PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2 (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

ModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Bought My Epic... Here I come people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Buy off ebay then return the radioshack one? lol..I mean for 27$ I can prob buy a cable and get overnight shipping cheaper lol..Cables are one of the most rip offs there is..along side ink..(its cheaper to buy a new printer with ink then refills)

Anyways..have fun

LOL Can you link one that you know works.

Also I rooted the phone!

But now I have to transfer the rom to the sdcard. For that I connected the phone to the computer and turned on mass storage however my laptop needs drivers for it and I can't find them.

Is there another way to access the sdcard on the phone to transfer the files

Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

ModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on repModmyPPC is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I am running the swiss cheese rom

Thanks gten for all your help!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I usually buy my cables through meritline...

I see you got it figured out..but for future reference:

1) If you disable usb debug mode, you dont need drivers for mass storage

2) you can take out the sd card into an adapter and plug it into the laptop (90% of laptops have sd card adapters)..or use your TP2 if you still have one...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
I usually buy my cables through meritline...

I see you got it figured out..but for future reference:

1) If you disable usb debug mode, you dont need drivers for mass storage

2) you can take out the sd card into an adapter and plug it into the laptop (90% of laptops have sd card adapters)..or use your TP2 if you still have one...
1. Yeah I read that somewhere but in my device manager it still said unkown device. I unmounted and remounted it and it worked. When I went to gingerbread its giving me the same problem. I dont care right now I can always flash to stock.

2. My sdcard adapter on my laptop is broken.

-----------------------

things are starting to clear up but still have a few cob webs in there I used OneClickRootCWM3.0.2.5-EC05 flashed gingerbread and flashed the modem EE03

If I want to go to syndicate rom or any ext4 rom based phone I have to use OneClickRootCWM3-EB13 right (which can be found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=897612)?

CWM 3.0.2.5 is for RFS

& CWM 3.0.0.6 is for EXT4 right? But why root? CWM roots your phone and installs CWM on your phone at the same time right? Is there another CWM that works with EXT4?

Im on an EE03 Modem the thread says you should be on ECO5 The modem doesn't matter does it?

Odin is only used to flash modems because it needs to be a .tar file correct?

Last edited by ModmyPPC; 06-04-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModmyPPC View Post
1. Yeah I read that somewhere but in my device manager it still said unkown device. I unmounted and remounted it and it worked. When I went to gingerbread its giving me the same problem. I dont care right now I can always flash to stock.
yeah it happens..

Quote:
2. My sdcard adapter on my laptop is broken.
hmm..then I suggest you buy one off ebay/meritline for like 2$..it always comes in handy...

-----------------------
Quote:
things are starting to clear up but still have a few cob webs in there I used OneClickRootCWM3.0.2.5-EC05 flashed gingerbread and flashed the modem EE03
Ok..that one is for DUALFS..it works with both RFS and EXT4..

Quote:
If I want to go to syndicate rom or any ext4 rom based phone I have to use OneClickRootCWM3-EB13 right (which can be found here [MOD][One Click Root] Clockwork Mod version 3.0.0.5/6 - UPDATED FOR EB13! - xda-developers)?
you can do that..but it may be easier to just flash the ext4 conversion script as 3.0.2.5 supports both EXT4 and RFS...

Quote:
CWM 3.0.2.5 is for RFS
2.5.5 is for RFS..3.0.2.5 is both

Quote:
& CWM 3.0.0.6 is for EXT4 right?

yes that one is EXT4 only..it comes prebundled with EXT4 conversion

Quote:
Quote:
But why root? CWM roots your phone and installs CWM on your phone at the same time right?
You can have clockworkmod and root separately..its just that 99% of the users who want one usually want the other as well...so it comes bundled...

Quote:
Is there another CWM that works with EXT4?
all cwm 3.0s work with EXT4 on the epic...2.5.5 is the one thats RFS only..

Quote:
Im on an EE03 Modem the thread says you should be on ECO5 The modem doesn't matter does it?
Not really..

Quote:
Odin is only used to flash modems because it needs to be a .tar file correct?
Odin is the only one that can flash "unofficial" modems..BUT you can use odin to flash roms and kernels and etc...Odin is geenrally used to flash modems and return to stock...but its well capable of doing everything...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
you can do that..but it may be easier to just flash the ext4 conversion script as 3.0.2.5 supports both EXT4 and RFS...
So Instructions would be to change rfs to ext4 and flash new ext4 rom.

1. Boot into CWM 3.0.2.5
2. (do I have to wipe cache 3x?)
3. flash zip from sd card RFS2EXT4.zip (from here:Rfs2Ext4 and Ext42Rfs CWM 3.0.25 flashable zips - xda-developers)
4. if I flash the conversion script rfs2ext4 then I shouldn't reboot right because the swiss cheese rom is rfs? What will happen to my phone? Stuck in a boot loop or brick it?
5. (do I have to wipe cache 3x)
6. Flash New ext4 rom
7. Reboot from CWM
Should I at any point should do a factory reset from CWM? Should I do that when flashing between roms like we did in winmo?

Side note: What is the purpose of wiping data 3x? When should I do it flashing themes roms?

Whats the alternative to just flash the new ext4 rom? Odin to stock?

Whats stock is that rfs or ext4? and if gingerbread and the stock rom are both rfs why can't I just Go into CWM 3.0.2.5 do a factory reset and/or wipe data 3x and flash the new rom which is ext4?

Wont CWM convert the phone from rfs to ext4?

Quote:
Odin is the only one that can flash "unofficial" modems..BUT you can use odin to flash roms and kernels and etc...Odin is geenrally used to flash modems and return to stock...but its well capable of doing everything...
THe Odin im using ODIN V1.3 says pda then when you go to select a file it has to be a certain extension. It doesn't have the option for zip files.

I know it doesn't seem like it but Im making serious progress with android. Im not so intimidated anymore but progressed to cautious.

Thanks again!

Last edited by ModmyPPC; 06-06-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
So Instructions would be to change rfs to ext4 and flash new ext4 rom.

1. Boot into CWM 3.0.2.5
2. (do I have to wipe cache 3x?)
3. flash zip from sd card RFS2EXT4.zip (from here:Rfs2Ext4 and Ext42Rfs CWM 3.0.25 flashable zips - xda-developers)
4. if I flash the conversion script rfs2ext4 then I shouldn't reboot right because the swiss cheese rom is rfs? What will happen to my phone? Stuck in a boot loop or brick it?
5. (do I have to wipe cache 3x)
6. Flash New ext4 rom
7. Reboot from CWM
You wont brick your phone easily dont worry...if your flashing an ext4 rom that comes with a kernel, then yes just flash..if separately..flash kernel then flash rom.

Personally I dont really wipe 3x unless there is an issue..so dont worry about that too much..I think some roms even do the wiping for you..

Quote:
Should I at any point should do a factory reset from CWM? Should I do that when flashing between roms like we did in winmo?
Factory resets only come useful if when you restore your data and for some reason the restoring causes your phone to hiccup..otherwise you dont need to no..

Quote:
Side note: What is the purpose of wiping data 3x? When should I do it flashing themes roms?
Its a controversial topic..some do it, some dont..effectively there are times where cached objects can cause thigns to hiccup..like wifi tethering 3.0 for example..as for 3x well at one point clockworkmod was not able to properly wipe cache the first time..so it was required to do 3x..clockworkmod does not have much documentation unfortunately so not sure if that issue was fixed or not but many do it to be safe..

Quote:
Whats the alternative to just flash the new ext4 rom?
What do you mean?

Quote:
Odin to stock?

Whats stock is that rfs or ext4?
Stock is what is the default roms...odin can be used to flash custom roms too but people prefer to use clockworkmod as its more convenient as osin has that 0.0000000000000000001% chance to brick your phone..Clockworkmod is generally safer..and odin is there to back you up.. stock is RFS...

Quote:
and if gingerbread and the stock rom are both rfs why can't I just Go into CWM 3.0.2.5 do a factory reset and/or wipe data 3x and flash the new rom which is ext4?
because you need to convert the file system to ext4 first.. its not like the rom is ext4 as its "compatible" with ext4...

Quote:
Wont CWM convert the phone from rfs to ext4?
only if you flash the convert script or the ext4 only clockworkmod

Quote:
THe Odin im using ODIN V1.3 says pda then when you go to select a file it has to be a certain extension. It doesn't have the option for zip files.
odin only accepts tar files...

Quote:
I know it doesn't seem like it but Im making serious progress with android. Im not so intimidated anymore but progressed to cautious.

Thanks again!
As a wise man once said "whats the worst that can happen?" :P lol
Old 06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Quote:
You wont brick your phone easily dont worry...if your flashing an ext4 rom that comes with a kernel, then yes just flash..if separately..flash kernel then flash rom.
So if it comes with a kernal and im on a rfs rom then I can flash an ext4 rom and it will work?

Quote:
Quote:
Whats the alternative to just flash the new ext4 rom? Odin to stock?
What do you mean?
What I mean is, Is there an alternative to the steps I mentioned above from moving from RFS to EXT4?

Is there another way to jumping between rfs to ext4 without the conversion I posted in last post.

Btw are those steps correct?

Quote:
Quote:
and if gingerbread and the stock rom are both rfs why can't I just Go into CWM 3.0.2.5 do a factory reset and/or wipe data 3x and flash the new rom which is ext4?
because you need to convert the file system to ext4 first.. its not like the rom is ext4 as its "compatible" with ext4...

You said as long as the new rom has a kernal then its to ok to go from an rfs rom to a ext4 rom right?

An ext4 rom would have to have a kernal in it because stock is RFS so to flash the rom that rom would have to have that conversion built in wouldn't it?

Maybe ill just forget about it and flash the dam conversion and forget about it.

Thanks again, Im going to be so smart! haha [/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:

You said as long as the new rom has a kernal then its to ok to go from an rfs rom to a ext4 rom right?

An ext4 rom would have to have a kernal in it because stock is RFS so to flash the rom that rom would have to have that conversion built in wouldn't it?

Maybe ill just forget about it and flash the dam conversion and forget about it.

Thanks again, Im going to be so smart! haha
Ok..a file system controls the way that data is stored...RFS is a proporetory file system made by samsung for flash based media that comes by default in our devices..EXT4 is a popular file system for linux and is open source.

IF your familiar with PCs..the ONLY way to change file systems is to format your partition/hard drive.

So here is what the script does:

1) makes a backup of your data to sd card
2) formats your partition on your phone to EXT4 erasing ALL data on your phone.
3) restores your data onto the new EXT4 partition.

there is no way around it :/
Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

you guys really need to use bonsai unlocker.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/sprint-epi...g-rooting.html

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G