PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

omahajs is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 12/25/08 Verizon GPS Fix v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjohnny View Post
I'm tellin' you guys - try this - it really works. I have fast connections all day -.....I set to receive/instantiate GPS once an hour. And it's FREE....
I get no lock at all with the geo app you mention. With GPSTool it takes awhile to get a fix indoors, but with either iGuidance or PocketMap Navigator I get locks pretty quick - whether gpstool is run or not.

I guess I'll try the geo app outside when I get a chance to see if I can get a lock that way.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
So when you want to stop trying to kill posts from Users that are actually trying to help others in the community, you can come talk to me about the GPS.
Relax. I pointed out that I didn't think it was doing anything. I gave my reasons for this opinion. I pointed out that I hadn't tested it myself. And I pointed out that if the GPS driver did indeed use the downloaded almanac supplied by QuickGPS it should make a huge difference. I see that as a fair commentary, presenting both possible outcomes and my thoughts on the matter, for what they are worth. That's not trying to kill posts.

Since it's working so well for you, I will give it a try.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: VZW Droid X

dimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on rep

So Bored. How goes the front on the aGPS Research?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker

FormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on repFormerPalmOS is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Can't get QuickGPS to run. I can install it OK, but when trying to launch it I get an error about it not being signed with a trusted certificate or missing a component. I have the Windows Mobile security policy set to allow unsigned applications to run (with a prompt) - I never got the prompt - just the error.

Can someone who has successfully installed QuickGPS on a stock Verizon Touch Pro post the cab that was used? It also seems there may be some registry changes necessary (due to server name changes) - I have those but it matters little until I can get the executable to run.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro2

lbjohnny is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahajs View Post
I get no lock at all with the geo app you mention. With GPSTool it takes awhile to get a fix indoors, but with either iGuidance or PocketMap Navigator I get locks pretty quick - whether gpstool is run or not.

I guess I'll try the geo app outside when I get a chance to see if I can get a lock that way.
It needs to get the first fix. Then after that it keeps "checking" for sats evry hour or whatever you set it to. The built in Gps will "remember" sat location so that's why subsequent locks are faster. After you've had GPS off for a while the GPS forgets sat location. That's where this app comes in.

I actually set it to start checking an hour before I wake so by then it's ready to go all day. It does seem to take an extra 15% off battery a day but I keep it charged while driving or at my desk so no biggie for me.

If you haven't already - see post a few pages back by FormerPalmOS. It makes more sense if you see how GPS works (if you already don't know that is)
Old 12-31-2008, 05:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Verizon Touch Pro2

lbjohnny is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushisource View Post
Is anyone else having the issue that every time they start the HTC GPS tool the settings have reverted to default?
I never touch the settings - it's always on com port 4. I don't have to mess with chip type or cold boot etc. - It works fine on SIRF (default)- I think the settings mentioned are un-necessary to do as I've tested this probably a hundred times.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPalmOS View Post
Can't get QuickGPS to run. I can install it OK, but when trying to launch it I get an error about it not being signed with a trusted certificate or missing a component. I have the Windows Mobile security policy set to allow unsigned applications to run (with a prompt) - I never got the prompt - just the error.
I now believe this is a missing component. If I change my security policy to disallow unsigned applications running it won't even start (then again, neither will Total Commander or several other can't-live-without-'em applications). So it isn't signed, but that isn't the problem. It is missing something.

Any ideas? The .cab file I used is dated 1/27/08. It contains 12 files, all of which I confirmed installed:

GPSAux.dll
QGPS_BUT_L.bmp
QGPS_BUT_L2.bmp
QGPS_BUT_P.bmp
QGPS_BUT_P2.bmp
QuickGPS.exe
QuickGPS.exe.409.mui
QuickGPS.htm
Bg_L2.bmp
Bg_P2.bmp
QuickGPS.lnk
QuickGPS_Help.lnk

It adds a service entry to HKLM\Services - I have confirmed that is there but it seems this service does not start or isn't working - I don't see it in TaskMgr nor is there an icon in the lower right corner of the today screen (even after soft reset with TF3D disabled).
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: VZW Droid X

dimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on repdimitri is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
I now believe this is a missing component. If I change my security policy to disallow unsigned applications running it won't even start (then again, neither will Total Commander or several other can't-live-without-'em applications). So it isn't signed, but that isn't the problem. It is missing something.

Any ideas? The .cab file I used is dated 1/27/08. It contains 12 files, all of which I confirmed installed:

GPSAux.dll
QGPS_BUT_L.bmp
QGPS_BUT_L2.bmp
QGPS_BUT_P.bmp
QGPS_BUT_P2.bmp
QuickGPS.exe
QuickGPS.exe.409.mui
QuickGPS.htm
Bg_L2.bmp
Bg_P2.bmp
QuickGPS.lnk
QuickGPS_Help.lnk

It adds a service entry to HKLM\Services - I have confirmed that is there but it seems this service does not start or isn't working - I don't see it in TaskMgr nor is there an icon in the lower right corner of the today screen (even after soft reset with TF3D disabled).
I have the OEM of QuickGPS. Scrosler's Phase 2 OEM folder had it. When it's cooked into the ROM everything works. If someone can tell me how to create an CAB from an OEM I can see what I can do.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2/ Driod Incredible
Carrier: The red headed stepchild
Threadstarter

lllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation levellllboredlll can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:

GPSAux.dll
QGPS_BUT_L.bmp
QGPS_BUT_L2.bmp
QGPS_BUT_P.bmp
QGPS_BUT_P2.bmp
QuickGPS.exe
QuickGPS.exe.409.mui
QuickGPS.htm
Bg_L2.bmp
Bg_P2.bmp
QuickGPS.lnk
QuickGPS_Help.lnk

Quote:

Can someone who has successfully installed QuickGPS on a stock Verizon Touch Pro post the cab that was used? It also seems there may be some registry changes necessary (due to server name changes) - I have those but it matters little until I can get the executable to run.
OEM ROM's sometimes dont run all applications. You might need to relax the security with a regedit. I'm not sure which one off of the top of my head but that's what search is for also.

Accepted NOT Expected
Old 01-01-2009, 12:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

mikeo1313 is just getting started

I'm on a stock oem rom, (never flashed nor unlocked), I wasn't getting any locks and getting pretty pissed. I went outside and within 3 seconds got 7 locks. I tried various different settings, the longest its lasted was 6 seconds.

I only attempted v2 of this fix.. for me it works great!!! As others have suggested I set the gps port & baud manually for google maps, its locked immediately on 8.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro