PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: 6.1 Vs 6.5 Vs 7
I tried 6.5 and keep going back to 6.1 110 17.97%
I tried 6.5 and am Never going back to 6.1 276 45.10%
I tried 6.5 and back to 6.1... I'll wait for 7... 104 16.99%
Never bothered trying 6.5 122 19.93%
Voters: 612. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC RhodiumW - Sprint Branded
Carrier: Sprint

volDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to volDeus Send a message via Skype™ to volDeus
Re: Windows Mobile 6.1 / 6.5 / 7 ::UPDATE::

I have been playing with the 6.5 kitchen for a few days and I think it's great ... Titanium doesn't seem to be very useful to me until we get a good customizer app ... Neither does the new fullscreen start menu ... Everything else is lovely though and I'm using WA3 and SPB MS3 so those are both moot points ...

It may have a few issues but I think we can stand to just work around them for now considering all the nice changes to the standard wm gui elements and some other things like the new contacts app and PIE ...

It seems like the overall speed of the OS has improved as well ... and the kinetic scrolling/panning is to die for!!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Look I know 6.5 has some improvements over 6.1 but none of them are stability. MR5 is probably the most stable and if I had to run one thts what I would pick...

But my problems with 6.5 go a lot deeper...
Some here got me POed because they claim 6.5 is the FUTURE...
Well if that is the FUTURE of this platform then this platform is dead!

When you have things like android and iphone doing things in a so much better and user friendly way you have to ask is it really worth supporting the future of a platform that can't break itself away from the standard START button and widget plugin? I should trade stability for a navigation program? I would bet that the gurus here and at XDA could make that 6.5 frontend in about a week if they really wanted to for 6.1 but they haven't why? Because it's not really all that good!

Even SPB Mobile 3 is better than 6.5, TF3D2 is closer to where we should be than honeycomb and widget slider...IF it was expanded (or a private project that was constantly being developed and added to) then TF3D would do everything 6.5 does and more!

I voted that I'm waiting for Win7 simply because what the WM system needs is a complete overhaul of the user interface!
6.5 is nothing more than a paintjob of the same old start menu and launcher plugin. yes it tweaked how the slider functions work but yet still doesn't support multitouch and object resizing on the fly...Hell that technology has been around for 5 years now when does THAT future make it into my phone?

I much prefer something that would allow me to organize my screens and applets based on how I use my phone.

if 6.5 is the future of WM then I will pass and get an iphone once they add all the features they haven't gotten to yet.

And while I'm waiting I'll stick to the familiar 6.1 that I know will work when I need it to, will run any software I could buy and want and won't require me to reboot just to get a phone call!

You folks who like 6.5 enjoy it!
but stop chastizing the rest of us who put stability before fancy today screens and navigation systems!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Look I know 6.5 has some improvements over 6.1 but none of them are stability. MR5 is probably the most stable and if I had to run one thts what I would pick...

But my problems with 6.5 go a lot deeper...
Some here got me POed because they claim 6.5 is the FUTURE...
Well if that is the FUTURE of this platform then this platform is dead!

When you have things like android and iphone doing things in a so much better and user friendly way you have to ask is it really worth supporting the future of a platform that can't break itself away from the standard START button and widget plugin? I should trade stability for a navigation program? I would bet that the gurus here and at XDA could make that 6.5 frontend in about a week if they really wanted to for 6.1 but they haven't why? Because it's not really all that good!

Even SPB Mobile 3 is better than 6.5, TF3D2 is closer to where we should be than honeycomb and widget slider...IF it was expanded (or a private project that was constantly being developed and added to) then TF3D would do everything 6.5 does and more!

I voted that I'm waiting for Win7 simply because what the WM system needs is a complete overhaul of the user interface!
6.5 is nothing more than a paintjob of the same old start menu and launcher plugin. yes it tweaked how the slider functions work but yet still doesn't support multitouch and object resizing on the fly...Hell that technology has been around for 5 years now when does THAT future make it into my phone?

I much prefer something that would allow me to organize my screens and applets based on how I use my phone.

if 6.5 is the future of WM then I will pass and get an iphone once they add all the features they haven't gotten to yet.

And while I'm waiting I'll stick to the familiar 6.1 that I know will work when I need it to, will run any software I could buy and want and won't require me to reboot just to get a phone call!

You folks who like 6.5 enjoy it!
but stop chastizing the rest of us who put stability before fancy today screens and navigation systems!
I've read the thread nowhere do i chastize anyone except the op and that is when he read more people using 6.1 over 6.5 and that was because he was including people who hadn't even tried it out, so i thought that was dumb. Now as for stability i can't say that the 6.1 rom is soooo much more stable, maybe just a lil bit, but as for not realizing that 6.5 is the future then you are deceiving yourself. after about 1 month or so, i don't think windows will ever make a 6.1 device again, so wheter you want to jump on or not its up to you, you can stay running out of date devices that run 6.1 or when you finally feel like upgrading you'll be forced to 6.5 unless you don't plan on upgrading for about 2 years, then of course be my guess and wait for w7, but other then that, 6.5 is better by far. The only thing 6.1 has going for it is that its more stable, and to be honest, the build i'm using is just as stable as 6.1. People keep complaining about all these bugs that don't make it stable but its funny how my phone does none of those things. So like i said i'm not hating you for using 6.1 because its you and your phone, but if you think 6.1 is better then 6.5, then you're on your own, not even microsoft thinks that which is why 6.5 will be released this fall. Also i just noticed your a verizon user, you shouldn't be using 6.5 anyways because your phone doesn't even have the capabilities, so you of course experience massive bugs.
Also you're comparing tf3d2 to 6.5, that doesn't make anysense, because you can run tf3d2 on 6.1 and 6.5, but with 6.1 you're stuck with the old scrolling which is horrible compared to 6.5. you can alos run mobile shell on 6.5 so those statements don't add to your point. We are stictly talking about gui.

Last edited by p-slim; 05-14-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Bay Area Boss

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions

anybody using a verizon wireless tp shouldn't even be allowed to speak on 6.5, its obvious their phones aren't capable of running 6.5 but yet they keep coming in here saying how its not ready. of course if you're running it on a gimp phone you obviously will be experiencing the bugs DUH!!! So please anyone running a verizon tp we understand you don't believe its ready, but the truth is 6.5 is ready, your verizon gimped phone just isn't ready for primetime yet.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6850 Gimped Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wirelessness
Threadstarter

jucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
anybody using a verizon wireless tp shouldn't even be allowed to speak on 6.5, its obvious their phones aren't capable of running 6.5 but yet they keep coming in here saying how its not ready. of course if you're running it on a gimp phone you obviously will be experiencing the bugs DUH!!! So please anyone running a verizon tp we understand you don't believe its ready, but the truth is 6.5 is ready, your verizon gimped phone just isn't ready for primetime yet.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...86&postcount=1

Review on 6.5 and 6.1 in the above link...

6.1 out performed in loading time, memory usage and obviously stability given that 6.5 is officially only 3 days old.

the way i see it... 6.5 may have some neat features... (not really) and... it MAY look better or cooler given that its NEWER... but people i'm not sold on it... and... looking at the thread its NOT just verizon users who aren't adapting to 6.5....
Old 05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

volDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
you can alos run mobile shell on 6.5 so those statements don't add to your point. We are stictly talking about gui.
I agree ... I tried to keep it sweet and short in my post but ... Titanium needs more customization options before it's useful and the honeycomb start menu is nothing more than eye-candy (and I don't like the page stops ... should be able to flick down the whole thing) ... But from a cooking perspective, I think it's a waste of time to work with 6.1 bases anymore ...

I voted "6.5 and never going back" ... But (once again trying to keep it short) the changes in 6.5 that made me vote that way have nothing to do with Titanium or the new start menu ... I feel that GUI or front-end issues are a matter of individual preferance, and a moot point in this discussion ... Condemming 6.5 while citing them is counter-productive ... How many of us really even use any stock GUI in our ROMs anyway? .. No wait, don't answer that question .. The title of the thread is "Windows Mobile 6.1 / 6.5 / 7" ... not "Titanium vs TFlo3D vs MS3"
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jucytec View Post
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...86&postcount=1

Review on 6.5 and 6.1 in the above link...
I'm sorry but those numbers seem to be all over the place to me ... And the differences could very easily (and most likely do) have more to do with the ROM as a whole than they do with the base ... Even the title of the thread is evidence that it's a comparison of a collection of custom ROMs, not a comparison of different versions of WM ...
Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
I've read the thread nowhere do i chastize anyone except the op and that is when he read more people using 6.1 over 6.5 and that was because he was including people who hadn't even tried it out, so i thought that was dumb. Now as for stability i can't say that the 6.1 rom is soooo much more stable, maybe just a lil bit, but as for not realizing that 6.5 is the future then you are deceiving yourself. after about 1 month or so, i don't think windows will ever make a 6.1 device again, so wheter you want to jump on or not its up to you, you can stay running out of date devices that run 6.1 or when you finally feel like upgrading you'll be forced to 6.5 unless you don't plan on upgrading for about 2 years, then of course be my guess and wait for w7, but other then that, 6.5 is better by far. The only thing 6.1 has going for it is that its more stable, and to be honest, the build i'm using is just as stable as 6.1. People keep complaining about all these bugs that don't make it stable but its funny how my phone does none of those things. So like i said i'm not hating you for using 6.1 because its you and your phone, but if you think 6.1 is better then 6.5, then you're on your own, not even microsoft thinks that which is why 6.5 will be released this fall. Also i just noticed your a verizon user, you shouldn't be using 6.5 anyways because your phone doesn't even have the capabilities, so you of course experience massive bugs.
Also you're comparing tf3d2 to 6.5, that doesn't make anysense, because you can run tf3d2 on 6.1 and 6.5, but with 6.1 you're stuck with the old scrolling which is horrible compared to 6.5. you can alos run mobile shell on 6.5 so those statements don't add to your point. We are stictly talking about gui.
No your only problem is you seem to think every post in this thread is about you....
Hate to break it to you but you don't rate that high on my posting to list...
Yes you can run lots of things on 6.5 AND 6.1
Try pandora and tell me how you make out!
I'm sure I could list a dozen more examples of stuff that simply don't work with YOUR future!
But let me ask you this...
How many times have you had to reset your phone this week?
Me? NONE!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
No your only problem is you seem to think every post in this thread is about you....
Hate to break it to you but you don't rate that high on my posting to list...
Yes you can run lots of things on 6.5 AND 6.1
Try pandora and tell me how you make out!
I'm sure I could list a dozen more examples of stuff that simply don't work with YOUR future!
But let me ask you this...
How many times have you had to reset your phone this week?
Me? NONE!
Dude, way too hostile!
Every version of WM breaks something. Heck, different xip's, sip's and hacks break things within version releases. I had slight issues with MS3 and Pocket Shield with 6.1 (Silence 9) that cleared up with 6.5 (MR5). The majority of apps that are broken by the change to 6.5 will be patched eventually. Also, no version of WM has ever or likely will ever be even close to 100% stable. To achieve percieved stability, you would have to rigidly control all the processes running and limit their interaction and that's called the iPhone. What can't be fixed is that VZW screwed your phone. When I first saw the different spec I thought it was no biggie, it still had way more ram than a 6800/Mogul. I was wrong! The VZW version of this phone will have a significantly shorter usable life span. Enjoy 6.1, 6.5 isn't for you! BTW, if you're not having to restet from time to time, you're not playing hard enough!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Bay Area Boss

asphynx your obviously missing the point so its useless arguing with you. i dont post to rate high on your posting list, i post to help other users. now its obvious your phone doesnt meet the required specs of 6.5 but yet your in here saying its unstable. i dont want sprint tp users to be afraid of even trying 6.5 because people like you keep saying how unstable that is when its not true. and ive only reset my phone 2 times this week, which is the same number of times i do with 6.1

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro