PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: At&t Tilt 2 (Touch Pro 2)
Carrier: At&t

lordvader is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC leo or Touch Pro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by syanni85 View Post
I've known about the TG01 but i'm talkin about being released here in the US. You see alot of phones come out but take atleast 6 months to reach the states.

On the Android part. I'm taking programming classes right now, and maybe i will learn to appreciate the OS more (not like i don't now tho), after I can get deeper into it. As of now tho, I kinda got bored of how simple the UI is... Simple, productive and easy to use? Sure! No bashing there.

The concept of "widgets" have been around for a while now with phones. WebOS open the doors to more creative thinking. They took what they saw in our own winmo "visual task switcher" and the Xperia X1 "Panels"(which IMO doooggged the phone down bad), implemented a similar idea with their "Cards" and hit the ground running.

Why do I have a feeling that Sense UI will become standard for all HTC-Manufactured Android phones? Atleast until something better comes along... And didn't I read somewhere that its called "HTC Sense UI" and not "Android Sense UI"

its windows mobile, but the capacitive touch screen would really help in porting over Android

No way will you see anything in Oct. If that phone even gets released in the US it will be Spring/Summer 2010... and thats assuming that a company doesn't come out with something RIDICULOUS by then and just take it outta the ball game...

As my Brothaman Jethro_Static would say:

"The Revolution is Coming! And we are standing right in the middle of it all!"

Now I have a Feeling we will have this in Hand this year
Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G
Carrier: Sprint

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
I gotta say thou. That gigantic screen will destroy every phone in it's path. Not to mention the 1Ghz snapdragon monstrosity. With This UI Added, OMFG! It's all over folks. It's all over!

its all over? When a new phone comes out, all we rave about is its cosmetics... i'm prepared to witness the leo have poor battery life, regardless of what anyone says about the form factor and snapdragon processor...

from my understanding, it is the Tegra 650 by NVIDIA that will be the game changer in battery life/performance...

Just mark my words: The HUUUUGE SCREEN, AND because its capacitive (new to winmo) will have its quirks. IMHO that quirk is gunna put the battery life in jeopardy.

Like i said, i don't care what they say... for example, the iphone 3GS was suppose to have 12hrs of talk time and 6 MORE hrs of music and 3 MORE hrs of video??? HAHAHAHA in reality its not much better than the 3G in battery performance...

my $0.02

If I helped ya or If you like my work, I don't want donations, I don't want coffee, but a simple THANKS
would do the trick!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Quote:
Originally Posted by syanni85 View Post
its all over? When a new phone comes out, all we rave about is its cosmetics... i'm prepared to witness the leo have poor battery life, regardless of what anyone says about the form factor and snapdragon processor...

from my understanding, it is the Tegra 650 by NVIDIA that will be the game changer in battery life/performance...

Just mark my words: The HUUUUGE SCREEN, AND because its capacitive (new to winmo) will have its quirks. IMHO that quirk is gunna put the battery life in jeopardy.

Like i said, i don't care what they say... for example, the iphone 3GS was suppose to have 12hrs of talk time and 6 MORE hrs of music and 3 MORE hrs of video??? HAHAHAHA in reality its not much better than the 3G in battery performance...

my $0.02
The snapdragon supposed to optimize power consumption. That is prolly why snapdragons R the choice of big screen phones i.e TG01. It's not supposed to be better than Tegra in battery performance. According to papers thou.

C'mon brotherman! U know I'm a sucker for everything big. If U know what I mean.LOL

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835
Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
╚════════════════╝

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Now look at this. It came from alibaba's site. It's a WM mobile phone sporting a crazy, ridiculous WVGA 5" screen! It's called smartbook U1000. It will only be released in china. It is not a high end phone. matter of fact, it won't have 3G. Well china does not have a wide support for 3G yet. a Wifi, a 3Mpix Camera, 128MB of RAM and 256MB of flash ROM as well as a PXA300 CPU at 624MHz. The battery life is a whopping 2hrs! yes U heard it right. 2 hrs. LMAO!. I wont mind playing with thou. if i can get it for around 2 bills. I'll be all over it. Basically I'll be just doing things we do on a WM but in a "BIG" way. LOL

Edit: Images removed.

Last edited by jethro_static; 09-18-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

What are the benchmarks for Snap Dragon? That 1ghz clock speed is impressive, however I know from the P4 and AMD Athlon chip race, that clock speed isn't everything.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM
╚════════════════╝

How about a gigantic 4.3" screen in Android flavor? Anyone? Ohhh I'ts just gonna be exciting from here. Tegra is MIA still. I hope they have something good cooking. Or else just stay MIA.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:23 AM
╚════════════════╝

OK. I always say that Android OS is just "open source" in theory. This is a good example of that. Cyanogen is a talented hacker/developer of Android custom ROM. He apparently received a cease and desist letter from from Google asking him to stop distributing google closed source apps like Market, Talk, Gmail, YouTube, etc. What kinda open source is that? Like I said before, Google will be and always be in control of Android.
Distributing closed apps? WTF is that? we do that all the time in WM. WM is a closed platform and we have more freedom than Android? GTF outta here.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Almost a VIP

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Quote:
OK. I always say that Android OS is just "open source" in theory. This is a good example of that. Cyanogen is a talented hacker/developer of Android custom ROM. He apparently received a cease and desist letter from from Google asking him to stop distributing google closed source apps like Market, Talk, Gmail, YouTube, etc. What kinda open source is that? Like I said before, Google will be and always be in control of Android.
Distributing closed apps? WTF is that? we do that all the time in WM. WM is a closed platform and we have more freedom than Android? GTF outta here.
You are talking about Apps, not the OS. There is no theory on Android being Open Source. You can pull up the source code right now, modify it, and redistribute it.

The apps on the other hand are not open source, they are proprietary google apps, and obviously they want to control who can, and how they are distributed.

Last edited by SporkLover; 09-25-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:42 PM
╚════════════════╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
You are talking about Apps, not the OS. There is no theory on Android being Open Source. You can pull up the source code right now, modify it, and redistribute it.

The apps on the other hand are not open source, they are proprietary google apps, and obviously they want to control who can, and how they are distributed.
Yeah, That is what Google is saying because Thay don't have nothing on the OS to charge cyanogen. If the issue is just the Apps, Then cyanogen will just say ok. Done. But if U see his post, CyanogenMod might be dead. Meaning he might stop developing the OS.

Like I said, WM Cusrom ROM's are done the same way. Any chef will put any Apps on they're ROM. Even proprietary Closed source Google Apps including Google maps, Youtube etc. Chefs sometimes ask users what do they want. So how come there is not the same freedom with Android?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Almost a VIP

Quote:
Yeah, That is what Google is saying because Thay don't have nothing on the OS to charge cyanogen. If the issue is just the Apps, Then cyanogen will just say ok. Done. But if U see his post, CyanogenMod might be dead. Meaning he might stop developing the OS.

Like I said, WM Cusrom ROM's are done the same way. Any chef will put any Apps on they're ROM. Even proprietary Closed source Google Apps including Google maps, Youtube etc. Chefs sometimes ask users what do they want. So how come there is not the same freedom with Android?
Google controls the way those apps are distributed. They aren't even on the Android market. Not like windows mobile.

Cyanogen may be dead, because if he is not allowed to distribute those apps, then his modifications to Android are all for naught, because those Google apps have no viable alternatives yet. Cyanogen could continue to release his mods, just cutting out the pieces Google doesn't want him to distribute.

Disappointing on Google's part. Hopefully something will be worked out. 1. They put those apps in the Market, 2. They allow Cyanogen to distribute them.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison