PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 PM
B5Z
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

B5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuffB5Z knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Official Samsung Battery Performance Talk

Just got the Epic on Thursday & so far I have found that the battery life drains really fast. Granted, I used the hell out of it the first few days so I didn't think much of it, however today I didn't use it too much & the battery is needing a charge after 8 hours of being on. Definately need an extra battery & will need to get an extra charger to keep at work.

I have noticed that you need to hit the 'Back' key rather than the 'Home' key to end opened programs (which has helped).

Aside from wishing the battery life was better, I'm lovin' the Epic!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

yesterday, my battery life was awesome. 8am to midnight.
Today, I took it off the charger at 7am and by 9am, it's at 75%.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Threadstarter

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Yo Coz how many/what type of APPS do you have installed? Do you sync gmail/facebook/twitter/exchange?
All of the apps that require a data connection (facebook, email, etc.) I have set to manual. App wise I've downloaded the usual stuff, nothing too exotic and nothing that routinely uses data.

I make sure to turn off wi-fi when I leave the house (no wi-fi at work so I don't turn it back on til I get home). Screen is dimmed and apps are killed.

I'm using the stock task killer. No live wallpapers.

I do have Background Data and Auto-sync both checked though.

I have pretty good 3G coverage around town so the phone isn't too strained seeking out a signal.

late,
Coz
Old 09-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

Wunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regularWunder is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Skype™ to Wunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
All of the apps that require a data connection (facebook, email, etc.) I have set to manual. App wise I've downloaded the usual stuff, nothing too exotic and nothing that routinely uses data.

I make sure to turn off wi-fi when I leave the house (no wi-fi at work so I don't turn it back on til I get home). Screen is dimmed and apps are killed.

I'm using the stock task killer. No live wallpapers.

I do have Background Data and Auto-sync both checked though.

I have pretty good 3G coverage around town so the phone isn't too strained seeking out a signal.

late,
Coz
Hmm sounds pretty judicious. I'm excited for the day that I can use a super-phone the way it's meant to be used and actually have it last a day.

Did I help? The is down to the right

Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 AM
nous défions
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S III

Johnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIPJohnny.Bravo is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Hmm sounds pretty judicious. I'm excited for the day that I can use a super-phone the way it's meant to be used and actually have it last a day.
I agree. I know there were some custom ROMS out there for the TP2 specifically aimed at improving battery life. I'd like to see something like that for the Epic.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: touch pro2

revaaron is keeping up the good workrevaaron is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by revaaron View Post
yesterday, my battery life was awesome. 8am to midnight.
Today, I took it off the charger at 7am and by 9am, it's at 75%.
I charged it a few times during the day, but it turned off cause of low battery around 10pm.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic, formerly HTC Touch Pro

mi7chy is a n00b

I recall my HTC Touch Pro's battery performance improved over time after several full discharge and full recharge cycles. So, armed with two batteries, which makes it easier to do, I had one on the charger while I completely discharge the one in use. One thing of note is that I can continue to browse the internet on 3G for an additional ~20 minutes or so once the battery drops to zero and blinks. That seems forever coming from other phones that shut off immediately or shortly after hitting zero. Anyhow, after the first full discharge and full recharge I'm at 1 day 0h 30m since unplugged with light use including browsing on 3G and the battery has only dropped to about 80-90%. Too soon to come to any conclusion but it's a noticeable improvement over initial experience where I could literally see the battery keep dropping while in use.

Last edited by mi7chy; 09-09-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc titan/mogul

skidrain41 is a n00b

I know I'm in the super small minority here, but I'm 49 hrs since unplugged and still have about 30% battery left. Admittedly it has seen unusually light usage, but I've talked on the phone about an hour during that time, checked my email a couple of times and downloaded and used a couple of apps. I'm running ATK and have everything set to sync once a day. I leave BT and GPS off unless I'm using them as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Phen0m is becoming a great contributor
My thoughts on the battery life..

Firstly, I think the Epic is suffering similar issues as the EVO did initially, where the radios aren't tweaked well enough, and are actually running alongside one another.
At times on my phone, Ive gotten the 3G icon and 4G icon's running concurrently, this seems to absolutely destroy our phones..even in sleep or standby mode.

I spent yesterday breaking down the phone, playing with different settings and what not..

This is my usage from lastnight, till this morn:

As of 11am, Im just down to 66% Battery..

Imo, its the background sync(accounts/sync), combined with the terrible 4G and 3G radio's, that are killing our batteries.
Ive disabled 4G, enabled 3G with SwitchPro widget, and disabled the background tasks.. and I get a 1% drain over 2 hours off the charger.. I haven't charged it yet, but i would surmise the charge rate would improve as well.. as its no longer fighting to swim upstream.

This isnt a solution of any sort.. just an observation.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

dumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardumpringz is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epic : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; SPH-D700 Build/ECLAIR) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

i get excellent battery life even if i leave gps on all day & with normal usage which is alot considering i cant stop tinkering ... im not always in the best signal area either .. could it be possible an app of sum sort drains the battery down & its just not shown ?

Last edited by dumpringz; 09-09-2010 at 12:04 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Samsung Devices > Samsung Galaxy Series > CDMA-Specific > Sprint Epic 4G