PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Ichisan

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Can we stop the ROM madness?

I Like The Different ROMS Since Each Unique Builder Its Own Touch.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I think a lot of you are missing his point entirely. Albeit he didn't explain it very well to begin with, but what he's suggesting is actually quite reasonable. If I understand him correctly, what he's describing is a ROM to replace carrier stock ROMs, that is a collaborative effort so that it utilizes all of the most experienced PPC chefs' expertise.

Before I go any further, don't tell me: "different people want different things." Sure, maybe I like TF3D and someone else likes TF3D2, but *everyone* wants their ROM to be a.) fast and b.) stable. This is a universal request. The collaboration between MM and Silence is the perfect example of this, and is probably the closest thing to what the OP is describing: a base ROM that is both fast and stable, and capable of being customized from the ground up. Nothing like this exists, to my knowledge, for WM 6.5, for what I would consider obvious reasons. But the general consensus (according to my completely unscientific exposure to these boards) is that MR5 is the most stable ROM using WM6.5. So, per the OP's logic, whatever basic OS components MR5 uses should be tweaked for speed and stability by as many experts as possible, and then EVERY ROM should use this base package on which to make their customizations. That way, any ROM offered on the board conforms to a minimum standard of speed and stability, so that when anyone asks: "what's the fastest/most stable ROM" we can simply point them to the base packages and say: "These. If you want more customization, you may sacrifice a bit of speed, and some of the fun custom stuff may not be as stable."

This in no way is "communism." It's just more intelligent allocation of resources. If everyone wants speed and stability, there's no reason why we should have every chef working in isolation to achieve that goal. Silence and MM are living proof of this: they have created a very fast, very stable ROM. That ROM should, in my opinion, serve as the basis for any 6.1 ROMs going forward.

In a perfect world, the carrier ROMs as provided would do this, but as we all know they seem incapable of programming an interface that works.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 AM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Thanks for the long explanation but the short answer is STILL
It won't work. Simply there are just too many preferences and different viewpoints on what is really important in a ROM.

Not being harsh just realistic. Look at this thread. Almost ALL those experienced with ROMS and PPCgeeks VIPs almost unanimously agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post
Honestly, I think a lot of you are missing his point entirely. Albeit he didn't explain it very well to begin with, but what he's suggesting is actually quite reasonable. If I understand him correctly, what he's describing is a ROM to replace carrier stock ROMs, that is a collaborative effort so that it utilizes all of the most experienced PPC chefs' expertise.

Before I go any further, don't tell me: "different people want different things." Sure, maybe I like TF3D and someone else likes TF3D2, but *everyone* wants their ROM to be a.) fast and b.) stable. This is a universal request. The collaboration between MM and Silence is the perfect example of this, and is probably the closest thing to what the OP is describing: a base ROM that is both fast and stable, and capable of being customized from the ground up. Nothing like this exists, to my knowledge, for WM 6.5, for what I would consider obvious reasons. But the general consensus (according to my completely unscientific exposure to these boards) is that MR5 is the most stable ROM using WM6.5. So, per the OP's logic, whatever basic OS components MR5 uses should be tweaked for speed and stability by as many experts as possible, and then EVERY ROM should use this base package on which to make their customizations. That way, any ROM offered on the board conforms to a minimum standard of speed and stability, so that when anyone asks: "what's the fastest/most stable ROM" we can simply point them to the base packages and say: "These. If you want more customization, you may sacrifice a bit of speed, and some of the fun custom stuff may not be as stable."

This in no way is "communism." It's just more intelligent allocation of resources. If everyone wants speed and stability, there's no reason why we should have every chef working in isolation to achieve that goal. Silence and MM are living proof of this: they have created a very fast, very stable ROM. That ROM should, in my opinion, serve as the basis for any 6.1 ROMs going forward.

In a perfect world, the carrier ROMs as provided would do this, but as we all know they seem incapable of programming an interface that works.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro (Previously Diamond, Touch, 6800, 6700, Dell Axims, Various iPaqs and Philips Nino)

k000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark000 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

waste of a thread...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HERO

Leukay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLeukay is becoming a PPCGeeks regularLeukay is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000 View Post
waste of a thread...
You're post is a waste of a post :P
Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post

Several things:

1) I think we all understood pretty well.
2) You didn't clarify anything.
3) Saying that MR5 is the fastest and most stable is BS. There is no evidence to back this statement up. I use Juicy 8 and find it to be very fast and stable. To my knowledge there has yet to be a benchmark test performed on all of the latest releases to determine which is the fastest and stability is far too vague to make such a statement.
4) All ROMs replace the stock ROM. If he wants a collaborative effort, he can use one of the collaborated ROMs.
5) Different people want different things.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 AM
VIP Member

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k000 View Post
waste of a thread...
Agreed. Almost all the experienced PPCgeeks are unanimous in saying that although it is a nice idea it basically is not really realistic....
Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker

karate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

People have said this, but I have to put my say in.

What you just asked if like going to McFattie's and telling all the chefs to make the perfect hamburger and have nothing else on the menu. It might be better than anything ever, but not everyone likes hamburgers. And some people prefer sides as well.

The thing is people have different ideas about things. Sometimes you have to choose from one of two (or more) things. For speed you might have to sacrafice more pre-loaded apps. Some people can care less for speed and want the apps.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Random Phones>>Treo 800w>>Touch Pro>>Touch Pro 2
Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

EGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on repEGOvoruhk is halfway to VIP status based on rep

That's a terrible analogy. I can't go get a plain burger from McFattie's and run a CAB file to "install" thousand island dressing and turn it into a Big Mac

But if I had a plain ROM, I could run a few CAB files, and have it look just like many of the custom ROMs out there

Personally I think it's a good idea. Have a few base ROMs that consisted of things that aren't CAB installable (Like 6.5), and then just start releasing add-on packs. It would pretty be like a computer. You install Windows, and then whatever else you want
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 | HTC Hero

appzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to appzattak Send a message via MSN to appzattak Send a message via Yahoo to appzattak Send a message via Skype™ to appzattak

would be nice...but wont happen...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro