View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
gTen
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Bought My Epic... Here I come people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModmyPPC View Post
So Instructions would be to change rfs to ext4 and flash new ext4 rom.

1. Boot into CWM 3.0.2.5
2. (do I have to wipe cache 3x?)
3. flash zip from sd card RFS2EXT4.zip (from here:Rfs2Ext4 and Ext42Rfs CWM 3.0.25 flashable zips - xda-developers)
4. if I flash the conversion script rfs2ext4 then I shouldn't reboot right because the swiss cheese rom is rfs? What will happen to my phone? Stuck in a boot loop or brick it?
5. (do I have to wipe cache 3x)
6. Flash New ext4 rom
7. Reboot from CWM
You wont brick your phone easily dont worry...if your flashing an ext4 rom that comes with a kernel, then yes just flash..if separately..flash kernel then flash rom.

Personally I dont really wipe 3x unless there is an issue..so dont worry about that too much..I think some roms even do the wiping for you..

Quote:
Should I at any point should do a factory reset from CWM? Should I do that when flashing between roms like we did in winmo?
Factory resets only come useful if when you restore your data and for some reason the restoring causes your phone to hiccup..otherwise you dont need to no..

Quote:
Side note: What is the purpose of wiping data 3x? When should I do it flashing themes roms?
Its a controversial topic..some do it, some dont..effectively there are times where cached objects can cause thigns to hiccup..like wifi tethering 3.0 for example..as for 3x well at one point clockworkmod was not able to properly wipe cache the first time..so it was required to do 3x..clockworkmod does not have much documentation unfortunately so not sure if that issue was fixed or not but many do it to be safe..

Quote:
Whats the alternative to just flash the new ext4 rom?
What do you mean?

Quote:
Odin to stock?

Whats stock is that rfs or ext4?
Stock is what is the default roms...odin can be used to flash custom roms too but people prefer to use clockworkmod as its more convenient as osin has that 0.0000000000000000001% chance to brick your phone..Clockworkmod is generally safer..and odin is there to back you up.. stock is RFS...

Quote:
and if gingerbread and the stock rom are both rfs why can't I just Go into CWM 3.0.2.5 do a factory reset and/or wipe data 3x and flash the new rom which is ext4?
because you need to convert the file system to ext4 first.. its not like the rom is ext4 as its "compatible" with ext4...

Quote:
Wont CWM convert the phone from rfs to ext4?
only if you flash the convert script or the ext4 only clockworkmod

Quote:
THe Odin im using ODIN V1.3 says pda then when you go to select a file it has to be a certain extension. It doesn't have the option for zip files.
odin only accepts tar files...

Quote:
I know it doesn't seem like it but Im making serious progress with android. Im not so intimidated anymore but progressed to cautious.

Thanks again!
As a wise man once said "whats the worst that can happen?" :P lol

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.