PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What kind of screen did you get?
Sprint good screen 183 40.94%
Sprint Bad screen 176 39.37%
Verizon good screen 45 10.07%
Verizon bad screen 3 0.67%
Other good screen 34 7.61%
Other bad screen 6 1.34%
Voters: 447. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Glue

This is what's happening to my Alltel's screen. The digitizer, top layer, polarizer is un glue-ing itself at the left seam. Where it's smuged, the stylus/touch does not work anymore.. When it get's hot humid it's becoming unglued and it's spreading..

-CC
Old 06-02-2008, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Sprint HTC Touch Vogue 100 (lesser quality screen)

Click on the smaller image above to view a slide show of a Sprint HTC Touch Vogue 100 with a lesser quality screen. You will notice highly diminished viewing angles.

-CC

Last edited by clockcycle; 06-02-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW
Carrier: Sprint

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff
Re: Good vs Bad screens (pictures + videos of both)

All I can say, is I never returned my Touch because of the "bad" screen. I returned it because it kept getting dark spots all over, which I think is related to the "bad" screen properties.

Austin, TX, Slaughter/I-35 -- If you want a good Touch.

The difference is so incredible that I have a feeling that most of you who have "good" screens--don't...

My old LCD had about a 30 degree vertical viewing angle, and maybe a 90 degree horizontal viewing angle... The new one is honest-to-god, 180 degrees both ways. Very similar to my plasma TV... perfect.

That being said, I would probably spend $100 on gas to find a good screen... I couldn't even use Sprint TV on my four "bad-screened" Touchs... one eye got the negative image, and the other got the proper image... I would get a headache in a matter of seconds... just terrible... Now it's amazing.

Oh, and if anyone needs any clarification on sunlight readibility... on the 3rd tick mark for brightness (pretty dim,) I can read it 90% of the time in direct sunlight... when I move it to full brightness, it's 100% viewable, and looks sharp doing so... I never use that setting because it's a battery-hog... the third or fourth tick mark is perfect...
I wish HTC had picked a better source for those original screens... I am going to take care of this baby... think I'll put the strap on it

Last edited by ScrapMaker; 06-03-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Almost a VIP

SprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuffSprintTouch08 knows their stuff

well i have the direct opposite of everyone. i have very good landscape viewing angle and polarization tilting up and down on the screen in portrait (which who cares the important part is really the landscape, when its portrait your viewing dead on 99% of the time)

I dont know why everyone is so concerned about angles anyways. Polarization dead on is one thing. Youre not going to sit and purposely use the phone at 45 degree angle so why worry about it? If it works dead center and slightly off, then it does its job- its not a plasma screen.

But its nothing im going to go spend $100 like a nut job driving around bugging the sprint stores about (i have a job to actually go to, not drive to sprint stores all day). Im content with what i have. Especially not when the next line from HTC will be out in a few short months anyways with major upgrades anyways. Not worth the extra money for 10 extra degrees viewing or what not.

Last edited by SprintTouch08; 06-03-2008 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Source for disassembly instructions;
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...bor_htc_touch/

I just took apart my Alltel and two Sprint Touch Vogue 100.

Don't have a camera with me here now, but obvious differences in the LCD.

The Sprint version is gray with black border about 1/8" going around. The Alltel version is black.

As I stated before with the reasoning behind Japanese made Sony LCD being so clear, vivid and having more vibrant coloration because it starts with a black screen instead of gray background.

They are clearly different, the gray-ish ones have lettering engraved on them, the black one does not. They both have a film on them, like a thin screen protector.

-CC

EDIT: I'd like to mention, that lint and dust while working on screens SUCKS!

Last edited by clockcycle; 06-03-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

clockcycle........ good job diggin into this matter. Well I ended up going to 5 different stores and they all told me my phone is ok. I refferewd them to this site and explained how there is actually 2 screens. One guy checked it out and said he understands the issue. He was nice enough to open 2 brand new boxes to see if they had the better screen but no luck. But had the bad screen. He said theres nothing he can do since theres not enough complaints about it. He said I was the first guy with this issue and he was not aware of it. So he recommended me to ship the phone to HTC because if he replaces my phone now then I will end up with the same problem. I kindly thanked him because he was the nicest tech from all the stores. I just told him I was going to hit others stores and see where I go. This is almost turning out to be hopeless really...... kinda makes me hate HTC for making different quality phones. Good luck all......

By the way, he did agree about the landscape view of the phone. He did notice how both eyes do see a different shade of brightness on it. So he did agree on that.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM
PPCGeeks VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Formula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIPFormula84 is a VIP

Would be great if you could take some pics because buying one on ebay would be easier if we knew what the good one looked like (photo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Source for disassembly instructions;
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...bor_htc_touch/

I just took apart my Alltel and two Sprint Touch Vogue 100.

Don't have a camera with me here now, but obvious differences in the LCD.

The Sprint version is gray with black border about 1/8" going around. The Alltel version is black.

As I stated before with the reasoning behind Japanese made Sony LCD being so clear, vivid and having more vibrant coloration because it starts with a black screen instead of gray background.

They are clearly different, the gray-ish ones have lettering engraved on them, the black one does not. They both have a film on them, like a thin screen protector.

-CC

EDIT: I'd like to mention, that lint and dust while working on screens SUCKS!
Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula84 View Post
Would be great if you could take some pics because buying one on ebay would be easier if we knew what the good one looked like (photo).

Almost impossible to tell from a picture, unless it's a real picture of the unit you are actually gonna get in decent high rez. The screen is visibly darker shade of "black" it's almost like I dare say "real black"..

Unfortunately cameras, and monitor display images/colors differently and what I see on my side may not be what you see or how you see it.

Only way I can tell if having BOTH side by side to compare.

-CC
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

vaxick is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to vaxick Send a message via Yahoo to vaxick

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockcycle View Post
Almost impossible to tell from a picture, unless it's a real picture of the unit you are actually gonna get in decent high rez. The screen is visibly darker shade of "black" it's almost like I dare say "real black"..

Unfortunately cameras, and monitor display images/colors differently and what I see on my side may not be what you see or how you see it.

Only way I can tell if having BOTH side by side to compare.

-CC
The best way is just looking for a screen that does not seem to turn into a negative image when you tilt it to angles.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post
The best way is just looking for a screen that does not seem to turn into a negative image when you tilt it to angles.
Yeah, you'd have to ask the seller on ebay to send you pictures of the actual phone tilted. Then you have to trust that that will be the phone you'll be getting

-CC
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue