PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

jacksplat is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 12/25/08 Verizon GPS Fix v2.0

I'm also curious as to why the fix is quick..but the tracking seems to lag several seconds (2-5) so I'll pass a road before the app says I'm even to it.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon

jacksplat is just getting started

stupid computer - double posted. sorry.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/ Driod Incredible
Carrier: The red headed stepchild
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level

depends on the program you use to interface with the GPS

I use OnCourse 2008 and it's almost dead on but google maps so to speak is way off. One of those "get what you pay for" ordeals.

Accepted NOT Expected
Old 05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Synned is a n00b

Hey guys I need some help

I stupidly tried to follow these directions even though I have a Sprint Touch Pro.

I ran your fix and ran PPST.exe

I lost my data connection. Hard-reset doesn't fix, so how can I get it back. Did that update the PRL?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG VS750 (Fathom)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Walt is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synned View Post
I lost my data connection. Hard-reset doesn't fix, so how can I get it back. Did that update the PRL?
I believe executing PPST.EXE does indeed delete the current PRL (or seriously corrupts it). That's why the next step is to dial *228, which on VZW phones, reloads a new PRL.

I have no idea how to get a new PRL for a Sprint phone, but you might want to ask over in a forum specifically for Sprint phones.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: verizon

cokoblazed is a n00b

I did everything, and got it to work...however everytime i turn on the phone I have to go HTC GPS Tool and open the port (and reset all the fields to what you tell us they need to be--ex: setting chip to Q7500)....Is there any way i can just have the phone automatically open the port by itself and also keep the fields the way i set them?

Also for some reason google maps keps telling me it is not compatible with my device...any idea why this is happening

And i'm tryting to use Amaze GPS, but keep getting "communication error"...any idea why this is so.

I know i'm asking a lot of questions and i apologize...thanx for any response that can be offered
Old 05-23-2009, 06:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG VS750 (Fathom)
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Walt is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokoblazed View Post
And i'm tryting to use Amaze GPS, but keep getting "communication error"...any idea why this is so.
I don't know if this is a symptom of this particular GPS fix, or simply a latent bug with VZW's firmware, but it appears that if an application "asks" Windows Mobile what the comm port for the GPS hardware is, Window Mobile reports back com0 instead of the correct com4.

Now, other apps like Google Maps and Windows Live have a way to set the comm port manually, and with those apps, you have to indeed manually set it to com4.

However, amAze GPS doesn't have a way to manually set it to com4. So, it attempts to use com0, and of course, you get the "communication error" when amAze GPS can't find your GPS hardware on com0.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:45 PM
Lurker

Bushy is a n00b

OK, so I'm a noob. I've followed your instructions and the GPS test works. Thank you. Now, showing my ignorance, what happens next? Meaning, what is now necessary to have a working GPS on the phone? Is this fix intended to enable the Verizon service or to enable a third party GPS software application?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/ Driod Incredible
Carrier: The red headed stepchild
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level

this makes is possibly to use gps software other than verizon's.... install google maps... setup up gps to comm4 .. buad rate 4800 then enable the gps on the main screen softkey menu
Old 05-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Lurker

Bushy is a n00b

Maybe I spoke prematurely. I assumed the GPS fix is working but now I question the assumption. I installed the HTC GPS Tool. I assume I need to have everything setup in this tool for the GPS to function, am I correct?

Here's what I do. In the tool, using "FUNCTION" I select Mode="Cold Start", CHIP="Q7500", SET Mode="Cold Start".
Com Port is Com4, Baud Rate is 4800

Then I click "Open Port" and watch a scroll of data commence in the large text box. I assumed this meant that the GPS was now functioning.
However, I notice in this screen that "Satellite Used" remains at Zero as well as "Satellite Fixed".

Then I open Google Maps , it's manually configured for Com4 @ 4800 Baud. When I select "Use GPS" I get a upper screen bar "Seeking GPS Satellites" and then an ultimate failure message "cannot find Satellite.

Am I doing anything wrong?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro