PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc vogue
Carrier: sprint

up2no6ood knows their stuffup2no6ood knows their stuffup2no6ood knows their stuffup2no6ood knows their stuffup2no6ood knows their stuffup2no6ood knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HTC Touch screen dark area?

Yes it is due to pressure. But it is not caused by applying extreme pressure to the outside of the screen. I have had 3 phones all in a row have this problem. 2 of them came new right out of the box this way. These spots are caused by uneven pressure against the bottom side of the lcd or between the digitizer and the lcd. To prove this take 2 fingers and apply slight pressure to the screen on both sides of the dark spot. Now variate the pressure on those two fingers. Do you see the spot look like its moving, getting lighter, or even disappearing? By doing this you are evening out the pressure on the lcd wich in turn effects the dark spot. I haven't had the guts to take my phone apart but I could almost guarantee if you took the phone apart and re assembled it by hand very carefully, the spot would go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic1 View Post
the problem with the screen is pressure on it like if it was in its case and you leaned against it or had it on your hip with your seat belt on.....the screens are very sensitive to pressure you would be amazed how quickly it can happen less then 20 second localized pressure can overheat the crystals... cool part is you can get a new phone if you complain right... if its in your pocket take it out and put it in the case that came with it...when you get in your car take it out of the case and get a holder for it like the scosche grip it i got mine from walmart for 20 bux or something...hope this helps

l8r....sub
Old 10-05-2008, 11:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vogue
Carrier: sprint

tk76 is just getting started

I just had a left lower spot show up yesterday. I hope it does not get worse.

Since I bought the phone on ebay 2 weeks ago (to avoid extending my contract) there probably is no way to replace the phone.

I won't try and return it on ebay, since it was in good shape when I recieved it.

Doesn't effect the functionality of the phone, but a major annoyance.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

calisoldier83 is keeping up the good workcalisoldier83 is keeping up the good work

this is weird I had my phone since january 08. I was replacing the screen protector with a new one, and at that time the screen had no noticable dark spots.

Fast forward the next day there are three dark spots on the lower portion of the screen. The last time I tried to get this Touch replaced the person working there wanted me to fork over 50 bones because I didn't have insurance.

What are you guys doing without insurance to get your phone replaced/fixed?

P/S Be Careful when replacing the screen protector, as it may be holding the lcd in a certain position that can cause these spots to show up after removal.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

notrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuffnotrock knows their stuff

Damn it! Just got a dark spot on my 3rd touch!! All 3 were brand new. I bought my first touch in December and the spot appeared in February. Then the second touch got a spot in June. Now this one. I have never dropped any of them. When it comes to pressure I can't not even put into words how gentle I am with my electronics. Handling a flower peddle is one way to say it. I'm averaging 4 replacements a year and I haven't had the phone a year. I imagine at this rate I will become a liability and sprint will drop my insurance. After reading this post go sign up for the insurance.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:57 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Threadstarter

cpm199 is a n00b

yeah, I'm on my 3rd Touch now. The first had spots on the lower left, and one on the upper center area of the screen. The second had one spot on the upper area of the screen just right of center. I keep my phone in my pocket by itself and feel the phone should be able to handle that. On my first one it took a couple of weeks for the spots to show up, the second only took a matter of hours. So far my third is spot free after 2 weeks,and I'm hoping it stays that way. As I've stated on a previous post, the interesting thing here is that so far once the spots show up on the LCD they don't grow or more don't start to appear months later. After the spots initially appeared on my first Touch I kept it for several months prior to taking it in for a new one and no additional areas showed up. Based on what "up2no6ood" stated above I have never been able to manipulate my dark spot with pressure, but I don't believe I ever tried putting pressure to the outside positions for the spots before, so maybe that will make a difference. I'm just glad that so far no new spots have appeared on my 3rd Touch. I do have insurance and feel that if you have this issue you might want to take out the insurance and wait a while then try to get it fixed. In my opinion it's a manufacture defect and they should just fix it, but the Sprint stores will likely tell you that it does not affect the way the phone operates and is there for cosmetic, but just don't take "no" for an answer. They told me that the first time, and I had the tech bring out his manager, he told me the same and I think he could tell by the look in my eyes that I was about to rip in to him and he quickly decided to give me a new one. The second time I went in to the store and they told me the same thing, I went ahead and left without a new phone, but called CS and they sent me a refurbished one, which has not had any spots appear yet. I hope it stays that way. If the problem persists, I might request a discounted path to the Diamond, but I like my phone, and while the Diamond does have many things that I want, I'm not all that impressed with it. I would like to wait and see what else comes out in the next year or two if my Touch doesn't show that issue again.

Last edited by cpm199; 11-10-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

cpm199 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2no6ood View Post
Yes it is due to pressure. But it is not caused by applying extreme pressure to the outside of the screen. I have had 3 phones all in a row have this problem. 2 of them came new right out of the box this way. These spots are caused by uneven pressure against the bottom side of the lcd or between the digitizer and the lcd. To prove this take 2 fingers and apply slight pressure to the screen on both sides of the dark spot. Now variate the pressure on those two fingers. Do you see the spot look like its moving, getting lighter, or even disappearing? By doing this you are evening out the pressure on the lcd wich in turn effects the dark spot.
Anyone else confirm this? I still have my old one, so I'll try to test this later today and report back.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

savior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to savior02

mines have this problem too! i had opened the phone along time ago and i thought it was me! guess not....but the touch is really bad quality the exployee told me that the touch is the one phone on sprint that has had the most problems..,thats probably why they discoed it before the mogul....

Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc EVO 4G

jeiyuu is keeping up the good workjeiyuu is keeping up the good work

same problem, i am on my second touch now.. had the spot for a few months already..

haven't had the time to take it into the sprint store, but definitely will sometime next week.

EDIT: went to the sprint store today 11/15/08 to ask and see if i could get it fixed (because at this point i don't care if i get a refurbished Touch, the dark spot is messing my enjoyment of watching videos on my device).. the rep told me it is considered physical damage and that i would either have to spend $50 and sent it through insurance, or pay $116 to have the screen fixed.. I am pissed!! (especially because i didn't even ask for a NEW phone OR upgrade) WTH?!?!? Time to write a letter..

If I helped you in any way, be sure to say

Last edited by jeiyuu; 11-15-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

cpm199 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeiyuu View Post
same problem, i am on my second touch now.. had the spot for a few months already..

haven't had the time to take it into the sprint store, but definitely will sometime next week.

EDIT: went to the sprint store today 11/15/08 to ask and see if i could get it fixed (because at this point i don't care if i get a refurbished Touch, the dark spot is messing my enjoyment of watching videos on my device).. the rep told me it is considered physical damage and that i would either have to spend $50 and sent it through insurance, or pay $116 to have the screen fixed.. I am pissed!! (especially because i didn't even ask for a NEW phone OR upgrade) WTH?!?!? Time to write a letter..
Yeah man, don't give up. I highly recommend signing up for the Insurance then wait a couple of weeks and make a claim on the screen. I think it's bogus that they won't repair the screen on what is certainly a proven manufacture defect. I have had the insurance from day one on my Touch and It has been a great asset due to this screen issue. Another approach is direct them to this thread so they can see that this is a pattern. I just tried to see if I could find a vid on YouTube that shows this issue, but I struck out. I did find one on a somewhat similar Touch Diamond issue, check it out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3umby-sWeW0

BTW, I fired up my last phone before I returned it and tried to apply pressure to the areas around the dark spot and while it did manipulate the spot some, I'm not sure I'm convinced that the spots are due to pressure from touching components under the screen. If that were the case then it seems the spots would always be in the same one or two locations, but from what I've seen these spots are showing up in random locations. So far my 3rd Touch has not had any spots show up, and hopefully it stays that way.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch

RTA01 is a n00b

I just figured I would chime in here. I got the dark spot myself a couple of weeks ago, a little under halfway up the screen, off center to the left. It happened after I took out my battery, and then put it back in. Nothing rough, nothing out the ordinary, something I had done a thousand times before. Just poof, it was there. I haven't tried to get it fixed yet. Don't know if I'll bother.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue