PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can we stop the ROM madness?

It is a bit interesting that it is the newer PPCgeeks who are the ones who are offering the dissenting opinion to the majority viewpoint....

I think it is fine to have differing opinions but in this case I would say that "experience counts".
Old 06-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOvoruhk View Post
That's a terrible analogy. I can't go get a plain burger from McFattie's and run a CAB file to "install" thousand island dressing and turn it into a Big Mac

But if I had a plain ROM, I could run a few CAB files, and have it look just like many of the custom ROMs out there

Personally I think it's a good idea. Have a few base ROMs that consisted of things that aren't CAB installable (Like 6.5), and then just start releasing add-on packs. It would pretty be like a computer. You install Windows, and then whatever else you want
wtf are you talking about? there are plenty of clean roms to choose from that you can install whatever you want onto. people are talking as if fast and stable 6.5 roms dont exist but if everyone worked together they would. this is garbage! there are plenty in existence. some clean and some not but each with their own flare.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: mongul> touch > diamond > touch pro
Carrier: sprint

ezln0423 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularezln0423 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularezln0423 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularezln0423 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to ezln0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethcom4 View Post
you're a communist.
lol and what is wrong with being a communist?? lol jk

Old 06-30-2009, 01:59 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Question Re: Can we stop the ROM madness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy View Post
It is a bit interesting that it is the newer PPCgeeks who are the ones who are offering the dissenting opinion to the majority viewpoint....

I think it is fine to have differing opinions but in this case I would say that "experience counts".
Ha! Thats funny! i was just noticing the same thing.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

I think that somebody should decide which kind of device and os everyone should be using and then there would be less confusion. Maybe the gov. should look into this.
ed lol
If someone did do what I just proposed then my guess is the only device out thee would be the iphoney.
OP do you see why your topic for this thread doesn't make sense!?
It is better to have choices.
That is what life is all about.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
Several things:

1) I think we all understood pretty well.
2) You didn't clarify anything.
3) Saying that MR5 is the fastest and most stable is BS. There is no evidence to back this statement up. I use Juicy 8 and find it to be very fast and stable. To my knowledge there has yet to be a benchmark test performed on all of the latest releases to determine which is the fastest and stability is far too vague to make such a statement.
Notice my caveat "according to my completely unscientific exposure to these boards." That is my way of admitting that I do not have any evidence outside of what I've read. And I did not include "fastest" in my description, simply "most stable." The mere fact that you reacted the way you did proves my point: how is someone who hasn't tried every ROM supposed to be able to distinguish between real performance improvements and fun customizations?

Quote:
4) All ROMs replace the stock ROM. If he wants a collaborative effort, he can use one of the collaborated ROMs.
5) Different people want different things.
Yes, but not all of them do so equally. That's really the problem in its entirety. Juicy and Silence and MM all do awesome things, but they each do some things better than others. Frankly if Silence is best at speed and MM is best at stability, there is no reason why we should have to choose "speed" or "stability," not when their collaboration could both a.) lessen their individual workloads and b.) produce an ultimately better core product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x10guy

I could not disagree more strongly. How you should be reading this is that people who are new to the scene have no way of effectively determining which ROM to install without just trying all of them. That's silly. The fact is that the core OS, whether it be 6.1 or 6.5, can be tweaked to an optimal level of speed and stability. This baseline level of performance should be included in ALL ROMs, as it would significantly reduce the workload of any chefs and probably noticeably increase their performance. I'm all for 1000s of customizations; I do not want to see the amount of ROMs decrease. I'd just like to be able to switch from one ROM to the next and have all that changes be the customizations and programs installed, not the call quality or battery life. (Within reason--battery life is, after all, a function of usage patterns.)

Now, I happen to agree with both of you in that this will most likely not happen--the amount of coordination necessary is unlikely to take place without some sort of management. But that doesn't mean the idea is a bad one, and most of the criticisms leveled here seem to confuse "make a baseline ROM" with "ZOMG I <3 SOVIET RUSSIA."
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post
Notice my caveat "according to my completely unscientific exposure to these boards." That is my way of admitting that I do not have any evidence outside of what I've read. And I did not include "fastest" in my description, simply "most stable." The mere fact that you reacted the way you did proves my point: how is someone who hasn't tried every ROM supposed to be able to distinguish between real performance improvements and fun customizations?

Yes, but not all of them do so equally. That's really the problem in its entirety. Juicy and Silence and MM all do awesome things, but they each do some things better than others. Frankly if Silence is best at speed and MM is best at stability, there is no reason why we should have to choose "speed" or "stability," not when their collaboration could both a.) lessen their individual workloads and b.) produce an ultimately better core product.

I could not disagree more strongly. How you should be reading this is that people who are new to the scene have no way of effectively determining which ROM to install without just trying all of them. That's silly. The fact is that the core OS, whether it be 6.1 or 6.5, can be tweaked to an optimal level of speed and stability. This baseline level of performance should be included in ALL ROMs, as it would significantly reduce the workload of any chefs and probably noticeably increase their performance. I'm all for 1000s of customizations; I do not want to see the amount of ROMs decrease. I'd just like to be able to switch from one ROM to the next and have all that changes be the customizations and programs installed, not the call quality or battery life. (Within reason--battery life is, after all, a function of usage patterns.)

Now, I happen to agree with both of you in that this will most likely not happen--the amount of coordination necessary is unlikely to take place without some sort of management. But that doesn't mean the idea is a bad one, and most of the criticisms leveled here seem to confuse "make a baseline ROM" with "ZOMG I <3 SOVIET RUSSIA."
Things are becoming more and more clear as this thread progresses and that is that the newer members to this forum don't quite know what they are talking about.

On another notr, I went to buy a car recently and was too overwhelmed with all of my oftions. i think toyota should partner with mercedes and kia so that i can have the luxury of the benz, reliability of the toyota, and the cost of a kia. otherwise all of these car companies make my head spin! what am i supposed to do? actually go out and test drive different cars to see which one I like the most? thats insane!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:48 AM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlin View Post
Things are becoming more and more clear as this thread progresses and that is that the newer members to this forum don't quite know what they are talking about.

+1. Normally you want to be somewhat patient and understanding with newer members who ask questions that have been answered before but when they keep on insisting that everyone is wrong then it becomes harder.

Bottom line is that there have been collaborations on ROMS. All the cooks seem to help each other. But it is nothing near what the OP first suggested and others may have wanted. There has never been an unified ROM (base or loaded or anything in between) and probably never will be. It DOES NOT necessarily make it a bad idea... just very very very unlikely.

Last edited by x10guy; 06-30-2009 at 02:52 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 AM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

All I hear anymore is fast & stable.

Is this any more than someones opinion?

Sorry, but i'm on my tpro & 1/2 asleep. Discuss.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

digitard is just getting started

Being new, but not new, I kind of see both sides.

From someone who is getting their first WinMo phone that walks in here they see 15 ROM's with hunderds to thousdands of replies each. Each ROM has different configurations, WinMo builds, and so on. It can be really duanting, and confusing for those new to modding people who haven't had a chance to play around with things and really haven't discovered what they really like. They don't know, yet, all the little applications that they really like, or dont like, and all that good stuff.

So I can see the want to streamline things... hell I'm sure we all, at one point, have wished a few of the ROM's we like merged all their best parts and we had SuperROM!

But... then I see the flip side. Those exact same reasons are why I love there being so many ROM's. There are SO many pieces of software out there. Mainstream ones, and little things someone on XDA/PPC have created. Sometimes those pieces of software may be hidden away in one ROM and you never know they exist, but then in another they're up front and so "in your face' you notice them and now they're your favorite app/utility ever.

That's just my 2 cents. I can see both sides of the argument, but I have to side with the 'more the merrier' side. We really need all these setups because there are so many users, with so many wants, that we need tons of ROM's out there so we can find that chef that tend's to feel the same way we do and is the closest match for us.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro