebrated too early. I made a tarball of frx4 and wanted to untar it directly onto nand since i cant write the yaffs image straight. Not all the files were written so its still buggy.

This was found on the logs

[10128.513183] **>> yaffs chunk 16001 was not erased
[10128.513214] **>> yaffs write required 321 attempts

the hd2 guys recommended to upgrade yaffs to the latest code ... so there is still more work to be done. In the mean time i want to begin figuring out the initrd. also my android automount issue was caused by the init.rc files. I had to comment out the mount yaffs portions. I suppose if we write the rootfs onto nand then we can have android automount the rest.. not sure about all that yet.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Flashaholic!

Quote:
Tons of stuff. But actually i think i celebrated too early. I made a tarball of frx4 and wanted to untar it directly onto nand since i cant write the yaffs image straight. Not all the files were written so its still buggy.

This was found on the logs

[10128.513183] **>> yaffs chunk 16001 was not erased
[10128.513214] **>> yaffs write required 321 attempts

the hd2 guys recommended to upgrade yaffs to the latest code ... so there is still more work to be done. In the mean time i want to begin figuring out the initrd. also my android automount issue was caused by the init.rc files. I had to comment out the mount yaffs portions. I suppose if we write the rootfs onto nand then we can have android automount the rest.. not sure about all that yet.
That makes sense, did you have root_partition in your command line?

What files did I need to copy over for the drivers?
I'm not much of a C guy, so I'm not too sure whats going on...
Old 02-01-2011, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
That makes sense, did you have root_partition in your command line?

What files did I need to copy over for the drivers?
I'm not much of a C guy, so I'm not too sure whats going on...
Im going to break apart the commits. The hd2 nand driver is the first piece we need. the dependacies need to be fixed so it can compile. Rajko has a patch for mtd and yaffs that was also applied.

But now i need to patch yaffs so i would wait until tonight. I'm pretty sure im going to commit something :-p.. maybe the hd2 driver at least so you can see the partitions. the yaffs sounds like it might take a night or two.

edit: also if yall havent heard, cotulla is thinking of porting malgdr to tp2. With cotulla on our team, this phone will purr like wildebeast (i refuse to make my tp2 purr like a kitten..)

Last edited by [ACL]; 02-01-2011 at 11:47 AM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:
Im going to break apart the commits. The hd2 nand driver is the first piece we need. the dependacies need to be fixed so it can compile. Rajko has a patch for mtd and yaffs that was also applied.

But now i need to patch yaffs so i would wait until tonight. I'm pretty sure im going to commit something :-p.. maybe the hd2 driver at least so you can see the partitions. the yaffs sounds like it might take a night or two.

edit: also if yall havent heard, cotulla is thinking of porting malgdr to tp2. With cotulla on our team, this phone will purr like wildebeast (i refuse to make my tp2 purr like a kitten..)
Awesome news, can't wait to finally fully flash on Android.

With magldr, would it be possible to have both Android and WinMo in NAND at the same time with option to choose?

Also, I'm not sure wildebeest purr. Maybe mountain lions would be a manlier example of purring?
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2 > Android On TP2 Development