PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 01:33 AM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Jealous of iPhone games

im not jealous at all..... i have a Pre BTW
Old 03-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
there isn't anything new they can do with the 4th generation iphone unless theyre going to drop tegra or tegra 2 in it (doubt it) and palm already has openGL and graphics that'll rival the iphone so they're sitting pretty as far as mobile gaming goes.
and i guess you're waiting for them to fail since you brought them up?
the 4G iphones can have bigger AMOLED screens,higher resolutions.. and 1-1.5ghz apple chips, or tegra if they want, 5-8mp cameras.. just like what HTC is doing...also Iphone OS4.0 looks like it will be a pretty nice improvement. I'm no iphone fanboy, and still prefer WM and Android at the moment.

Palm seems like it's not doing too well (if my sources are correct) and are only going down, seems like just a few people are buying Pres and Pixis, but I am admittedly not an expert on the subject so if I am wrong and the sales are booming lemme know, I don't have any beef with palm or webos, just seems they were going the wrong way as fas as sales went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotphood View Post

@orangekid, I agree somewhat. Some games just don't have a long replay value, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they can be a blast. SF4 for instance, very impressive control system, graphics, fluid gameplay but short replay value. What I do like is ease of multiplayer ability (wifi, bt, online). But what games are you talking about for your diamond? I'm interested because I never really played games for long on my diamond.

teeter,pocket lemmings,Pocket Uno (I love uno), pacman, smart simon, SPB brain evolution 2, skins sudoku

all free, all fun enough to keep me playing over and over again.

lemmings wins ftw for sure.

Also get a good GBA emulator and play Mother 3 (the next game in the "Mother or Earthbound" series, pretty good game)
Old 03-17-2010, 01:06 PM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
But Apple already has a considerable head start. The hardware won't be the difference maker. The fact is, as a dev, you're more likely to make the most $ on the dark side.

@orangekid, I agree somewhat. Some games just don't have a long replay value, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they can be a blast. SF4 for instance, very impressive control system, graphics, fluid gameplay but short replay value. What I do like is ease of multiplayer ability (wifi, bt, online). But what games are you talking about for your diamond? I'm interested because I never really played games for long on my diamond.

agreed, I do like the fact that on my iphone I download like 3 or 4 new games a day, then usually trash at least half of them, but play out the other ones till they're not fun, at any given time I have 60-70 in my "games" folder and the only 2 I play religiously with long term value are "words with friends" and "chess with friends" because I can play with my frendz.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:55 AM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"
Carrier: Sprint

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
the 4G iphones can have bigger AMOLED screens,higher resolutions.. and 1-1.5ghz apple chips, or tegra if they want, 5-8mp cameras.. just like what HTC is doing...also Iphone OS4.0 looks like it will be a pretty nice improvement. I'm no iphone fanboy, and still prefer WM and Android at the moment.

Palm seems like it's not doing too well (if my sources are correct) and are only going down, seems like just a few people are buying Pres and Pixis, but I am admittedly not an expert on the subject so if I am wrong and the sales are booming lemme know, I don't have any beef with palm or webos, just seems they were going the wrong way as fas as sales went.
I was speaking in the context of gaming, there's not a whole lot they can do, yeah AMOLED would help make everything look nicer and maybe a processor bump would help although I haven't seen any numbers as to how much system resources are currently being used by existing iPhone games but if they're not maxing it now, then a quicker processor wouldn't really matter

and it seems like Palm is just slowly dying they posted another loss, $22M this time (at least its not $98M like last year) but yeah Pre and Pixi aren't doing so well anymore, be interesting to see what Palm does to stave off death this time
Old 03-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbearamus View Post
I was speaking in the context of gaming, there's not a whole lot they can do, yeah AMOLED would help make everything look nicer and maybe a processor bump would help although I haven't seen any numbers as to how much system resources are currently being used by existing iPhone games but if they're not maxing it now, then a quicker processor wouldn't really matter
currently with the openGL2.0 the 3Gs uses they have been able to run really nice N64 emulators.

most games don't take the processor to the max, true, but Wii Remote support on some games using btstack is pretty cool.

as far as hard-core 3dfx gaming, well, apple has never been well known and has always been inferior to the PC in this regard, but remember too, we're talking about a 3.5" screen (or bigger),

I personally would prefer to save my hard-core 3D gaming experience for my big ass TV, you know? Although I'm so busy it's taken me liek 6 months to play 6 hours of Zelda

I too am very curious to see how wp7 gaming will turn out, Palm, it seems, is on the way out unless they can bust a serious move soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond - WM 6.5 - Telus 1.04.05
Carrier: Sprint

robotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularrobotphood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

There are games that do max the processor. Faster hardware will only push game dev to create better games. There are plenty of areas where more ram and processing power would help on the iphone/ipod. Just multitasking a few apps can be limited unless you have a 3Gs.

Sad for palm, I really do like some elements of webos. I'm also very curious to how WP7 will turn out. I just hope there's more to it than what's out there.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
There are games that do max the processor. Faster hardware will only push game dev to create better games. There are plenty of areas where more ram and processing power would help on the iphone/ipod. Just multitasking a few apps can be limited unless you have a 3Gs.

Sad for palm, I really do like some elements of webos. I'm also very curious to how WP7 will turn out. I just hope there's more to it than what's out there.

well said.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison