PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: More Questions - Hope You Have Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetrillo View Post
I will say this over and over again as I embark on this ROM journey....thanks very much for being so open with the information you have provided and will provide. Alot of people wouldnt be so accomodating but I sincerely appreciate it all!
I'll try to answer within reason what I can. And appreciate the feedback!

Quote:
Now onto the questions. I took a step back in my quest for a Steve ROM using the leaked VZW ROM as my base. I noticed that alot of my OEMS just dumped right into the \Windows directory, and I want to have a much cleaner ROM than that. So I have gone back to the beginning and will be taking one OEM at a time and determining where it should be installed to, and then making the corresponding changes to reg and all. This is going to be a long process I know, but in the end the clutter in the \Windows directory will be minimized.

So on that note have you had a reason to want to copy the entire directory structure off of a device to your PC, and if so what tool have you used to do this. I hate having to browse through the device directory on the device. I have much better tools on my PC to do this and would rather dump it there for any manipulation.

Second I noticed a directory in the OEM directory of my VZW dump. Its called OEM_Lang_0409. I have come across several OEMs, like VC, which have OEMS that fit into this category. Would it be safe to say that anything like this should be in this directory rather than outside of it?

Onward and upward...thanks!

Steve
The only way to eliminate the \windows clutter is to not cook so much "stuff" into the rom and use an alternative like UserCustomization to do post-flash .cab installs.

Currently for most devices that I am aware of, this is the delivery method of WindowsMobile 5, 6, and 6.1. EVERYTHING you cook into your rom, get's dumped into \windows. Did I say EVERYTHING? \Windows is the starting point, then winmo copies stuff to where it is supposed to be using the initflashfiles.dat file and more recently people are using mxip provisinioning files to do some minor re-arranging of the files.

So, to eliminate clutter, Think Clean Rom....

And you should only add OEM's to the ..\Kitchen\OEM directory. This is where most of the "carrier stuff" resides.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff

So your statement about "Think Clean ROM" begs the question...what do you consider to be a clean ROM. What components are in and what are out? For example do you consider Office Mobile part of a clean ROM, or outside of its scope?

Steve
Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
So your statement about "Think Clean ROM" begs the question...what do you consider to be a clean ROM. What components are in and what are out? For example do you consider Office Mobile part of a clean ROM, or outside of its scope?

Steve
Everyone has a different definition of a clean rom. I would include office in my clean rom. Those files, or program files run out of windows. That is the approach ppckitchen takes, they try to run everything out of windows so there aren't two copies of the programs of the device to save space. My approach is to install it as a .cab install.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 AM
VIP Member

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
Everyone has a different definition of a clean rom. I would include office in my clean rom. Those files, or program files run out of windows. That is the approach ppckitchen takes, they try to run everything out of windows so there aren't two copies of the programs of the device to save space. My approach is to install it as a .cab install.
Its funny you say that because this seems to be the great philosophical debate. I personally have gone back and forth. I start with a 6700, so I had to make sure I conserved precious ROM space. With the 6800 came some more room to cook more, and now with the 6900 even more room. I like the cab approach because it gives you the flexibility to be nimble when upgrades come out.

Steve
Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 AM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Its funny you say that because this seems to be the great philosophical debate.
very much so !!!

keep in mind that its just more n00b-friendly to put everything into the windows folder,
also check out Customize your StartMenu for PPCKitchen.org's - BuildOS - Tutorial
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy
This tutorial will allow you to customize your Start Menu on your device using a PPCKitchen rom. I will show you how to add files to the attached "empty OEM", and then edit the initflashfiles.txt file that will copy your files to where you want 'em.
And for you diamond users: Templates: Custom Start Menu's for your ROM - 9/29/08
Old 11-22-2008, 01:54 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Re: How to Customize a Custom Rom: Adding/Removing Programs

But just copying around start menu entries doesn't take up much space....1k at the most...But say cooking opera into a rom and copying it to a destination directory while taking up \windows space is...hopefully you have a device with a little bit of memory...

Last edited by rstoyguy; 11-22-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:04 AM
the magic mod
Pocket PC: 6700, 6800, 6900, 6950, TP2, iPad/iPod, Evo, Note3
Carrier: sprint

puff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the communitypuff is a trusted member of the community

So lets say you wanted to move opera (not just the start menu shortcut) to \Opera

First you would obviously create the directory, but then can you move (rather than just copy) using the initflashfiles ?
Old 11-22-2008, 09:36 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff View Post
So lets say you wanted to move opera (not just the start menu shortcut) to \Opera

First you would obviously create the directory, but then can you move (rather than just copy) using the initflashfiles ?
initflashfiles can only copy files, you'd use provxml to copy, then delete the entry. I'm not sure about deleting a file cooked into the rom, but both initflashfiles and provxml will overwrite a file cooked into rom. That's how I do my startup screens in my rom. But you can't overwrite a file in use by the OS already, like once I tried to do no2chems battery.dll like that but since the .dll was already in use it wouldn't overwrite it.

Back to opera, that's what I call an intense app. You'd have to change all the registry entries and file/data locations as well...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 AM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

Updated Kitchens so that other devices can now benefit from this tutorial:

Titan Kitchen: DogGuy Kitchen Beta4.rar
Vogue Kitchen: Vogue_Kitchen_tools.rar
Diamond Kitchen: DIAM_blank_kitchen.rar
Raphael Kitchen: RAPH_blank_kitchen.rar
Old 12-03-2008, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

New Issue

What does the attached screenshot mean when I am running BuildOS? Does it mean that I have a GUID that is duplicated?

Steve

Last edited by spetrillo; 12-22-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development