PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

nowhy is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint warranty (keyboard doesn't work)

My keyboard is completely dead. (For a few months, it was just the horrible lag, but now it doesn't work at all.) I brought it into Sprint and they offered me a refurbished replacement, but the warranty on the refurb is only 30 days from date of replacement, whereas my original warranty is scheduled to run for a few more months.

I did a search of this site on the replacement policy, but there seem to be conflicting reports - is it common that Sprint replaces with refurbs, or is it at the discretion of the store? I'm only asking because I used to have a different carrier and they always replaced in-store, with a new out of the box replacement.

Also, I saw another post that said that the warranty should extend to either 30 days or the original expiration date, whichever is later. Has the policy recently changed, or is my store being difficult? The thing is, my phone right now was okay for the first month or so, so I'm wary of a 30 day warranty. From other posts, it also looks like the keyboard problem is epidemic, so I'm debating whether to cut my losses now or keep dealing with replacements. (Quite honestly, I'd like to junk the phone & Sprint altogether, but the cancellation fee is giving me pause.) Thanks for your advice!

Edited to add: I meant to mention that I don't have insurance. From what I understand, my problem is covered by the manufacturer's warranty, and Sprint's offer is covered by the manufacturer.

Last edited by nowhy; 09-01-2009 at 07:54 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Back with Sprint!

Avareyne is just getting started
Re: Sprint warranty (keyboard doesn't work)

They should be able to just replace the keyboard and not switch your phone. They replaced mine when it wasn't working and then everything worked as new again.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Cheers! ^^
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2

TnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TnA-2xXtReM Send a message via Yahoo to TnA-2xXtReM

First of all, do you have total equipment protection (TEP) addon to your line where your TP is at? If so, you don't have to worry a thing about 60 days, 1 years, etc warranty as for as long you have TEP and pays $7 a month, you're covered. When doing an exchange through the Sprint repair store, they can only order you refurbished unit only, with battery, charger, etc. When the replacement comes, you just give them the device with any accessories and they will hand you a refurbished device (looks and feels like new!).

If you currently do not have TEP, take the replacement now and you can addon the TEP for $7 a month after you activate the replacement.

Like the poster ontop of me, replacing the keyboard is an option as well. However, if you have dings here and there and scratches on the device, I would recommend getting a refurbished unit as for it is practically brand new looking.

Temporary selling Sprint SERO 500 plans for $80.

The SERO 500 plan is only $30 a month and it gives you: 500 minutes monthly, unlimited data, unlimited text, unlimited picture mail, nights and weekend from 7PM to 7AM, and more!

This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Thanks for the responses. I was told by the technicians that they couldn't fix the keyboard; maybe I should try another store? I don't have insurance (had it but cancelled!). They said that this problem was covered by the HTC manufacturer's warranty. Mostly I'm concerned about the 30 day warranty on the replacement, since the keyboard issue on my current phone didn't show up right away.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:07 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

since u have no insurance, you are only entitled to HTCs warranty..

have fun with them though, you ship your phone and wait weeks without a deviice..

fix it yourself, read the stickie on it, its pretty simple
Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

I've read the stickie and am considering it, especially since it sounds like the keyboard on my replacement will have problems, too, in all likelihood. A little disappointing, though, that the Sprint techs wouldn't fix it for me, if the fix is so straightforward.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

you dont have insurance, thats the issue at the store.... they dont have to help you.. they very well might just not wanna do the work...

who says itll happen again?? ive had 4tps, 2 r still fine asnd only 1 had a keyboard issue
Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIPfr0st is a VIP

Take the refurb. Get insurance. The 7 bucks a month is worth getting your phone replaced no matter how long you had it. 2 out of the 3 TP replacements I had were new out of the box in store. They only do this if the refurbs aren't in stock. It's kind of hit or miss. Since I know someone that worked at that store I had made sure to replace it when they were giving out new phones.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Back with Sprint!

Avareyne is just getting started

I don't know why they told you they can't fix your keyboard. I didn't have insurance either, they still replaced it. Then I had other problems and Sprint just replaced my phone with a brand new one even though I don't have TEP. Everyone tells me they have bad customer service but I haven't experienced it.

I would try calling closer stores to see if they will fix it rather than replace it.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avareyne View Post
I don't know why they told you they can't fix your keyboard. I didn't have insurance either, they still replaced it. Then I had other problems and Sprint just replaced my phone with a brand new one even though I don't have TEP. Everyone tells me they have bad customer service but I haven't experienced it.

I would try calling closer stores to see if they will fix it rather than replace it.
im gonna go out on a limb and say that since all ur stats r very new, that your TP was new out of the Box...

the OPs is a refurb, he gets 30 or 60 days(i forget) to say it has issues... your phone, a new phone, has a 1yr manufacturer warranty, thats why they serviced you... hes past the time frame where sprint will feel(or actually is) obligated to fix it

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro