View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 AM
digitard
PPCGeeks Regular

digitard is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can we stop the ROM madness?

Being new, but not new, I kind of see both sides.

From someone who is getting their first WinMo phone that walks in here they see 15 ROM's with hunderds to thousdands of replies each. Each ROM has different configurations, WinMo builds, and so on. It can be really duanting, and confusing for those new to modding people who haven't had a chance to play around with things and really haven't discovered what they really like. They don't know, yet, all the little applications that they really like, or dont like, and all that good stuff.

So I can see the want to streamline things... hell I'm sure we all, at one point, have wished a few of the ROM's we like merged all their best parts and we had SuperROM!

But... then I see the flip side. Those exact same reasons are why I love there being so many ROM's. There are SO many pieces of software out there. Mainstream ones, and little things someone on XDA/PPC have created. Sometimes those pieces of software may be hidden away in one ROM and you never know they exist, but then in another they're up front and so "in your face' you notice them and now they're your favorite app/utility ever.

That's just my 2 cents. I can see both sides of the argument, but I have to side with the 'more the merrier' side. We really need all these setups because there are so many users, with so many wants, that we need tons of ROM's out there so we can find that chef that tend's to feel the same way we do and is the closest match for us.