PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks > Pocket PC Themes
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S ll, Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

tsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to tsowen Send a message via MSN to tsowen Send a message via Skype™ to tsowen
Re: Custom Taskbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayonesa View Post
someone always has to come with this kind of response....

i know, i just dont like or better yet havent dont any edits. it would be easier just do deal with cabs if i can help it and someone doesnt mind taking 2 minutes of his/her life to help someone out...

no biggie if someone can help me out. would be nice tho

I love this quote at XDA and I consider this a Developer site as well and I think the same spirit should apply here at PPCGeeks as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyphur
I think what a lot of people forget is that this is not a "make my phone neat & kewl" place.

As implied by the name this is technically a Developers forum/community.

Now what does that mean? Well first off it means that there is an expectation that if you are here then you want to customize your device but rather than just installing something that someone packaged you want to understand how it works and maybe even enhance it yourself.

When I first came here with a Blue Angel it was a different environment. PDA Phones were not embraced by the general public because of the expense and complexity (I paid over $400 for my BA). A $400 phone 4 years ago was expensive, today the Tilt is $300 after rebates but with inflation & the rise in the cost of other devices and the fact that there are other sources out there giving them away for $150 our neat bit of kit has become popular with mainstream users.

Now we have a flood of new users who are asking not "How can I do this myself" but more like "Give me the quick fix" without caring to understand the process. See if you read the threads then you get to experience the learning process, you see how the issues were investigated and confirmed. Then you get to watch the different attempts at resolution and learn why some failed while others worked. That is called Development.

The NooB backlash is coming from users who have walked in the development shoes and is directed mainly at those who don't care for the journey but just want the end result or destination.

As a Development Forum we are just as much (if not more) about the journey. I've read so many comments like "I don't have time to read all of the threads" or "I don't care how it works, just that it does". These very statements are contrary to the heart & soul of XDA-Devs and that is why the backlash is so strong.

Let me be very clear on this: IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

XDA-Devs is about developers & hackers helping each other and working together to get the most out of our devices by understanding them better than most.

XDA-Devs is not about helping everyone who wants a "Kewl bit of kit" make their phone better than the guy next to him.

Now do we go kicking users off who never contribute anything, NO. We tolerate it to an extent. Where the toleration ends is when these users start diluting the usefulness of the forum by repeating the same questions over and over again.

You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.

Now with that being said "We" have taken a lot of time to provide purpose, motivation and direction here meaning the knowledge on how to do some of these minor changes on your own. I don't mind answering questions, helping you out when you have tried and failed but somewhere a little line has to be drawn and you have to help yourself a little first. I (we) have taken way more than two minutes of our life for free to help out as much as possible. So please try to understand where we are coming from and why the first post even exist at all. This thread was never intended for hurry up and give me my fix. It was also designed for education on how the process works. I am not saying I will not help people out but it would be nice if some would try first.
This post has been thanked 10 times.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Epic

nursemm05 knows their stuffnursemm05 knows their stuffnursemm05 knows their stuffnursemm05 knows their stuffnursemm05 knows their stuffnursemm05 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsowen View Post
Now with that being said "We" have taken a lot of time to provide purpose, motivation and direction here meaning the knowledge on how to do some of these minor changes on your own. I don't mind answering questions, helping you out when you have tried and failed but somewhere a little line has to be drawn and you have to help yourself a little first. I (we) have taken way more than two minutes of our life for free to help out as much as possible. So please try to understand where we are coming from and why the first post even exist at all. This thread was never intended for hurry up and give me my fix. It was also designed for education on how the process works. I am not saying I will not help people out but it would be nice if some would try first.
I am not part of the "WE" you mention but I feel a little vindicated by you posting this since I was recently accused of being harsh by telling folks to READ the first post/page as most everything can be answered there. Most of the issues people have can be solved by simply READING the first page instead of going to the last page and posting a question that has usually been answered time and time again.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

opuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
is there anyone that can cab up a diff orb? and something that can change the word start to something else?

Love the new taskbar btw!!! thanks guys!!!!
Quote:
someone always has to come with this kind of response....

i know, i just dont like or better yet havent dont any edits. it would be easier just do deal with cabs if i can help it and someone doesnt mind taking 2 minutes of his/her life to help someone out...

no biggie if someone can help me out. would be nice tho
You haven't even tried yourself and then get defensive when someone suggests you do.

This is the reason I quit posting any of my personal mods. It is always gimme, gimme but never I tried and this is where my problem is.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker

opuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularopuscroakus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadiaaa View Post
And I'm a noob, can you explain CDMA to me??
Easiest way to think of it is..

CDMA = Most of North America
GSM = Most everywhere else
Old 03-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero & EVO 4G

stylz3 is keeping up the good workstylz3 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylz3 View Post
Could anyone tell which files are for the windows pinwheel/loading Icon. I want to install the .dlls separately so I could maintain the windows 6.5 loading icon.
Quote:
somebody please!!!
Still Searching. Could use the support. Hello anyone!!!

"My next move be my best move"
Old 03-27-2009, 02:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Be patient and give it some time....it hasn't been that long since you posted the last time.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
What did you say?
Pocket PC: Rhodium

Mayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on repMayonesa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

great now i like like a tool ... good stuff look guys, i didnt mean to come across as a " gimme gimme " type of person. sorry about that

i know what this site is all about and i do thank everyone that works hard for these great apps we use on our phones every day. i also understand that its hard to fill every bodies request when a lot of the info is always posted in the 1st post.

but in my case ( and im sure in the case of most people that ask for help), i just dont feel comfortable with edits. im worried i will mess something up or replace something im not suppose to deal with. i have never done any kind of edit before, so i ask for a cab ( if someone can help) so i can limit what can go wrong... if possible

a lot of people come to these threads and a lot of people can make cabs and help those of us that are not as " gifted" or have the know how to do some of these things. we are all noobs at one point and this is my noobness lol... i know i try to help with anything anyone may need when i can, if i could make cabs i would be more than happy to do so... i enjoy helping others

and about the read the 1st post thing.... i have been a member of a car forums for a long time and it always got me when people just said " read the 1st post" or " repost". i know it can get old and i know some people can ask for help without looking for it. but before you jump at someone and offer no help.... try to be more helpfull and ask them if they have looked at the 1st post or if they need help with the steps. if you dont know the full reason on why someone is asking for help, then be a little more easy.

anyways thats just me tho

forget this, lets not mess this great topic.... pm me if you guys want to say anything...

oh.... would this new taskbar prevent changes from going on? like adding new apps? the only 2 things i have done to my phone is a new flash and the new taskbar. i know when i installed the new taskbar my tp2 start menu went to the old one. since then i have tried to add a tp2 theme and the incall phone tweak and they dont work... the new taskbar works great but nothing after that...

no clue

Old 03-27-2009, 02:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Thetaman is becoming a PPCGeeks regularThetaman is becoming a PPCGeeks regularThetaman is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Still Searching. Could use the support. Hello anyone!!!
I have never seen that hack/modification here on ppcgeeks, however I do believe I came across it on xda. I didn't make the mod because I think it changed something else on my phone that I didn't want changed.

I am guessing the reason no one has answered your question is that no one currently has a solution for you....that's just a guess.

My suggestion is go search xda as you may find your answer over there. Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

Thetaman is becoming a PPCGeeks regularThetaman is becoming a PPCGeeks regularThetaman is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Mayonesa, you have to read and read and read more. I wasn't comfortable making edits at first either, it probably took me months before I did. It was 6 months before I flashed a ROM. Now, I wonder why I waited so long....because people are nervous about messing up expensive phones. But after a while I got tired of being restricted to what was provided in cabs and I hated asking for things. Once you make that first edit, you will gain confidence with each edit. You just have to take the time to read and understand what is being done.

Just my 2 cents...I won't say anymore.

Other than great job tsowen and other developers!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Misfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on repMisfortune is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post
Easiest way to think of it is..

CDMA = Most of North America
GSM = Most everywhere else

Or..

If you have a sim card-GSM
If you dont have a sim card-CDMA

If you are a fan of my work, please feel free to .

Misfortune Taskbar v2.0

Misfortune Taskbar v1.0

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Mobile Hacks/Tweaks > Pocket PC Themes