PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Jealous of iPhone games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
i think its silly to compare the two devices. they are made for completely different markets. windows media devices have always been advertised towards the productivity section of the market, whereas the iphone is more directed at hipsters and people who just want to be entertained by something. there's a severe difference between the two devices, and how they are intended to be used. if you want something to play games, get a psp. if you want a phone that can double as a pda, get a diamond/pro. if you want an ipod, get an ipod. there is no device that will do everything, at least not yet. you will still need multiple devices to have the best of all worlds.
You have to be kidding right? The WMO devices are basically aimed at people who want to actually do something (productivity) and the iphone is aimed at people who don't what to do anything but entertainment??

I appreciate being "rah rah" for the PPC but this post can't be serious. If I wasn't a WMO user myself and an avid PPGgeek, I'd have trouble taking this forum seriously.

Generalizations like this are simple ridiculous. I know it's hard for some PPCgeeks to realize this but the iphone is actually a good device that is actually useful for stuff besides entertainment. I just don't understand why PPCgeeks alsways have something against the iphone and can't admit it's actually a cool device. YES there are differences but it's not simply aimed at "hipsters who only want to be entertained."

But keeping on the thread topic, I definitely have iphone-game envy. All those previous posts of WMO games is nice but in reality it does pale in comparison.... It's really all about user base and distribution.

The iphone has a huge user base and a "model" distribution base (the Apple APP store) for developers. Of course there are other factors but that is just really the reality of it.

Last edited by x10guy; 01-02-2009 at 01:52 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 AM
THE HENCHMAN
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Diamond & Verizon Blackberry Storm!
Carrier: Sprint w/ SERO!

stevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to stevedog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
iphone is actually a good device that is actually useful for stuff besides entertainment.
Are you kidding all of us?

Aside from email, and internet (which a standard phone is capable of). Stuff like what exactly? and yes. It is marketed as an entertainment device. Hence all the video game and entertainment app commercials we all see all the time.

Edit: To answer the OP's question, there is some Diamond/PRO specific games in Jethro's thread here: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38749

Enjoy!

Last edited by stevedog1; 01-02-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

i dunno.. i use my touch pro as a wifi router, for my laptop.. ummm, i write excel documents for half the day on it instead of dragging my laptop with me wherever i go. i remote administer my work pc for a good part of the day.. i plot out my day through tomtom7 if i have a lot of places to be.. i copy and paste like a motherf*cker lol.. one of my jobs, i edit a car dealership's website twice a week when they get shipments. i take the pics on my dslr with a minisd card, pop it in my phone, upload them to their site and config the pages with the appropriate model info... can you do all of that on an iphone? any of it? just curious about how productive the godphone is. people treat the iphone like the media treats obama.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

Cythrelo is just getting started

I see no reason why a phone meant for productivity can't also be used for entertainment (see: CorePlayer, the games that ARE out for Windows Mobile, and even the camera built into most PPC devices these days). I also don't see why a phone meant for entertainment can't also be used for productivity.

The iPhone and Windows Mobile devices are both the same basic thing: a pocket-sized computer with a phone built in. Their capabilities are currently different, but that doesn't mean that they won't, can't or shouldn't overlap. The iPhone should mature into a device with capabilities similar to PPC devices, and PPC devices/Windows Mobile should mature into something with capabilities similar to the iPhone.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

jimd144 is keeping up the good workjimd144 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedog1 View Post
Are you kidding all of us?

Aside from email, and internet (which a standard phone is capable of). Stuff like what exactly? and yes. It is marketed as an entertainment device. Hence all the video game and entertainment app commercials we all see all the time.
Gee, I don't know. How about?
Medical applications (Rx, Diagostics, Pocket PDR),
pilot applications (planning, weather, etc) ,
Microsoft Outlook (push email and calender) ,
vpn, remote desktop (connect to office computer),
Stock watching.
For marketing, where all the money is made in the world, there is no better phone than the iPhone, not only for what it does, but for what it says to customers.

The iPhone doesn't turn into the "burn to the Touch Pro" when used for a few hours.

The ipod factor is awesome! High quality music, maybe not for business, but certainly for the gym during the out of town gigs.

Tethering is expected this quarter or so. So what, you can cheat a cell company with your Touch Pro. Real men don't steal.

No "business applications?" Dream on! Keep making those iPhone skins, and work to get Android ported. Maybe you will finally get the clone of the real thing.

Last edited by jimd144; 01-02-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g/HTC TP 2

navymarvin is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to navymarvin

i think what they mean is accelerometer games.[

quote=k_semler;611606]On my phone I have the following games installed: Pocket Doom Pocket Duke Nukem 3D Pocket Wolfenstien 3D Pocket Quake Pocket Spear of Destiny Solitare Free Cell Pocket Sudoku Kevtris Par 72 Golf II Pac-Man There are many games out there for WM. Here's a few places to get you started:

http://www.pocketpcfreeware.com/en/index.php
http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/
http://www.ppc4all.com/
http://www.wm6software.net/
http://catserveronline.net/armor/files_mobile
http://www.1800pocketpc.com/

Basically, if there's something you want to do on a regular computer, you can probably find something equivilant to do whatever you so desire on Windows Mobile. (streaming media, play games, run a web server, remote access via VNC, FTP transfer, file compression, network penetration testing, VoIP, etc). A Windows Mobile device isn't just a telephone, it is a ultra-portable computer that also has the feature of being able to make telephone calls. If you want to do something with your telephone, there almost certianly exists software, (and most of it for free), that can do exactly what you want.

I have over 300MB of installed software on my PocketPC, and I have only paid for 3 programs. (Pocket Tunes, Par 72 Golf II, MobiTV). For instance, even if you want to watch streaming live TV, you don't necessarily need to buy MobiTV. You can use TVU Player Portable. It's a little slow, and has severe lag, but it is free, (and has a couple hundred channels available for steaming). As I said, a Windows Mobile device is more of a computer then it is a telephone. Today's technology which fits in your pocket and will handle pretty much anything you throw at it, leaves the average 2001 desktop computer in the dust. (if you put in a 32GB microSD card)[/quote]
Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 PM
THE HENCHMAN
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Diamond & Verizon Blackberry Storm!
Carrier: Sprint w/ SERO!

stevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIPstevedog1 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to stevedog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd144 View Post
Gee, I don't know. How about?
Medical applications (Rx, Diagostics, Pocket PDR),
pilot applications (planning, weather, etc) ,
Microsoft Outlook (push email and calender) ,
vpn, remote desktop (connect to office computer),
Stock watching.
You can do most of those on any of today's non-ppc/smartphone devices. Stock watching? Really? Wow. I was doing that on my motorola startac in 1998.

Quote:
For marketing, where all the money is made in the world, there is no better phone than the iPhone, not only for what it does, but for what it says to customers.
Not for what it does? You just said it was a productivity device.

What exactly does it say to customers? Something like, "I don't know how to use a PPC, and I think the Iphone is cool" or "lookie here at my Crash Bandicot game" ?

Quote:
The iPhone doesn't turn into the "burn to the Touch Pro" when used for a few hours.
Good one, but Thats not what we're discussing here.

Quote:
The ipod factor is awesome! High quality music
No one argued that it wasn't awesome for music. Moot point.

Quote:
Tethering is expected this quarter or so. So what, you can cheat a cell company with your Touch Pro. Real men don't steal.
Tethering has been a capability since the first smartphone device. The point is that you could Tether it, not whether you can tether for free. Stealing it or not, you couldn't even pay for it if you wanted to on an Iphone.

So, another MOOT point.

Quote:
No "business applications?" Dream on!
Trust me. Many "business" Iphone users are dreaming and hoping that one day.....(dream starts here)...

Quote:
Keep making those iPhone skins, and work to get Android ported. Maybe you will finally get the clone of the real thing.
Um...Iphone skins? Hmm...maybe a year ago it was interesting, a fun and different thing to do. THAT WAS A YEAR AGO. I don't see any Iphone Skin threads swarming the Diamond/Pro forums. or anyone even wanting to rock one. Do you?

They have been actually very successful in getting Android to work on WMobile device. And they have done this prior to the G1 even being thought of over a year ago. The Android project is old news, where have you been??

No one here wants a clone. If we wanted one we could of bought a couple Iphone's with what we paid for our Diamonds/Pro with enough left over to go to dinner.

We do it because we can. Our phone's are customizable like that.

As a matter of fact our phones are so versatile, that I can confidently say that there is almost nothing you can do on a pc/mac that you can't do with our Diamond/Pro.

You can't even come close to saying that when referring to an Iphone.

/end rant
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I never said that the iphone and WMO devices are NOT different. THey are totally different with both having their advantages and disadvantages. But to generalize and simply call the iphone a device aimed strictly at hipsters that only want to be entertained is just silly.

I NEVER said it was more productive than the WMO devices nor did I try to compare them.... like everyone else is doing.
REPEAT... I NEVER said it was better that this or better than that....
SO stop comparing them and trying to argue that one is better than the other.

I just said that it is silly to say the iphone is only aimed at hipsters that want to be entertained.

But that being said, it does indeed have great games too.... (I'm just waiting for the day for some of them to be ported over)

Last edited by x10guy; 01-02-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

On a side note, it is funny how the word "iphone" triggers such a reaction on this board.... once it is mentioned there is usually a swift and decisive run of posts saying how horrible the iphone is. Is it wrong to say the iphone is a good device?

(If you wander over to the iphone forums you just don't get the same reaction when you mention WMO devices.)
Old 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP 2

oAsIz is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
You have to be kidding right? The WMO devices are basically aimed at people who want to actually do something (productivity) and the iphone is aimed at people who don't what to do anything but entertainment??

I appreciate being "rah rah" for the PPC but this post can't be serious. If I wasn't a WMO user myself and an avid PPGgeek, I'd have trouble taking this forum seriously.

Generalizations like this are simple ridiculous. I know it's hard for some PPCgeeks to realize this but the iphone is actually a good device that is actually useful for stuff besides entertainment. I just don't understand why PPCgeeks alsways have something against the iphone and can't admit it's actually a cool device. YES there are differences but it's not simply aimed at "hipsters who only want to be entertained."

But keeping on the thread topic, I definitely have iphone-game envy. All those previous posts of WMO games is nice but in reality it does pale in comparison.... It's really all about user base and distribution.

The iphone has a huge user base and a "model" distribution base (the Apple APP store) for developers. Of course there are other factors but that is just really the reality of it.
I know this is off thread topic but I had to put my 2 cents in as well. I have an iphone. I cancelled my contract because i was tired of paying for unlimited data that was not 3 g and only 450 minutes for almost what i would be paying for my sprint unlimited plan. that being said, my jailbroken iphone could do it all. I could even hack access points with aircrack. I mean seriously... Minus the phone as modem capability the Iphone was probably a better device. that being said however, I love my diamond. The smaller form factor and phone as a modem, and NOT having to deal with itunes were my 3 selling points. Now with the possibility of android being loaded on the diamond I might even be able to hack access points again who knows. True the diamond doesnt feel as "smooth" but with JuggaloX Rom and Verizon radio flash it works alot better for me. Very Rarely does it lag. And anyway...who needs games when you have ppc geeks to keep you entertained??!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison