View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 AM
mlin
Just call me Dr. Doctor

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Can we stop the ROM madness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro View Post
Notice my caveat "according to my completely unscientific exposure to these boards." That is my way of admitting that I do not have any evidence outside of what I've read. And I did not include "fastest" in my description, simply "most stable." The mere fact that you reacted the way you did proves my point: how is someone who hasn't tried every ROM supposed to be able to distinguish between real performance improvements and fun customizations?

Yes, but not all of them do so equally. That's really the problem in its entirety. Juicy and Silence and MM all do awesome things, but they each do some things better than others. Frankly if Silence is best at speed and MM is best at stability, there is no reason why we should have to choose "speed" or "stability," not when their collaboration could both a.) lessen their individual workloads and b.) produce an ultimately better core product.

I could not disagree more strongly. How you should be reading this is that people who are new to the scene have no way of effectively determining which ROM to install without just trying all of them. That's silly. The fact is that the core OS, whether it be 6.1 or 6.5, can be tweaked to an optimal level of speed and stability. This baseline level of performance should be included in ALL ROMs, as it would significantly reduce the workload of any chefs and probably noticeably increase their performance. I'm all for 1000s of customizations; I do not want to see the amount of ROMs decrease. I'd just like to be able to switch from one ROM to the next and have all that changes be the customizations and programs installed, not the call quality or battery life. (Within reason--battery life is, after all, a function of usage patterns.)

Now, I happen to agree with both of you in that this will most likely not happen--the amount of coordination necessary is unlikely to take place without some sort of management. But that doesn't mean the idea is a bad one, and most of the criticisms leveled here seem to confuse "make a baseline ROM" with "ZOMG I <3 SOVIET RUSSIA."
Things are becoming more and more clear as this thread progresses and that is that the newer members to this forum don't quite know what they are talking about.

On another notr, I went to buy a car recently and was too overwhelmed with all of my oftions. i think toyota should partner with mercedes and kia so that i can have the luxury of the benz, reliability of the toyota, and the cost of a kia. otherwise all of these car companies make my head spin! what am i supposed to do? actually go out and test drive different cars to see which one I like the most? thats insane!