PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint postpaid

daddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Battery Drain, and the culprit App IS.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpringz View Post
today was one of the worst battery days since i had the phone ... phone is 100% stock with the recent update. off the charger at 8:30am & by 3:30 i was at 34% & def didnt use it as much as i do with browsing & texting ... all looked normal on battery usage except phone calls was a whopping 47% of the battery life .. i dont even really use the phone like that & if i am on it the screen is off majority of the call .. what type of setting if any can be made to tone down that battery usage ? ive noticed phone calls generally uses a decent amount of life but i cant recall it being this much
Until we can get this narrowed down, I would seriously recommend Juice Defender and Ultimate Juice.

Both can be had from the market and I swear by it.

Hope this helps
Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

jdizzle is becoming a great contributor

OK...just wanted to let all you guys know that with Yahoo Fantasy Football app installed my phone's battery dropped about 20% overnight in comparison to 6% without.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

nrg8ball is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to nrg8ball
Re: Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

Had an Epic, Key word there HAD, Returned it yesterday, Battery sucked! 8 hours at best, even using app killer to squash the sprint app's, also, 4G coverage sucks in my town, other issues too, always dropping calls and losing signal, Back to My TP2 for now, I am going to wait and see on this one.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 CDMA

beejmeister is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymikey1975 View Post
I'm gonna look into this and test this theory..

FWIW since updating to the D107, which left my device unchanged, I now am at 0% Time without service. (While still running juice defender).. Before updating (while running or not running juice defender) I was at or above 50%..

Gonna get a full charge on this bad boy and disable juice defender again (now that I have D107).. If batt. life still sucks for me, then I'll try the root, lag fix, etc. that Chronster mentioned.

(Still testing heh..I'm not giving up till we figure it out or get froyo )
OK... Have searched and searched and have no idea what is referred to when Chronster says the "lag fix" and "terminal backup".... Where are these downloadable?
ROM: What day is it?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:47 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejmeister View Post
OK... Have searched and searched and have no idea what is referred to when Chronster says the "lag fix" and "terminal backup".... Where are these downloadable?
lagfix: [lag fix] working - xda-developers

I think the lagfix has something to do with how the OS accesses files and the filesystem.

Terminal backup can be found in the market place. Once rooted, you can go to the list of apps to backup, click once, and it gives you an uninstall option.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Instead of using the standard file system...Samsung decided to use their own..this in turn causes "issues" aka slowness with the I/O..the "lag fix" repartitions the most common areas into a more "friendly" partition allowing for faster I/O and device to do that 2000+ quadrant scores...

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Sprint postpaid

daddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardaddymikey1975 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Instead of using the standard file system...Samsung decided to use their own..this in turn causes "issues" aka slowness with the I/O..the "lag fix" repartitions the most common areas into a more "friendly" partition allowing for faster I/O and device to do that 2000+ quadrant scores...
Having it explained in this fashion makes more sense to me. I will definitely be doing the lag fix and rooting my phone this weekend..

Had my samsung moment rooted and it was pretty easy. This one seems straightforward as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:52 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Is it safe to say custom roms will be made entirely up of this different file system?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:58 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Is it safe to say custom roms will be made entirely up of this different file system?
It depends on the rom..there are different methods and partitions used to accomplish the same/similar goal. Usually if a rom has a fix such as a lag fix they will mention it in the title or sometimes in the body.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Wunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Wunder

Today I'm a very happy camper so I thought I'd report:

After a full Hard Reset I've been slowly adding apps for the test. I wasn't too optimistic to start because my screen would turn on mysteriously when the phone was bone stock (WiFi was activated as well as google sync)

Then last weekend everything has changed. Sunday I went to bed and realized I hadn't charged my phone all day, over 13 hours. Then yesterday I went to bed after 17 1/2 hours without a charge. FANTASTIC!

I'm syncing Google as items arrive, facebook and twitter every hour. Live Wallpaper (Galaxy). My TWS (Time Without Service) is at 2%. Screen accounting for about 25% of battery use. Both of these days I went without WiFi. I did use Bluetooth for a couple short drives and overall my use was heavy/moderate including 45 minutes or so of gaming (Gamelofts high rez 3d games Asphalt and Dungeon Hunter).

Did this OTA update + Hard Reset finally do the trick? I'm leaving WiFi off mostly and GPS (GPS is a funny thing, because if you turn on all the location stuff, the phone does a great job of finding your position without GPS when your searching the map, after turning GPS off I realized that I rarely use it so it's not a big deal to turn it on when necessary) Did I mention I haven't even reinstalled Juice Defender yet!?!

Looking forward to a third day without charging mid-way, wish me luck. Here are the apps I've installed so far:

DirecTV
DirecTV Sunday Ticket
Games: Armored Strike, Dungeon Hunter (Gameloft-High Rez 3d),
Google Voice
Google Maps Update
Google Goggles
PdaNet
Twitter
Yahoo Fantasy Football '10
Retro Camera

Next install will be DropBox....

Did I help? The is down to the right

Last edited by Wunder; 09-28-2010 at 10:35 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G